Any one else suffer from GERD (acid reflux) or hiatal hernia

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Any one else suffer from GERD (acid reflux) or hiatal hernia

Postby Nole on April 27th, 2003, 2:02 pm

Besides the twitches, which I must say are 95% cured, I barely twitch and when I do they are no biggy, I just get some small ones from now and then, and some days have none at all. I now have Gerd/ with a hiatal hernia, very painful at times, cant eat much of anything, my body doesn't give up, if its not the twitching than its the Gerd. Anyone else have Gerd, I would love to see how you deal with it. I had endoscopy, on Protonix and Zantac. Thanks for any info!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby uber on April 27th, 2003, 4:33 pm

yes ive suffered from gastro reflux quite a few times, another symptom of anxiety :\
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nole on April 27th, 2003, 6:57 pm

GERD is not from anxiety it is an actual disease. Many people get heart burn on occasion, but Gerd is very frequent and very painful. Your lower esphogeal spincter actually is loose causing reflux, in my cause my hiatal hernia is causing the LES to be loose and is causing the reflux. It hurts to eat anything, I have been put on prescription meds that have improved the symptoms alot. Gerd sufferers have to stay on meds usually life long and have a very strict diet, we cant have caffiene, choc, spicy, sweet, mint, tomotoes, vinegar, pretty much everything. Like anything stress can make it worse but it is not caused from anxiety, but thanks for your post! Just curious if any other bfsers had it too!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Brian_B on April 27th, 2003, 10:58 pm

I take prevacid every day...they werent sure if I had GERD but I did have an ulcer so Im supposed to take prevacid every day...not sure if thats for life or not though
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Craig on May 16th, 2003, 3:01 pm

It seems like there are quite a few people on this board who suffer from GERD or similar maybe less noticeable symptoms. I get heartburn/reflux all of the time and also had an ulcer a couple of years ago. Is it a result of stress/anxiety or something completely separate?

Nole - have you noticed any correlation between your twitching and GERD? Also, were you treating your GERD when your twitching first began or was it something you found afterwards?
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Brian_B on May 17th, 2003, 12:21 am

for me at least I had GERD before twitcing. april of 2000 I was in hospital with stomach bleeding and they said I had GERD and was on medicine for it. This was before I started twitching, that happened over a year later. I started having twitches(lot of them) right after sept 11 2001, but I didnt go to doctor and find out what it was until may 2002. Thats when they told me it wasnt anything serious and not to worry about, but I take neurontin now which helps somewhat

Im a cop like I said before so I also wonder if the immediate intense stress following sept 11 might have been a cause as to why I started twitching a lot but I dont know for sure.

thats a date no one will ever forget, but I do remember just watching cnn all day and all night and remember how scared(and stressed out) I was soon after that

for couple months we wore black mourning band on our badges so just looking down every day and seeing that also just made me remember it more than I did already.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on May 17th, 2003, 1:34 am

Hey Brian...

SOrry to hear about all your troubles. You know around here I always see bumper stickers that say "Thank a Cop". Unfortunately the only ones I see are the ones writing me speeding tickets, and I don't feel much like thanking them!. But what are the chances you're gonna write me a ticket?! (unless you live in the Austin/SA area...) So thanks for being a cop. I know that is a hard job and I sure as hell wouldn't put my life on the line everyday for what you guys get paid!
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby aklap on June 20th, 2003, 10:11 pm

Hi,

Yup, been there - done that. Take a look at my post in "B12". All you GERDer's out there I think you'll find it interesting.

I felt like crap for 1.5 years. Went from medication to medication. Nothing really helped. Doctors said I just had to live with it. No caffine, no choc., no spicy foods, blah, blah, blah - you know the drill. I decided to try a gluten free diet (no wheat). I also was taking Fish/Flax oil pills to help heal the stomach lining. It's a very restrictive diet as far a the gluten thing is concerned, but I can now have tomato products, chocolate,caffine - with moderation of course.

Good luck!!
Al
aklap
Interested
Interested

Postby Nole on June 22nd, 2003, 12:51 pm

Craig-

To answer your question, I had the twitching first, that started June of 2002. The GERD/hiatal hernia started in Jan. 2003, right after xmas (which I think may have triggered it along with some weight gain). I am feeling much better now, the meds seem to work, I have lost weight which has helped the most, and have a restricted diet. I dont think the bfs or gerd are related at all. The BFs is barely there,and I see no correlations between the gerd attacks and twitches, actually twitches get milder as the weeks go by. I had an endoscopy done, no problems or damage other than the fact that they found the hernia that is causing the reflux...I see my gastro on a regular basis and he says I am doing fine and healing nicely...only time will tell...I see him again in two weeks!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nole on June 22nd, 2003, 12:55 pm

Also like anything stress/anxiety can worsen any symptoms but GERD is an actual disease that is caused from the Lower Esphogael Spincter becoming loose from things such as obesity, poor diet habits/particular foods, hiatal hernias. gerd.com has good info on it and a support group also.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management