Bulbar fears.. Thoughts?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Bulbar fears.. Thoughts?

Postby Tb12 on August 31st, 2015, 2:38 am

Hi guys,
I was trying to resist writing but my stress has got the better of me and this forum always gives great advice.

I am a 30 year old male that has all of the symptoms we most discuss on this forum, ongoing for just over 3 years now without any disappearance or even a BFS diagnosis.

My last neurologist exam was clean as well as EMG which both were about a year and a half ago

I had one emg with chronic denervation findings that was later dismissed by other neuros whom did there own emg testing.

My concerns about bulbar ATM are at a all time high! I have never had a tongue emg and my symptoms in that area are the most prominent right now and they are as follows:

Phlem and mucus that will not move or go down for the past year
Heartburn throughout the day
Funny taste in mouth in the morning
Constant trying to clear throat
When I drink liquid it sits in my throat and then I burp it up into my mouth
I burp after every sip no matter what liquid
Little particles of food feel stuck in my throat and I need a second or third swallow to get it down
My swallow doesn't feel strong because of the food needing a few swallows
Gurgling and popping sound in throat
Clicking in throat when I swallow
Excess saliva in mouth ( not do frequent but has happened and when it does it's bad)
Tickle in throat when I raise my voice

I have had a few chocking episodes where liquid didn't go down the right way but not as prominent as the constant symptoms above

One new symptom that scares me Is after drinking liquid I get a tickle and irritation in the nose and a little wet feeling, not sure if it's liquid going into the nose? I have never had it leak out of my nose or run out of my nose? Would I definitely know if this is happening?

After drinking milk I blow my nose and whit mucus appears.

I'm really worried about these symptoms, I will note I have a few speech stumbles now and then and my tongue feels like it's heavy or slow sometimes but again this is way less than the above constant symptoms..

My tongue can tent both cheeks

It's more my throat and swallowing issues scaring me? Any advice.. Of course I'm so worried about ***
Tb12

Re: Bulbar fears.. Thoughts?

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 31st, 2015, 5:26 am

A lot of that has happened to me. No ALS based on Mayo Clinic evaluation on May 26, 2015. I think BFS mimics ALS without any weakness ever showing its ugly head. I think our nervous system and anxiety exaggerates responses to any stimuli, explaining what you are experiencing. Try not to worry.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Tb12 on August 31st, 2015, 6:08 am

What did the mayo clinic say it was? Or what aw the reasoning of them thinking it's not ALS? And how long have you bulbar symptoms been going on?
Tb12

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 31st, 2015, 9:54 am

misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Tb12 on August 31st, 2015, 10:55 am

That's one of the most thorough exams I ever seen, I'm happy you got the all clear, drs here in australia won't go to that length of testing to put patient at ease.

So did they give you a reasoning for all the bulbar symptoms if it's not any nasties, as to what it may be?
Tb12

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 31st, 2015, 12:50 pm

Pretty much they ignored Bulbar symptoms. The said, no point in checking every single muscle.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Scboy on August 31st, 2015, 8:11 pm

If you have been having symptoms for three years, forget ALS. People with ALS don't go years wondering if they have it as my neuro explained to me.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics