Recovery is Real

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Recovery is Real

Postby Numbers624 on May 2nd, 2017, 2:56 pm

Hello all,

It's been years since I've been to this place. It honestly sort of slipped my mind. It came to my mind this afternoon as I was browsing the web, and I always promised myself I would stop by again at some point after a good amount of time passed to offer hope. I had severe fasciculations for a long time. Yes, the exact kind ya'll have had -- able to see them and were in every part of my body. And feel them. The twitching and crawling and buzzing and tingling, and blah blah.

Do I still twitch? Yes, from time to time, if my stress is up. But that's it. It really isn't a big deal. It's just my body reacting to stress. I get that now. Does it calm to non-existence at times? Yes, now it does. Just like when your eyelid would twitch. Or when you have acid indigestion. Or when you feel on edge or hyper after. Stress does crazy things to the body. When you understand how stress works, how your body reacts to thought processes, you will understand why you are where you are. And it was probably building for a long period of time.

AnxietyCentre.com rescued me from my fears. That place taught me how to recover. Most of their counselors have had twitchers or as it's called here "BFS'ers" over the years. BFS is really just a label catastrophized by many of us into some sort of "condition". It's a shame that we create it into this monster of a "condition". What it really is is nothing but your nervous system's reaction to stress hormones. It's a stress symptom. If you're twitching all of the time, your nervous system still needs to settle. And it can take a long time to settle. But that's ok. It's normal.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU. Let me say that again. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU.

I was hysteric. I suffered from fibromyalgia (diagnosed by a doctor) and numbness throughout fingers, toes, and limbs. I dealt with so many transitions and reoccurring symptoms, I can't list them all. I'm free from them now.

How? I learned to control my fears, how to manage my stress, how to react (or not react) to what my body was telling me. I'm still growing with that and I know it will be a life-long process. But I'm happy, healthy, more active physically than I ever was in all of my adult life, challenging my fears, trying to new things, embracing uncertainty, and carrying on.

You've learned to fear your body twitches. Your body is going to react in fear for some time until you learn how to overcome that anxiety and fear. You got to this place because of stress, and you overreacted to symptoms caused by stress, which causes more stress, and more symptoms and more stress, and the cycle continues.

My advice to you: Go get help. Go to AnxeityCentre.com and start your recovery. One of my counselors' there told me BFS should stand for Bull....well, I'll let you fill out the rest. He wasn't being insensitive. He was knocking me back to reality. One of the first steps is to stay away from forums and health sites. They are no crutch. They may help for a short period, but they eventually become your kryptonite. You need healthy information, not terror stories. I know there have been others here that helped me very early on. I honestly can't remember names but I'm thinking maybe a Chrissy or Suzie? They set me straight early on and cleared up a lot of my early fears. Anxiety Centre capitalized and changed my life. I hated the trauma all the symptoms caused, but now I'm thankful for them in a special way. They led me to Anxiety Centre, which helped to change all of my life. In drastic ways.

Stop making excuses. I know you feel miserable and scared. I know you hate your symptoms. I was there. I was in a pit. I was frightened. I would sit and wait for someone to respond on this forum. I would read terror stories and see things like "still twitching after x years" or "it has only gotten worse" etc etc. They just reinforced the fear already registered in my brain. It was all a colossal waste of time. The more you focus on it, think about it, look for it, etc, the more aware you are of them and it adds fuel to the fear fire. I was scared of MS. I saw a gajillion doctors. They all cleared me and told me this is not the way any of these major diseases present themselves. Type in "Anxiety Centre" here (or "center") on this website and you'll see there were others just like me, and you, that got the help they needed.

But you have to want that help.

Suggested Reading: Get Paul David's books, "At Last a Life" and "At Last a Life and Beyond" to supplement your Anxiety Centre membership. Also, "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weekes can also be of great help.

Lastly, but most importantly, Jesus got me through it and is still seeing me through. I am stronger than I ever was, and it's all by the grace of God.

Blessings to you all. Signing off. I wish you the best on the road to recovery. I don't plan to come back here. I'm sure I'll get some "haters" denying my help, claiming some sort of pseudo-disease by research papers published 8 years ago on some obscure Google search they made at 2AM. I don't care. I'm confident in the truth.
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2
Numbers624

Re: Recovery is Real

Postby veryworried123 on May 17th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Not so sure I agree with calling it *beep* but great post otherwise

Thanks
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Re: Recovery is Real

Sponsor

Sponsor