Rocky's Story

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Rocky's Story

Postby Rocky on March 4th, 2003, 1:03 pm

Hello All,

Just to give you a little background about myself, I turned 34 years old today and I have been dealing with BFS for 16 years. I experience fasics all over my body. My first twitches started after being robbed, stabbed, beaten and left for dead on a NYC street. I was just a kid. While healing from my injuries I started experiencing twitching in my triceps muscle. For many years I kept this to myself as it progressed throughout my body. I think I cried every night for a month straight at one point. When I could not take it anymore, I told my mother and she sent me to see a neurologist. That is when I was first diagnosed with BFS. I was given I medication called Buspar, which did not help me.

FAST FORWARD---------->

Today I live in Virginia with my wife and two children. I have seen many doctors that could not do anything for me. So I decided to do something for myself. I have researched this disorder and learned that there are a number of things that we can do to give us some relief. NUMBER ONE - (Very, Very Important) Do not allow your mind to tell you that there is something wrong other than the BFS!!!!!!!! If you worry, you will not stop twitching until you stop worrying. Number Two - QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOLIC BEAVERAGES! NUMBER THREE - Ask your doctor about a medication called Neurontin. (It has helped me) Number Four - Do Not Worry About Anything. Number Five - Exercise, drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest. Number Six - At All Cost, try your best not to get sick and use cold medications that make you drowsy like Night-Quil. I have noticed an increased level of nerve excitability following the use of such medicines. I am not a doctor or a medical professional and you should always consult with your doctor first, however I can almost guarantee that if you take my advise on the things I listed above, you will at the very least enjoy some relief from these miserable twitches.
Be Strong!
Rocky

CAN'T AGREE WITH THE ALCOHOL RECOMMENDATION

Postby ANDRU on March 8th, 2003, 1:13 am

Sorry, Rocky, but alcohol seems to have no discernable effect on me. I started twitching 3 years before I ever took a drink and when I started, I didn't notice a change one way or the other. Coffee, on the other hand, seems to make me MORE AWARE of the twitches, more sensitive to them (though I wouldn't say that coffee CAUSES the twitches). Marijuana has the same effect -- hightened awareness and sensitivity.

I totally agree with your main point -- stress and worry DO make BFS worse. (See my post about RELAXING). Anyway, good luck to you and I hope you have lots of good days!!!!!!

---Andru
ANDRU

CAN'T AGREE WITH THE ALCOHOL RECOMMENDATION

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS