Help for Muscle Cramps?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Help for Muscle Cramps?

Postby Taylor on July 12th, 2016, 5:29 pm

I have been dealing with this condition since 2005. Currently have a flare of numbness, tingling and burning in my feet and lower legs. By far my worst symptom is muscle stiffness. Saw this treatment for muscle cramping in today's Wall Street Journal that might be worth investigating. I normally would not try something like this but when I looked at the credentials of the two men who developed this drink I think it's worth trying out. One is a Nobel prize winning molecular neurobiologist and the other is a Harvard neurobiologist. They basically developed a drink that neutralizes the nervous systems excessive firing of motor neurons. The exact cause of most of our problems. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-way-t ... 1468256588

Taylor
Taylor
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Help for Muscle Cramps?

Postby muppetdog on July 16th, 2016, 5:22 am

Hey Taylor,

What's your info? How old? What do you think caused it? What have you tired and do you have any pain?

Just curious. Hope all is well

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Taylor on July 18th, 2016, 5:41 pm

MD,
I developed this 11 years ago completely out of the blue. I am 54 now and going through a flare of numbness/tingling in my feet and legs with some pain. I ordered a 6 pack of the Hotshot drink to try when I get a bad flare of stiffness again. I have been corresponding with someone from the company who sent me out additional information. They are actually working on treatments for spasms associated with the terrible neuromuscular diseases. They said the individual who formed the company specializes in ion channelopathys and nerve hyperexcitability. The woman I was corresponding with is forwarding my name and contact information with the medical director of the company.

I have tried a lot of things to help. I take one Zanaflex first thing in the morning and magnesium twice a day. Aleve or Advil when needed. My neurologist gave me gabapentin during my last flare which I have ready if I need it. Moderate exercise and stretching every day helps. Staying hydrated helps. I don't tolerate the heat well at all anymore so I try not do too much in the heat if I can avoid it.

As far as what caused this.........I have no idea. I use to me very active. I use to run 5 to 10 miles a day for years in all types of weather. 5 marathons. I first noticed fascics in my calves after an afternoon of hard yardwork allowing myself to get very dehydrated. The next morning I could barely walk. I had to shuffle walk. When I took a shower that morning it was like my quads and hamstrings couldn't balance me out and I had to hold on to the shower walls to keep from falling. Maybe I just overextended myself physically.....I don't know. I really have given up on the cause and try to treat my symptoms when they flare.
Taylor
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics