Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, Neuropathy & DGP Ab

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, Neuropathy & DGP Ab

Postby misterjuanperalta on November 28th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Earlier research on celiac disease (CD) and neuropathy has been hampered by the use of inpatient data, low study power, and lack of neuropathic characteristics. It was decided to examine the relative risk and absolute risk of developing neuropathy in a nationwide population-based sample of patients with biopsy-verified CD. Researchers compared the risk of neuropathy in 28 232 patients with CD (villous atrophy, Marsh 3) with that of 139 473 age- and sex-matched controls. The results were that Celiac disease was associated with a 2.5-fold increased risk of later neuropathy (95%). There was also an increased risk of chronic inflammatory demyelinating neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, and mononeuritis multiplex, but no association between CD and acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. In conclusion, it was found that there was an increased risk of neuropathy in patients with CD. This statistically significant association in a population-based sample suggests that CD screening should be completed in patients with neuropathy.

Source: jamanetwork.com

As it has been shown in other studies, there is a BFS association here. In those tested, Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) antibodies IgA was present in 83% of ataxia/neuropathy patients who also had celiac disease (or gluten sensitivity) versus 22% of those without celiac disease (or gluten sensitivity) (P <0.001). It appears that neuropathic symptoms in celiac patients may have a better chance of recovery (if any) on a gluten free diet than ataxic symptoms. Patients with celiac disease should be encouraged to adhere to a gluten free diet; however, there are inconsistent reports regarding the effectiveness of this treatment for improvement of neurologic symptoms. If despite this uncertainty clinicians wish to identify celiac disease in patients with ataxia or neuropathy, Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) antibody has superior specificity for the detection of enteropathy.

Source: nih.gov
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, Neuropathy & DGP Ab

Postby BFSBurger on December 9th, 2015, 2:26 am

Correct.

Despite doctors telling me I was "just stressing too much" and saying I needed to see a psychotherapist for my hypochondria, I was more intelligent than all of them and ran a Celiac panel on myself. Especially making sure to include Deamidated Gliadin Ab.

I finally tested positive for something. And now I know what caused my full-blown BFS.

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, Neuropathy & DGP Ab

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics