Can you facilitate a Twitch by body positioning?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Can you facilitate a Twitch by body positioning?

Postby RIno468 on September 24th, 2015, 11:46 am

I have found if I rest my arms a certain way on my desk - my bicep will twitch.

If I cross my legs a certain way - my calves twitch nuts.

I wonder if some of our twitches are all caused by some sort of pinched nerve and aggravating by being in a body position we think is harmless.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Can you facilitate a Twitch by body positioning?

Postby HonkeyKong on October 15th, 2015, 3:56 pm

I experience the same thing. If i put my elbows on my desk, my bicep/tricep or hand muscles will twitch. If it cross my legs, my feet or thighs will twitch. If i hold my cellphone for awhile, my thenar will twitch. It's pretty un-nerving and stresses me out, but I'm at the 15 month point as of yesterday and no clinical weakness (4 clean EMGS - last one in May of 15'). I feel weaker, but at this point I would be having more serious issues, right?
HonkeyKong

Postby guitarguy11 on October 15th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Hey HonkeyKong -

As we have PM'd back and forth, you and I share similar symptoms. We also started at about the same time. My biceps tend to twitch when they are flexed, but not every time. My calves and feet twitch or buzz when they are crossed - pretty much every time. I have also noticed that if I tilt my head certain ways, my ear drums tend to twitch. I think at 15 months we would be having more problems, but I am interested in other people's thoughts.
guitarguy11

Postby RIno468 on October 15th, 2015, 5:20 pm

uggh I cant believe im still here..

LOL

I have noticed with increasing regularity --

that I sleep all sorts of stupid -- example -- I curl my wrists inward when I sleep -- I sleep on my wrists -- ill make a fist 90% of the time -- or if im not sleeping on my wrists ill sleep with my elbows in a 90 degree angle while flat on my back.

When this happens -- my biceps and triceps and thenar go nuts the next day and last for a few days.

ive started to sleep with an elbow brace and wrist guards (like for carpal tunnel) and all of the associated twitches for the most part go away. What I have found recently that I THINK is helping is "nerve gliding" or "nerve flossing"

they are some stretches which allegedly stretch out your nerves.

My neck and arms and legs have twitched ALOT less than before since ive started this.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby guitarguy11 on October 19th, 2015, 12:47 pm

I just had an almost 17 month from start of twitching follow-up with my first neurologist. He spent some time with me, saw the twitches, tested strength, reflexes, walk up and down the hall on toes and heels, etc. Here is what he told me: "You are as strong as can be. You need to get Lou Gehrig's out of your head. By now, you would have weakness that we could see. You have benign cramp fasiculation syndrome. You need to relax." When I asked about the location of the twitches, even in my right toes, he said, "The twitches can be anywhere - but they do tend to be worse in muscles that you use the most. That is why the calves, shoulders, arms, hands and tongue tend to be most affected on people." He seemed surprised that I had never had one on my tongue. I think that is the only place I have never had one. Hope this might make some others feel better.
guitarguy11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS