EXCESS SALIVA -- SCARED

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EXCESS SALIVA -- SCARED

Postby InvisibleTwitches on March 29th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Hello great community!

Question regarding excess saliva:

Hey guys, so up until last week I was able to go over a YEAR with a handle on both my BFS and anxiety. I recently posted a thread last week, which was the result of my choking, seemingly out of thin air, on nothing. In hindsight and after nice answers from the knowledgeable community, it seems like I may have choked on my own excess spit/saliva.

I think this is probably correct, as I’ve been a little ‘stuffed up’ lately, but not really sick. It has now been a week, and I HAVE NOT CHOKED again. So almost safe to chalk this up to a one-time thing, unrelated to my ultimate fear, AL*, correct? YET, and again, over the past year I’ve had a firm grip on my anxiety and BFS, hench going over a year without running to this great community scared, looking for answers, reasons, and calm. Yet, Here I Am.

My new question is this: over the past week or two I’ve had a vast excess of saliva constantly hanging around. I noticed it yesterday especially, having to swallow all day long this excess of saliva that is accumulating in the back of my throat. This is all very new to me, and due to my past history and fear of AL*, and some of the things I read along the way, I’m trying my BEST NOT TO OVERREACT, yet I am somewhat scared that this could be the start of something bad. Is this normal?
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Re: EXCESS SALIVA -- SCARED

Postby Yuliasir on March 30th, 2016, 12:10 am

It is expected :)

Stress causes both hyper and hyposalivation, depending on the ratio of stress hormones having opposite action on autonomous regulation. Also stress causes increase in your stomach juice acidity, and increased salivation is one of the ways to dissolve it a bit since saliva has neutral to basic pH. Do not worry, your body is trying to settle you down, do not restrict that with extra fears.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby InvisibleTwitches on March 30th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Thank you Yuliasir!!

So you TRULY believe that this is nothing more than STRESS causing these symptoms? That makes sense. I shouldn't always related everything to my fear, or that every thing that happens to be is a sign, that it is the start of AL*. This seems to be unrelated to AL*?

Thanks again!

:D
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on March 30th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Absolutely.

Problem with the ALS fears is that we take EACH separate symptom in our body as scary and related to ALS.

Like: oh i have a lot of saliva. It is ALS!
oh i have dry moth. It is ALS!
oh I have hoarse voice. It is ALS
oh I feel my food is stuck in the throat. It is ALS
oh I have lack of breath. It is ALS
oh I have gurgling in the throat. It is ALS.

etc. etc.

while those symptomes are NONSPECIFIC.

they are definitely caused by anxiety and stress, you could read about that on any realted site and forum. And they could be caused by tons of other conditions, pretty remote form any MND.

What asre specific symptomes of MND (not neccessary ALS)?
oh I can not move my fingers at all.
oh I can not deliberately speak in high or low voice.
oh people think I am drunk all the time because I speak like with the mouth full of porridge.
Oh my voice is flat and toneless or crooky and I could not express emotion with my voice.
oh I speak as I have nasal congestion while ENT says: Mr (or Ms), your soft palate is paralysed! It is something worse than a chronic rinitis!

so, if you know that you are prone to interpret nonspecific symptomes as belonging to ALS, make a list and ask yourself if your symptomes are specific or not. I really suggest that - a kind of cheklist. All what i metioned above are nonspecific symptomes.
twitching, pain, burning, cold or hot pateches,soreness, excercise intolerance, sleep disorders (waking up in terrors, sleep jerks, parasomnias, frequent central sleep apnea issues causing extreme tiredness), perceived weaknes, night numbness are nonspecific.

Reasons for most of them are stress (and realted autonomous reactions - and please note that autonomous system needs relatively little impact to get out of balance and a lot of time to get back to normal), periferic vessels disease (1st to 2ns stage of blood circulation impairment), and hyperentilation/

dear friend, I feel a bit strange about your question about whether I truly believe in my words. I would not spend 4 years here saying the same things to evverybody if I would not believe in that. Moreover, not only I believe in that (of course truly) — I have the power of knowledge instead. I know and in many cases I can expalin (maybe not in finest details but I think enough to be understood) why this happens. Why stress causes GIT symptomes and hoarse voice. How could it be that stress causes both hyper- and hyposalivation. Why hyperventilation causes day yawning and night attacks. What is parasomnias and why they happen. etc. etc.

You know, there is an ancient saying that knowledge is power. Because I know what is going on in my body, I do not care about ALS and care only about the state which brought me to another bout of fears. It is much more efficient approach.
Hope you also may utilise it!
hugs
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby InvisibleTwitches on March 31st, 2016, 11:37 am

YULIASIR!

This is amazing, thank you very much for this. What a great idea. And this, this is exactly how I feel whenever some new 'symptom' or simple body function pops up:

Problem with the ALS fears is that we take EACH separate symptom in our body as scary and related to ALS.

Like: oh i have a lot of saliva. It is ALS!
oh i have dry moth. It is ALS!
oh I have hoarse voice. It is ALS
oh I feel my food is stuck in the throat. It is ALS
oh I have lack of breath. It is ALS
oh I have gurgling in the throat. It is ALS.

etc. etc.

And I think I should definitely give this a try:

make a list and ask yourself if your symptomes are specific or not. I really suggest that - a kind of cheklist

I think that would serve me well and show just how often I have anxiety.

Thanks again Yulia, I am starting to believe that my choking incident last week as just some RANDOM occurrence and NOT RELATED TO MY FEARS!
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on April 2nd, 2016, 2:04 pm

Yuliasir this post rocks and should be a sticky! Kudos to you to communicate this so well!! XO
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS