Big News: Cured of Twitching

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Big News: Cured of Twitching

Postby Ryan on December 13th, 2004, 9:21 pm

After a year of constant twitching and muscle fatigue, I am finally thrilled to say that I am cured of twitching. My story is like so many others. I began with my eyelid twitching and then it spread to everywhere on my body. You name it and I have twitched there. I did the usual and looked up muscle twitch on to google and discovered that I had ALS. I was certain of this. Everytime, I slurred a word or became tired after working out, I became further convinced that I had ALS. My twitching became much worse after I had a cold this September. I sympathize with the awful feeling that an ALS diagnosis is looming.

I began going to doctors and my GP was not even concerned at all. Then I found this great website and did not feel so alone. My doctor tried to put me on Paxil, but I refused to take it. I was also diagnosed with IBS. My wife also thought I was crazy, but those on this site understood what I was going through. I began taking vitamin B12, magnesium, and calcium and nothing worked. No matter what I read, I still feared ALS.

Three days ago, I began to drink alot of Gatorade. Lots of Gatorade (between 64-96 ounces a day) and my twitching has nearly stopped. I discovered in a running magazine that an electrolyte imbalance causes involuntary muscle twitching and muscle aches and pains. I think that I was losing a lot of water from the IBS and unable to rehydrate my body without Gatorade.

If this helps even one person escape the personal hell that is what we all go through then I feel great. Thank you for all your support. This is a really important website. :D
Ryan
Interested
Interested

Postby Stephanie on December 13th, 2004, 9:35 pm

Great post, I'm sure you will help someone w/this.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Bree on December 14th, 2004, 12:03 am

This is interesting. During my first week of twitching back in June, I was wondering if dehydration might be my problem. Over two days I drank four bottles of Pedialyte (sp?) and my twitching stopped completely. I thought I was in the clear, but then it started back up. I assumed it was some bizarre coincidence and never tried it again. My husband suggested Gatorade, but I tried the Pedialyte because I thought it might pack more of a punch. Has anyone else tried this?

Bree
Bree

Postby Ryan on December 14th, 2004, 6:42 am

Bree,

Maybe some of us twitchers have some sort of digestive problem and actually suffer from some chronic form of mild dehydration. I am a lawyer, not a doctor, so this is just my thought from my experience. The roving muscle aches and pains that I was experiencing have also gotten much better. Further, I feel like I have much more energy. I am willing to drink Gatorade and Pedalyte for as long as it takes so long as it stops or greatly reduces my twitching.

Keep me posted if you try pedialyte or gatorade again.

Ryan
Ryan
Interested
Interested

Postby thetwitchkid on December 14th, 2004, 10:52 am

Great !!!
Now what flavor of Gatorade did you drink? I want to replicate your actions exactly :)
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Great News!

Postby juli847 on December 14th, 2004, 11:13 am

Gatorade Here I Come!!! LOL
juli847

stop twitching

Postby juli847 on December 14th, 2004, 1:52 pm

Ryan-- Do you still have to drink gatorade all the time or have you gone a few days without gatorade and they continue to cease?

Julie
juli847

Postby Ryan on December 14th, 2004, 3:23 pm

So far, I drink gatorade everyday and have greatly reduced my twitching to the point it nearly does not exist. I do however, find myself twiching a little after not having Gatorade for a few hours, then I drink it and the twitching goes away again. I drink all flavors, in fact I buy the variety pack at Costco.
Ryan
Interested
Interested

Postby thetwitchkid on December 14th, 2004, 3:58 pm

I can see it now.....the camera fades in on a group of us BFS'ers, muscles twitching away and the ad man says.... Do you twitch? Well not anymore, Drink Gatorade !! LOL :lol:

I hope that this works for all of us !!
Good idea on the electrolyte imbalance.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dwl on December 14th, 2004, 3:59 pm

RU sponsored by Gatorade? :-)
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby thetwitchkid on December 14th, 2004, 4:01 pm

I'd drink swamp water if it can cure the twitches !!!
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ryan on December 14th, 2004, 4:08 pm

I have no stock in Gatorade, but if this cures all of you, then I wish I did. :D
Ryan
Interested
Interested

Vitamin B12 for twitching

Postby orchid_2010 on December 15th, 2004, 2:15 pm

Hello! I am new to the forum, but have had diagnosed BFS for over a year. I have had twitching for nearly two years, but spent the first months in an increasing spiral of anxiety, afraid to go see a doctor about it. My best friend finally made me go, and after several tests, my neurologist assured me that I had BFS (NOT ALS, which I was most afraid of). For months after that, my symptoms continued to get worse, with more and more frequent twitching that got stronger as the months went by. I noticed it particulary at night in bed and in the morning when I woke up -- before I was even fully conscious, I was twitching.

I knew it was nothing to be concerned about, but it still bothered my a LOT. Then I found a website that mentioned a link between B12 and nerve function (on a menopause website, of all places), and it said that low B12 could occasionally be associated with twitching. I never found any other web site that could corroborate that, but it seemed worth a try. I started taking a 500 mcg B12 supplement at night, and within 3 days, I noticed less twitching. So, I increased my dose to two vitamins (1000 mcg) at night, and the twitching nearly disappeared. If I stop taking it, even for a day, the twitching returns --- gradually but but steadily increasing to the level it was at before.

Has anyone else ever heard about this link between B12 and reduced twitching? It has been an amazing relief for me.
orchid_2010

Postby LeeNC on December 15th, 2004, 8:33 pm

Hey, Ryan, wish I could stay and chat...but I've got to get to the GROCERY STORE for some GATORADE! Will try anything...even swamp water.

One reason I think you may be onto something here - a treatment if not the cause or cure. Many of us deal with messy life stresses and find that a glass of wine helps. Alcohol dehydrates you. Many of us find that a cup of coffee helps. I think caffeine also dehydrates you? Many of us have noticed BFS coming on just as we started a program of vigorous exercise. Exercise dehydrates you. Worth a shot (and I don't mean tequila).
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby Ryan on December 16th, 2004, 10:03 am

LeeNC,

Exactly. This all came about when I was thinking about a friend of mine on a recent ski trip. He could not ski after lunch because his legs hurt so bas (he is a healthy 26yr old). He told me that since he started the Atkins diet his muscles would twitch and he would get charlie horses so bad in the morning that he could not walk. He even fell down the stairs one morning. He told me that this had happened since he started the Atkins diet. Come to find out Atkins deprives your muscles of carbohydrates, vitamins, and prevents them from being properly hydrated.

I am not on Atkins but suffer from IBS (I have frequent bowel movements). I noticed that my twitching was much worse after coffee because not only does it stimulate your nervous system it also dehyrdates you. I also noticed that I twitched less when I had some alcohol, but in reality it is more likely that I just noticed my twitching less. However, I also noticed that I twitched more in the morning if I had something to drink at night...probably because of dehydration.

I have a glass of gatorade on my desk as I type this. I drink a ton of the stuff. All I know, is that for the first time in 6 months I have stopped worrying and I finally feel like I can get on with my life. I worried so much, even though my GP looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned ALS (I am 24 with no weakness but roving aches and pains), and then told me I did not have it without even examining my twitching or reflexes and would not send me to a neuro. She did however test me for lyme which came back negative. My GP always tests for the worst possibilities. She told me that twitching is benign and everyone twitches. Also that anxiety will increase twitching. So I guess I was twitching in part because I was anxious and I was anxious because I was twitching...a horrible cycle.

All I know, is that Gatorade has made me nearly twicth free for a week. When I get twitching, it is usually after not having Gatorade for a few hours. I have cut what used to be a great number of twitches all over to a few isolated twitches.

I don't know how long it will last or if it will work for anyone else. I do know that I am enjoying my twitch free time and I pray that this works to help others.
Ryan
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management