Forearm Muscle Cramping

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Forearm Muscle Cramping

Postby CalebsMom on October 10th, 2005, 6:51 pm

Has anyone here ever experienced this?

I have read some people's posts about muscle cramping. Can this happen in smaller muscle groups, like the upper part of your forearm as well? I periodically (over the past couple of weeks) get this aching tightness in the upper muscle of my left forearm. When this happenes, my left forearm "feels" weak, especially at the wrist. There is no objective weakness, just perceived.

I don't know if it is from the strain of holding my 4-month old son or not, but it has me worried. I also have fibromyalgia and sometimes i am not sure what causes what, but I do know that I have been fixating on this taut muscle and it is causing me much unneeded anxiety.

Thanks,

Ali
CalebsMom

Postby Dianna on October 10th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Hi Ali, I too had the same problem when I first came down with this BFS
only mine was both forearms if I would press on it it ached awful more
like a deep muscle ache. I too thought it was from carrying my boys
around all the time when I would put them down my wrist area would
shake bad.
It eventually went away after a couple of months. If you
hold your arm out straight and move your fingers up and down kind of
wave like it helps loosen it up also soak in the tub with the hottest water
you can stand lay back and just let your arms float do it for atleast twenty
minutes when your done put muscle rub on and have someone take their
thumbs and massage it in and if you have hot water bottles or a heating
pad sleep with them on your arms it helps alot keep doing it and it should
go away. I hope this helps I always used myoflex muscle rub it dose not
stink.

Dianna
Dianna
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby wjjw on October 10th, 2005, 8:37 pm

Hi - I get the same in both forearms, and once in a while in my biceps. Happens a few times a week, and usually only lasts for a few minutes. I'd say its more like a tightness, not a full cramp, but its definitely annoying. I don't get weakness (I've actually tried pushups while they were like this :) ), but I could easily see it causing perceived weakness because it makes you want to relax the muscles--to prevent them from getting any tighter.

--Bill
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby puggriffey on October 11th, 2005, 1:34 pm

I get this all the time - in fact, I'd say it's more of a persistent condition now in my left arm. A lot of times, if it's at its worst, it almost feels like the muscles in there are made of "tissue paper" when I make a fist or lift something heavy - crinkly, weak feeling. I've had the twitching in there too - index finger a lot, pinky and outside of palm sometimes, etc. All in all, somedays, my wrist feels "sore" but not true pain.

I found nothing really "helps" this, and it never goes away, but it becomes almost a non-factor, especially when you don't think about it. Fixing on it can make it really bad - in fact, my one doctor really thought I had carpal tunnel and/or ulner nerve irritation - only problem - the tests didn't bear it out.

I too have two small ones at home, and a lot of us who carry them around from time to time complain of this. My best advice - let it go...it is nothing sinister, and my neuro confirmed to me several times that the problem you are describing, if anything, is a touch of nerve irritation, and that nothing "dreaded" presents with this type of "sensory" pattern of complications.

Hope that helps. Trust me - you can see in my early posts, I used to complain of this often, and 20 months in, I'm alive and kicking with nothing (other than my good friends the twitches) to show for it...

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby migolivas on October 11th, 2005, 3:38 pm

puggriffey wrote:I too have two small ones at home, and a lot of us who carry them around from time to time complain of this. My best advice - let it go...it is nothing sinister, and my neuro confirmed to me several times that the problem you are describing, if anything, is a touch of nerve irritation, and that nothing "dreaded" presents with this type of "sensory" pattern of complications.

Thanks for posting this. This is one of my last lingering areas of concern.

I have two small children and there are times my arms feel "weak" when I carry them. They also seem to tire more quickly than they used to. However, I have had tests conducted and they confirmed that I have no true weakness.

So, I am just chalking this up to BFS as well. Posts like yours help reassure me that this is indeed the case.
migolivas
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Mark S on October 11th, 2005, 5:00 pm

I get this too for very brief moments. It's weird and when it all started I got very severe cramps in the legs. Now that is reduced.

