EMG tomorrow, can't sleep

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EMG tomorrow, can't sleep

Postby sanje77 on November 3rd, 2015, 7:28 pm

Hello all,

I'm lying awake worriying about my EMG at 9am. It's my 4th one and the last two haven't been 'clean' (chronic denervation in all tested muscles, no spontaneous activity), so I'm very nervous. I have been twitching for over a year now, plus experiencing some other symptoms (sore ankle, thumb joint pain, burning tongue etc). I have been wondering what's going on for so long with no answers. I just want a magic cure. Dreading that there might be none. Eek. Horrible anxiety :-(
Anyway, not sure why I'm posting this. I just can't sleep and my feet, legs and back won't bloody stop twitching.
Any words of encouragement and crossed fingers are very welcome ;-)
Thanks for reading, sanje x
sanje77

Re: EMG tomorrow, can't sleep

Postby Yuliasir on November 4th, 2015, 12:27 am

I must say chronic denervation is quite expected in long axon innervated muscles (in legs, shoulders etc.) as neural tissue grows extermely slow and chances to damage axons are quite high with the age... No spontaneous activity is a good sign. Still I had spontaneous waves in my thumb muscle 4 years ago, and my thumb is still here with me :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby sanje77 on November 4th, 2015, 10:08 am

Thanks Yuliasir! I had my appointment, but she moved the actual EMG to February for a number of reasons. I asked her about the chronic denervation in my last EMG's and she actually told me something very interesting. She said that very recent studies have confirmed that high motor units are often seen in people with fasciulation cramp syndrome, where there is an axonal polyneuropathy present (bad translation I think, I'm german). Which is what they are suspecting with me. Clinical exam was good, so even without EMG, I feel more relaxed and reassured. Let's hope I can keep it up till Feb.
sanje77

Postby sanje77 on November 4th, 2015, 10:10 am

Yulinasir, actually it's funny, in my very firstEMG I also had spontaneous activity in my thumb! But that resolved, it hasn't reappeared in any of the follow-up EMG's
sanje77

Postby Yuliasir on November 4th, 2015, 11:07 am

Normal clinical is always so reassuring! So Ihope you could safely wait unitl February
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group