Anyone interpret this Nerve Conduction Test- Techies

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anyone interpret this Nerve Conduction Test- Techies

Postby Scaredlin on December 27th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Hi there- I just received a copy of my NCV. The EMG was completely normal.

Here are some red flags on the NCV-
1. In both tibial nerves there is a normal distal latency and relatively reduced response amplitudes stimulating at the popliteal fossa with a normal conduction velocity and Fwave latency.
- So what is relatively reduced response amplitudes

2. The parameters of both peroneal nerves are normal except that an F-wave latency is obtained on the left.
-What does F-wave latency mean?

Are these significant for ALS. This study is interesting b/c a tech did the NCV so Im wondering as to competency. I had another one more recently ( a month later) done by a neuro and while I don't have the study in front of me he told me as I left the room that he can't imagine it not being a normal study b/c "all the numbers looked right down the middle." I need to get that study to compare.

Any techies out there?
Scaredlin

Re: Anyone interpret this Nerve Conduction Test- Techies

Postby misterjuanperalta on December 27th, 2015, 5:27 pm

Reduced amplitude refers to axonal injury and is often associated with neuropathies and compression injuries. F-wave latencies are considered less important, and F-waves are the only parameter in nerve conduction studies particularly useful for the diagnosis of proximal nerve lesions.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Scaredlin on December 27th, 2015, 9:09 pm

I noticed the F latency wasn't too far off from the minimum so not worried about that, but worried about the reduced amplitude b.c of course I had to research it and saw it in conjunction with ALS. I should have never looked. Now I am worried its developing and that I will have a bad EMG in the future. I am going to see what the more recent NCV/EMG shows when I get it back.
Scaredlin

Postby misterjuanperalta on December 27th, 2015, 9:22 pm

The Human body has a set biology and composition. Just like a finger can feel a poke when getting pinched by a needle, it can also feel the same (without a needle) when it's affected by neuropathy. The point is there are many things that can cause injury. Further, it is irrational to think that MND has exclusive access to a specific area other diseases do not have access to. Not to mention, in MND nerve conduction studies are normal (with 99% occurrence).
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group