Symptoms gone after taking meds

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Symptoms gone after taking meds

Postby Katie on April 2nd, 2003, 11:49 am

Hello all,

I have been twitching since a month after the birth of my son 7+ months ago. I also had joint pain in my hands, feet and neck and was beginning to think I might have fibromyalgia along with BFS. I've been scheduled for an EMG next week, but thinking of canceling it for right now. A little over a week ago, I was exposed to strong chemical odors in my apartment [from renovation work being done next door] and had a very bad asthmatic reaction. I was put on a high dose of Prednisone [which I'm still on but not being tapered off of] and guess what -- all symptoms are gone. No twitching, no joint pain -- for the first time in 7 months. The relief of joint pain makes sense because Prednisone is a corticosteroid / anti-inflammatory, but I'm curious that the twitching has stopped.

Anyway, it's really curious. I'm glad for the relief!
Katie
Katie

Postby Davidd on April 2nd, 2003, 9:29 pm

Katie--

That is truely amazing! Why exactly is the medication used for asthma? I have no idea why the medicine would cause the twitching to stop but count your blessings, cancel that EMG and live happily ever after. :) I really hope they are gone for good...but if you'd still feel better about going for that EMG then you should. But, since you are symptom free there's nothing for that thing to pick up in terms of anything being wrong! Keep us posted.

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on June 10th, 2003, 11:30 pm

Prednisone is used for LOTS of things, from infections to diseases, such as tonsilitis, bronchitis, arthritis, Lupus, Sinus infections, skin rashes, muscle inflamation, nervous system and spinal cord injuries (usually Solumedrol is used rather than Prednisone for the last two), and many, many other conditions.

Your body makes about 4 to 6 mg of natural Prednisone a day from your Thyroid gland. Some people for some reason, it stops producing it, so they have to take a 5mg pill a day to make-up for it.

The side effects of Prednisone are usually pretty bothersome and can be mood swings, emotional problems such as crying for no apparent reason, sweating, night sweats, shakiness, insomnia and about a zillion other things as well.

Trust me, Prednisone does not make BFS go away. If your symptoms went away at the same time you took your prescription, then it was a coincidence.

I have taken Prednisone several times since my BFS started and have found the exact opposite. My twitches got worse and so has several other people I know that have BFS that took Prednisone for various ailments.

I'm glad your symptoms have stopped, but if the "cure" was as simple as Prednisone, we would have found it by now. I hope you stay symptom free! :-)
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management