EMG - Results

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EMG - Results

Postby Pascal35 on October 2nd, 2015, 7:54 am

Hello everyone,

I continue from my last post to inform you that i had a clean Arms (especially right) EMG.
I feel better but haven't yet relieved 100% because i still have the same symptoms in my right hand.
Anyway. I think its about time to start trusting the doctors otherwise there is no point in visiting them
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: EMG - Results

Postby garym on October 2nd, 2015, 8:48 am

Pascal35 wrote: I think its about time to start trusting the doctors otherwise there is no point in visiting them

absolute truth.....follow this logic and get back to your life.

take care,
gary
garym

Postby veryworried123 on October 3rd, 2015, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the update

We all knew everything was ok

Thanks
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby guitarguy11 on October 28th, 2015, 2:40 pm

So, after almost 17 months of twitching, I have now had my second EMG (the first one was early on in after about 6 weeks of twitching). This time they did my most active leg - my right leg. The doctor heard a few twitches in the EMG, but he said they were totally benign. Everything about how my muscles were acting when tensed and then relaxed were normal. For the most part my muscles were very quiet when relaxed. I have been doing a bit better in the last week - my anxiety is down a bit and I think I am starting to "deal" better with this (I hope entering into a "remission" phase like I did last winter. He and the nurse both confirmed that worrying, stress and anxiety make twitches so much worse. He finished the exam with, "Well, I am sorry to say that you are going to be around for a long time. See you in 6 months for a routine follow-up."

So for those who worry, do everything you can not to. It makes everything so much worse. I can testify to that.
guitarguy11

Postby Xina535 on October 29th, 2015, 7:43 am

Pascal35 wrote:Hello everyone,

I continue from my last post to inform you that i had a clean Arms (especially right) EMG.
I feel better but haven't yet relieved 100% because i still have the same symptoms in my right hand.
Anyway. I think its about time to start trusting the doctors otherwise there is no point in visiting them

I am happy about your clean EMG, but may I please ask what symptoms you are having in your right hand? I am going crazy with my right hand myself.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on November 5th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Hi Xina,

- Right thumb extension action tremor and weaker in extension than the left
- Slight atrophy in finger extensor muscles and 3rd 4th fingers extension is weaker than the left

I also have sensory symptoms in the same areas.
Since my initial EMGs i always had some polyphasic and high amplitude MUPs in those muscles and that was basically because of an old fracture in my right humerus which probably damaged a bit the radial nerve.
I had an operation in 2006 and they placed a metal plate which is actually still there.
I always had the sensory issues but to be honest i never really felt any weakness previously (maybe now that i am focusing i see things differently...)

Good news is that i do remember that 2 years ago, when all this twitching and ALS fear started, i was having this right thumb tremor and at that time the doctor, probably wrongly, diagnosed essential tremor. Since then there is no difference with this tremor (not better not worse) so i guess thats a positive sign. In addition it is also maybe telling us that this is not essential tremor but it is a weakness because of the radial nerve...

The other positive sign is that this last EMG was exactly the same like the one i had in November 2014 and the same doctor performed it. She is very detailed. So detailed that i am always in deep stress while she puts the needles...

Anyway. Honestly i want to be convinced but since the symptoms persist i am always a bit conscious.
What about you?
What are your symptoms?
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group