Swallowing concerns.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Swallowing concerns.

Postby Arkansan on April 28th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Here lately when I swallow something it feels like it takes forever to go down . Liquids feel like they have some leftover at the back of my throat after I swallow and I feel like I have a lump or knot in my throat. I'm really scared this is muscle weakness, I also feel like I have gunk in my throat.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Swallowing concerns.

Postby misterjuanperalta on April 28th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I recommend ENT, barium swallow. And GERD checkup with Gastroenterologist.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on April 28th, 2015, 2:50 pm

I also forgot to mention that the past four or five days I have felt like my chest is tight and I'm having trouble breathing. But just a couple of days before that started I was able to get up and workout 45 mins in the morning doing shadow boxing, jogging and other cardio intensive activities with no trouble.

It bugs me because I feel like I have air being trapped every time I swallow and I burp a lot, then with liquids it feels like there is a bit left in the back of my throat when I do swallow.

I am terrified his may be bulbar or something. However I do have a lot of sinus pain going right now, as well as colon and stomach issues. The sinus pain is even in my ears at this point, but I didn't think it related to anything because I don't feel like I have drainage going.

Has anyone else had this?
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ghayes420 on April 28th, 2015, 3:24 pm

I think its pretty clear you have a systemic illness going on right now, most likely a sinus infection. I am recovering from a very bad flu and head cold. I spent the past few days unable to complete a sentence because my voice would go hoarse and just cut out. This was from drainage.

I think what you describe is nothing like a bulbar presentation and your time frame seems beyond that of a bulbar worry. The usual first sign in any bulbar presentation before the swallowing problems is slurring in about 80-90% of bulbar cases. I think you have an infection you are battling.

Hang in there and keep us updated.
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby Arkansan on April 28th, 2015, 4:31 pm

The issues swallowing I have noticed for what seems like weeks and weeks, I know it has for at least a few weeks. Does that still sound like some infection of some sort? At the moment I constantly feel like I have some sort of lump in my throat. I have had BFS like issues for nearly three years or just over three years now, I forget the exact timing.

Thank you for responding though, it is reassuring.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby nickston on April 28th, 2015, 4:48 pm

sounds like sinus infection + reflux
nickston
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ghayes420 on April 28th, 2015, 7:25 pm

I would keep an eye on it Arkansan. If things get worse, then I would definitely get the opinion of an ENT. If they improve, then it obviously was a sinus infection/allergy season. Remember as we get older, people can become more susceptible to seasonal allergies. Maybe you are experiencing a seasonal allergy reaction and the associated drainage. You will know in a month or two if what you have is worth worrying about. I still don't think it sounds like anything neurological in origin at this point. Hang in there and keep us updated.
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby Tb12 on August 27th, 2015, 10:07 am

Hey A,
I have the exact same symptoms surrounding your throat issues, did you get any answers at all?
Tb12

Postby Yuliasir on August 27th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Tb12, as per description given by Arkansan, it is quite typical for reflux and/or general autonomic issues we have (spasms of esophagus, etc.) So if you have the same, most probably it is either reflux induced or purely autonomic esophagal spasms. It is a result of prolonged stress.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics