Copper - Interesting Stuff

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Copper - Interesting Stuff

Postby John_JR on January 29th, 2005, 3:44 pm

I know, I can hear you all saying "here we go again, another supplement cure." But I haven’t posted in a while and I wanted to share some info on this discovery.

I've been supplementing average 8mg daily copper and have gradually documented an improvement in my condition. Granted we may all be twitching here for different reasons, but it has had a noticeable effect on my condition.

Background:
It all stared by a post I saw on here about a year ago. Person said their twitching had all but gone completely and that all they were taking at the time was a high copper dose and an anti-viral drug. This really got me thinking because all of you here familiar with my posts know that I feel strongly that my BFS is related to some type of infection.

I was reading a copper fact page and saw a study by Walter Hangarter and John R. Sorenson who gave 1,140 people with rheumatoid arthritis intravenous doses of a copper salicylate compound. For 89 percent of them, joint swelling decreased and joint mobility increased. Fevers and other signs of rheumatic activity went into remission for an average of three years. Incase you didn’t do the math yet, that’s about 1,014 people that got a benefit from the treatment.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is long thought (and still is) to be caused by some type of auto-immune condition. Now are now discovering it might be due to a microbe living deep in the joint tissue itself, which induces the body into an auto-immune reaction. Many antibiotics, anti-vials, and yes now copper have been beneficial to arthritic sufferers, and more is still being learned about the pathogens that cause auto-immune diseases.

Thinking outside the box:
I've seen many discussions here about BFS and a possible auto-immune connection. It doesn't take long to connect the dots between what we know about arthritis, auto-immune conditions, BFS, and now copper. Incase you missed it; rheumatoid arthritis = auto-immune, BFS = auto-immune (possibly), auto-immune = infection, and copper fights infection, promotes repair. However, don’t get confused; I did not say BFS = rheumatoid arthritis.

Why it might help (that's a big might):
Traditionally here, people have suggested taking mineral supplements with the mindset that your body is deficient in something. For example, you twitch because your body lacks B6 vitamin. This is not the case here. Copper is possible functioning more like a type of chemotherapy. I'm a hobbyist in saltwater aquaria and we traditionally treat fish that have parasitic/bacterial infections with copper baths. Copper is very toxic in large amounts - let that be a warning. However, copper does helps the body produce red blood cells, strengthen immune system, and superoxide dismutase (SOD) - a therapeutic intracellular anti-inflammatory enzyme. Feel free to research copper on your own, as a BFS sufferer I have found it to be very very interesting. Be mindful that Zinc and Copper are ionic opposites (too much of one can deplete the other).

What I have noticed about my condition:
A lot less twitching. Not cured yet, but who knows. Or this might be just a placebo effect and wishful thinking.

Disclaimer:
I'm neither a doctor, nor a medical or supplement expert. Please take this info for what it worth and draw your own conclusions. Copper is dangerous in LARGE amounts and I would NEVER imply anyone taking it without consulting a doctor first.
John R.
John_JR

copper

Postby joeyata1 on January 29th, 2005, 4:35 pm

so you take cooper vitamins? if so were do you buy? whats a safe amount to take daily? thanks
joeyata1

dose

Postby John_JR on January 30th, 2005, 3:24 pm

I'm taking a simple copper supplement you can find at any local health food store in the vitamin/mineral section, or online. Opinion varies, but it looks like the RDA is around 1.5 - 2.0 mg. I have taken up to 8.0 mg a day for the past three weeks. Word to the wize, NEVER ever take it on an empty stomach.
John R.
John_JR

salt water

Postby eric on January 31st, 2005, 7:51 pm

i am a salt water hobbyist as well! and in low dose copper will kill parasites, because of copper plumbing we dont get to many parasites in the water,
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

copper - still doing good

Postby John_JR on February 21st, 2005, 4:18 pm

Update:
Just wanted to followup on my original post. I'm still doing good on this copper experiment. A lot less twitching lately. Overall health and energy seems to be up too. If this is just a placebo effect, I don't mind it.
John R.
John_JR

Postby joeyata1 on February 21st, 2005, 6:20 pm

i was at walgreen and they never heard of a cooper suplament on its own. they said mutivitiams have cooper in it. could you give me a place to buy this. is it jsut a straight cooper vitamin?
joeyata1

Re: Copper - Interesting Stuff

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on February 20th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Sorry to renew another old thread. Copper deficiency is linked to low white blood cell counts. I'm within range on my blood work, but at the low end. Copper deficiency (according to a few websites I was on) can be linked to neurological disorders and particularly demylination? It can mimic MS? Never heard of that. Anyways, foods high in copper (kale, cashews, shiitake mushrooms). I'm going to incorporate more into my diet and see how I do... before going a supplement route.
UFGatorGuy20

Re: Copper - Interesting Stuff

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management