caffeine/Zoloft

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

caffeine/Zoloft

Postby fastpage on May 5th, 2003, 9:44 am

I have been a very heavy coffree dirinker for thirty years (10-15 cups a day). About two weeks ago I gave it up except for 1 cup in the morning. I also went on Zoloft about a month ago at my Doctor's suggestion, even though I didn't really think I needed it. Between these 2 measures my symptoms have improved dramatically. The "pins and needles" sensations have been reduced by 80% and the twitches have subsided in strength and duration, except for my calves which still twitch 24/7. I don't think that caffeine was the cause of my twitching but eliminating it, as has so often been recommended on this site, has really helped. Although I am not usually a fan of taking drugs for problems, the Zoloft has done an amazing job of relieving my underlying anxiety. I can sleep and life is much easier, even if I am still concerned about these symptoms.
fastpage

Postby Jenn311 on May 5th, 2003, 10:10 am

Hey Fastpage....

I am glad to hear that you are doing much better! 10-15 cups a day? Whao buddy...that is a lot of caffeine! How did you ever get any sleep at all? Glad to hear you are kicking the habit. I am trying to cut down on coffee too, and am drinking only 1-2 cups of half-caf. a day. That has really helped me as well. Now if we can only switch to green tea!
:wink: ~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby fastpage on May 5th, 2003, 11:30 am

Jenn: Addictive personality you know. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing to excess. I could drink a pot of coffee at midnight and be asleep 30 min. later. Just got used to it ever since college. Had a lot of headaches the first week off it but it was most assuredly worth it. I feel much better. As for green tea, I tried it on an empty stomach in the morning and it went right back down the sink. :cry:

Hope all is well with you Jenn. --Graig
fastpage

Postby Jenn311 on May 5th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Graig...

Ya know I OD'd on expresso one time: I had stayed up two nights in a row during finals week when I was in college 10 yrs ago, taking shots of expresso to stay awake. Well, about 5 am I tried to lay down to get a little sleep, but I started hallucinating that there were demons at the foot of my bed! No joke! It was so real! And I couldn't move or wake up..I am not sure what this is called, but in Japanese it is known as "Kanashibari". Needless to say, I never drank expresso again. Ever have an experience like that one?
I kinda like green tea, but I think it's an acquired taste. THe first time I ever had it I was in this Japanese restaurant and I thought surely they had given me seaweed extract. I about lost my lunch too.
Hope you are well too. So what is your current addiction?
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby tlotoxl on May 6th, 2003, 1:47 am

kanashibari? cool new vocabulary for me ;) it sounds like sleep paralysis to me, and it's something that i experience pretty regularly. i think it is thought to be responsible for a lot of the tales of alien abductions, and i can easily believe that. i had one episode when i took midafternoon map and i was convinced an evil spirit was trying to possess my body.

nice dictionary definition here:
http://www.jekai.org/entries/aa/00/no/aa00no44.htm
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on May 6th, 2003, 7:14 am

Hey thanks Al...

I have always wondered what that was in English...never thought to look it up. It's reallly scary though, isn't it? It seems totally real when you are going through it! Hope you are doing well..
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby fastpage on May 6th, 2003, 5:27 pm

Jenn: I have never had the sleep experiences you describe-at least not while drinking coffee. I did however get so tired a few times studying or working, that I would start to see things that weren't there. Come to think of it, maybe the coffee did contribute. I lived on that and cigarettes when finals came around. As for my current addiction, well... I never used drugs, I don't drink, smoke, or use coffee anymore and my wife is very tired lately. I'll leave it at that. :wink:
fastpage

Postby Jenn311 on May 6th, 2003, 7:00 pm

Ha ha Graig...

You are too funny :wink: !
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management