If you are worried about als - don't. I just talked with a guy at a birthday party recently and he knew a guy with als that started in the hand and forearm. In just a matter of months the weakness was so bad he had to have a brace on just to utilize the extremity at all. Moreover, he was forced to seek medical help because the hand was virtually not usable.

Your minor cramping is due to carrying kids and a hightened awareness of your body - all this IMHO.

MarkS
Mark S
Saint
Saint

Postby puggriffey on October 11th, 2005, 5:36 pm

Honestly, I truly believe we all will never QUITE feel the same again (muscular-wise). A little more achey, a little easier to fatigue, a little more apt to shake when lifting something or exerting pressure on muscles, etc. It will ebb and flow for all of us, but much like someone with a chronic bad back, achy knees, or migraines (and we call them "LUCKY" because they actually have a tangible medical diagnosis? tell that to the migraine sufferer...) this is our little cross to bear, and for that I'll take twitches over arthritis or serious IBS any day (OK, I know - the twitches are REALLY annoying).

Smile - enjoy your day!!!

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby puggriffey on October 11th, 2005, 5:37 pm

Honestly, I truly believe we all will never QUITE feel the same again (muscular-wise). A little more achey, a little easier to fatigue, a little more apt to shake when lifting something or exerting pressure on muscles, etc. It will ebb and flow for all of us, but much like someone with a chronic bad back, achy knees, or migraines (and we call them "LUCKY" because they actually have a tangible medical diagnosis? tell that to the migraine sufferer...) this is our little cross to bear, and for that I'll take twitches over arthritis or serious IBS any day (OK, I know - the twitches are REALLY annoying).

Smile - enjoy your day!!!

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby CalebsMom on October 13th, 2005, 1:05 am

I can't stop watching my forearm, looking to see if it twitches.

Is it bad if you can barely see the twitches, but just feel them? It is almost like it isn't twitching, but still slightly cramping or maybe it is a spasm. It has been going on like this for 4 or 5 days now and I am convinced that my left forearm muscle is wasting, because it is a 1/2 inch smaller than my right.

My husband says that is because I am right-handed. Is this true? I think my left forearm looks smaller, but I guess I don't remember comparing it to my right one until this anxiety over ALS started.

Could my forearm muscle actually be wasting without noticing any weakness or deficit in strength in that arm/hand? Is it possible for me to be causing the spasm/cramp by my obsession with the muscle, flexing it, looking at it constantly, etc.?

Sorry for the ramble, but I can't sleep...I am so tired of this fear!

Ali
CalebsMom

Postby Mark S on October 13th, 2005, 8:09 am

Ali,

Be at peace. Is this the only place you are twitching?

I have been twitching almost 7 months now. 4 or 5 months ago I became obsessed with my calves because they twitch so badly that it is almost unbelievable. I started measuring them. My left was 3/4 of an inch smaller. WASTING! I knew it. Guess what...they are still the same size.

It is very typical to have asymetrical body parts.

From what I have read a muscle can weak without wasting in als though the wasting follows quickly after it. Wasted muscles are weak. Tom Watson's caddy could not close his hand for example and the muscle was wasted.

Your mind is very powerful. I have been where you are. Just relax and focus on your family, friends, hobbies, whatever.

Have you seen a doctor?

MarkS
Mark S
Saint
Saint

Postby CalebsMom on October 13th, 2005, 10:45 am

Mark,

No, my forearm is not the only place I am twitching. I started out with widespread twitching all over my body: calves, thighs, biceps, forearms, hands, feets, abdomen, and even ankles! The widespread twitching has calmed down over the past few months (or maybe I am just getting used to it), but this sensation in my forearm is just different. I seem to see an occasional slow twitch, but mostly it just feels as though the muscle is really tight.

