Rhythmic thumb twitch

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Rhythmic thumb twitch

Postby seanrblock on January 10th, 2015, 6:33 am

Hi all-

I have been around here for a long time. I have a new symptom that is really worrying me. My left thumb for the past month is rocking back and fourth. My worry is how rhythmic and constant it is. It has not let up in a month. Its so fine you can only see it when the muscle is at rest. If I feel between my thumb and index finger, I can feel a constant fast twitch. Anyone else ever have a small rhythmic thumb twitch that wasn't the usual bump bump stop of thumping twitches? Please reply if you can, I am very worried.
seanrblock
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Rhythmic thumb twitch

Postby d4twitch on January 10th, 2015, 11:29 pm

I just started noticing a similar twitch in my left hand. It's in the meaty part of the palm below the thumb. Sometimes there are visible twitches there, but often times there seems to be a twitch I can only feel if I place a finger around that area. Pretty sure it's not my pulse as it comes and goes at difference pacing, but it is pretty persistent. I only even noticed it because that part of my palm is at a near constant ache lately, probably overusing it from working on a computer. My left thumb is very shaky lately, but I do have muscle ratcheting in most of my body ever since I've started twitching. Anytime I try to eat fries or any small food with my hands my left hand is very shaky and feels wrong. I do tend to drop things more easily now, mainly food for some reason :P, but honestly, it's probably just anxiety + the muscle ratcheting which tends to be very noticeable in the hands, ankles, neck, and shoulders.

Contrary to what I said, you do have to realize that it is VERY easy to feel your pulse in pretty much any part of your hands (at least I can) and you can easily mistake it for something else, especially the people like us who stress about every little thing in our bodies.
d4twitch

Postby emmie.s on January 12th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Look up "thenar twitch" and you will see how common this is. Mine lasted for about 3 months. No need for you to worry, it is just a hotspot.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby seanrblock on January 27th, 2017, 7:17 am

Just a follow up-

Two years later and it is still moving the same. Seems to be more frequent and the space between the thenar and my index fingers seems to have a "groove". I hope it's always been like that, not sure why this one won't stop. Hopefully it will.
seanrblock
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Strive on March 1st, 2017, 8:09 pm

Hey Sean. Probably just BFS, but if it's been 2 years without settling out probably no harm in getting it checked out for peace of mind. You can get an "ulnar neuropathy" which causes twitching there and is unrelated to BFS. It's like carpal tunnel syndrome but for a different nerve in your hand and is pretty common. Sometimes if it's bad they will do surgery to relieve the pressure on the nerve. Typically accompanied by numbness/tingling in the pinky finger.
Strive
Interested
Interested

Postby seanrblock on March 1st, 2017, 8:16 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I have an appointment 3/14 with my neuro that does all my EMGS. What's weird is it's not a normal fascic. It's like a 180bpm heart rate between thumb and index on palm side that goes for 3 days and stops for a few then has repeated for two+ years. I'm hoping that's all it can be. I've had BFS for 12+ years and this one is ultra scary. My thumb feels weird and never stops moving.
seanrblock
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Strive on March 1st, 2017, 8:20 pm

Well let us know what he says. I empathize, at the least it sounds super annoying!
Strive
Interested
Interested

Postby seanrblock on March 1st, 2017, 8:23 pm

Will do. Thanks!
seanrblock
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor