Sit-Ups? Shaking like a wet dog

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Sit-Ups? Shaking like a wet dog

Postby Beast216 on October 8th, 2015, 12:28 pm

So I have seen a neurologist about this and Iwas told they are benign fasciculations.

Basically when I do certain movements, my body quivers like mad. The most pronounced is my stomach and shoulders. If I sit up, when I reach a certain point, my abdominal shake violenty (easy to see). Same happens if I shrug my shoulders. Most annoying is going down stairs where my muscles above the knee quiver.

I don't tend to have any twitching when I am at rest. I do have violent jerks when falling asleep.

Sound familiar to anyone. Seems like a lot of posts refer to twitching in hands, eyes, etc so wondering if anyone else gets these tremors when moving?
Beast216

Re: Sit-Ups? Shaking like a wet dog

Postby pinprick on October 12th, 2015, 7:24 am

Twitching and jerking is different things.

Twitching is a brief movement of part of a muscle. You can have many "twitches" (the exact term is fasciculations) in the same muscle. Occasionally a whole muscle can "twitch" but there is NO movement of the involved limb for example (i had that).
Jerking is an involuntary movement of a limb for example. This can happens when falling asleep (very common in that case). Jerking involve a movement initiated in the brain.
If you have no twitches (as defined previously), it is not BFS. Many peoples here (if not all peoples) do have more twitches at rest (looking tv, going to bed, ... etc) particularly in legs below the knee (here it is where nerves are the longest).

I would seek help with a new neurologist.
Note that some shaking or better to say, trembling, is also present with BFS particularly with limbs. I tremble on left side arm and leg upon small contraction of involved muscle BUT i don't tremble upon strong contraction of that muscle.

I would cut on caffeine to see.

I don't know how old are you but it could be essential tremor (happens when getting old) that is benign but lot annoying. In that case, if you want catch a glass of water for example, your hand will turn around the glass before catching finally it. You can tremble of the head in that case too (small rotational trembling).

Good luck
Idiopathic SFN (head to toes) ... auto-immune related
pinprick
Hero
Hero

Re: Sit-Ups? Shaking like a wet dog

Postby veryworried123 on October 12th, 2015, 10:41 pm

If you search the site you will see lots of discussion and videos on this

I have that in legs on both sides when I flex. Scary for sure

Thanks
veryworried123
Hero