I have seen my GP many times (had him check my left calf that I thought was wasting- it wasn't :) ) and have seen my Neuro once. He did not do an EMG...didn't feel it was necessary...said there was NO WEAKNESS at all. I am still not experiencing any weakness, except perhaps the occasional perceived weakness. I have another appointment with my Neuro in early December.

Thanks for your reply.

Ali
CalebsMom

Postby Schuey on October 13th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Ali, please stop worrying. Do you think there is a different cause for your twitching in your arm than the rest of your body? NO WAY. This will pass. Many of us have had the same. Try and relax and stop focusing on it, you will make it much worse in your mind...

Schuey
Schuey
Saint
Saint

Postby puggriffey on October 13th, 2005, 9:52 pm

Ali-

Honestly - I really, truly do get EXACTLY what you describe - all the time. In fact, my left forearm is defintely "smaller" than my right, which for me is odd because I am left handed. If you focus on your body enough, every little idiosyncracy will seem like a MAJOR problem. I speak from experience. However, I am 20 months in - and no problem. You will survive.

I get the "subtle" twitches - kind of a crampy, jumpy feeling inside the hand/arm, but not the "boomer" twitches you can see, all the time. It is nothing (except annoying). Many of us on here get this. Do everything you can NOT to focus on it and worry about it, and you will see this will subisde in days or a week tops. It may never fully go away (the feeling), but you are just fine. Welcome to BFS.

In my case, I focused/worried/convinced myself of impending doom about my forearm for weeks, and I felt awful. It finally took an EMG in that arm coming back totally normal to get me right, and wouldn't you know it...6 days later, my horribly diseased arm was all better - not even a twitch. The mind is VERY, VERY powerful - think about it...if it controls when your muscles move voluntarily, is it soooo unthinkable that it can be causing the discomfort, sensations, etc. you are so afraid of? Absolutely not.

Smile - relax, and enjoy your day.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby Lorgirl on October 14th, 2005, 8:29 am

Pug

I'm feeling the same as Ali right now. I have that darn contraction fasciculation in my forearm/wrist area AND now my elbow has started twitching. That just does it sporatically. Now I'm stressing on that because I think I read somewhere that ALS spreads through a muscle group/limb, so I'm thinking that it is spreading. I think it bothers me so much because it seems that so many of you guys have sporatic random twitches in different parts of your bodies and my forearm one is stuck there and now this elbow one is in the same place now for days off and on. That along with the achy bicep.

Not that I'm trying to convince myself that it is something other than BFS, but I am really starting to wonder if I am having ulnar nerve issues. The spot on my forearm/wrist is where the ulnar nerve is and is also goes thru your elbow.

I don't have the reassurance of the EMG, but I'm thinking that is the only thing that will totally satisfy me.
Lorgirl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Forearm Muscle Cramping

Postby Watereddown on February 9th, 2014, 9:48 pm

I know this post is really old, but i thought I'd bump this rather than create a new thread.

I've been getting different symptoms it seems every other day. If its not one thing its another. Lately, I've been having this extremely odd tension type cramp in my left forearm, the outer part below the crease of the bicep. It is such a strange sensation. I first felt it in my right forearm, but it seems to have migrated over to my left side. I feel it throughout the day, although I won't go as far as saying its painful. Well, it's not painful at all. It just feels like someone is grabbing my arm there. When this happened to my right forearm, it lasted for a couple of days and was gone. But my left forearm is going on to two weeks now. At first, I was attributing it to anxiety (I've had a lot lately) as when I'm anxious I tend to ball up my fist unknowingly. But lately, I'm beginning to feel this is a little more serious than that. Anyone that is still active here still get this kind of tension like cramp in your forearms? And if you do, have you found anything that helps? I keep fearing that it is progressing into something more than just a tension like cramp. Any advice is appreciated!

(**BTW i feel this several times throughout the day (10-15 times) and not something I feel once or twice a week. I can also self impose it on myself by doing a simple movement with my arm)
Watereddown

Re: Forearm Muscle Cramping

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics