Thought of the Day

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thought of the Day

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 24th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Thought of the Day: "Prosperity for everyone is idealistic for the "masters" in society and unrealistic in practice. Who will clean the toilets at your offices? Who will flip your burgers? I'm sure those workers are not considered successful or prosperous. Who will work for you for minimum wage, if everyone were prosperous? You'd have to be prepared to write larger checks or accept the consequences." - me
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Thought of the Day

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 24th, 2015, 9:43 pm

This is just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth... I believe that prosperity starts with a choice. Too many people operate in a state of pessimism and lie to themselves calling it being realistic. This thought of the day from a certain perspective makes a lot of sense. It mirrors a lot of what we see in our society today. But does it always have to be this way? Burger flipping and toilet cleaning might be great jobs for teenagers and part time college kids to make extra money while they work towards their real dreams. When I was in high school I made minimum wage packaging sandpaper in a sandpaper factory. Now I am an engineer with a career. Just because I once did that did not mean I was doomed to a life of no prosperity. Life is a journey and each job can either be a stepping stone or a burden, depending on how you look at it. Perspective and attitude are everything. It will make or break you.

I learned a valuable life lesson in 2007~2008. I had a choice between two jobs. One job was more money but it required me to work at an automotive assembly plant as a systems engineer. The other job would have moved me out to Colorado and I would have been a program manager for Jeep Wrangler aftermarket accessories for an automotive supplier (design and development work, which I enjoy much more), but it was less money. I took the job with more money falsely believing that I needed more money to be happy. I was wrong. Up to a certain point, money ceases to be a motivating factor and source of happiness. Basically we need our needs met and an ability to do things we enjoy. Beyond that a bigger house, nicer car, and bigger bank account do nothing for your fulfillment in life. I know because I lived it. I hated that job and it is partly what helped kick off my downward spiral that led to me developing BFS. I am not saying this was all it, but it was definitely a factor. I can't help but wonder how my life would have turned out differently had I took the job in Colorado doing something I would have really enjoyed.

Again, we need money to do things in life. It is how we buy food, water, clothes, pay for housing, utilities, and it allows us to do the things we enjoy. Without it you really cannot live a life. But once you have enough to sustain yourself we really do get caught up in our own egos and this false illusion that is reinforced by celebrities, pop culture, TV, movies, and media. We equate lots of money with lots of happiness but it just isn't so. When it comes down to it happiness is always a choice. Some people have next to nothing and are truly genuinely happy. Some people are billionaires and they are miserable people with a seeming black hole in their center always wanting more, more, more. No matter how much it is never enough. That is because they are looking in the wrong place for their fulfillment. If you can learn that lesson, let it truly sink in, and live your life in a new way because of it, then you will realize just how close happiness was to you all this time and you never allowed yourself to have it. The conditions we place on our happiness are always up to us. I would be happy if... (insert condition here).

In the end we can't take any of our stuff with us, no matter how much power and wealth we amass. I have a close friend who had a near death experience. He came back a changed man. Before the incident he was all about career, money, status. After all of those things dropped off his list to the bottom. He cared about friends, family, relationships, and helping people. Even a smile to a stranger can change their whole day for the better. We can get caught up on what we perceive to be the injustices of life, but realize while doing it that you are just keeping yourself from doing something productive or working on your own happiness. Everything we occupy ourselves with is a choice. Every choice determines the person we are going to be. It can always be turned around though.

When I look in the mirror, I realize I really only have power over one person and their happiness and that is me. When I ask myself if I am prosperous, money is not at the heart of the question. I guess you could say the heart of the question is my heart. Yes, I live comfortably now, but I haven't always. I was happy then when I had very little. I guess you could say I was the least happiest when I was caught up in the game of haves and have nots. I got caught up in wanting a nicer car, a bigger house, and status. I was always looking at what others had and what I did not. No wonder I was so unhappy. There will always be someone with more. I don't focus on that now though. I don't ignore it, but I don't make it a priority. I focus on people and relationships. All of that other stuff just comes with it and it is a much happier experience.

Prosperity for everyone is closer than we realize. Here is the trick. It isn't something that can be given to you. It is something that you have to realize for yourself and claim, simply by becoming it. Those are my thoughts on the matter. Again, it is just my take.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 25th, 2015, 1:46 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:This is just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth... I believe that prosperity starts with a choice. Too many people operate in a state of pessimism and lie to themselves calling it being realistic. This thought of the day from a certain perspective makes a lot of sense. It mirrors a lot of what we see in our society today. But does it always have to be this way? Burger flipping and toilet cleaning might be great jobs for teenagers and part time college kids to make extra money while they work towards their real dreams. When I was in high school I made minimum wage packaging sandpaper in a sandpaper factory. Now I am an engineer with a career. Just because I once did that did not mean I was doomed to a life of no prosperity. Life is a journey and each job can either be a stepping stone or a burden, depending on how you look at it. Perspective and attitude are everything. It will make or break you.

I learned a valuable life lesson in 2007~2008. I had a choice between two jobs. One job was more money but it required me to work at an automotive assembly plant as a systems engineer. The other job would have moved me out to Colorado and I would have been a program manager for Jeep Wrangler aftermarket accessories for an automotive supplier (design and development work, which I enjoy much more), but it was less money. I took the job with more money falsely believing that I needed more money to be happy. I was wrong. Up to a certain point, money ceases to be a motivating factor and source of happiness. Basically we need our needs met and an ability to do things we enjoy. Beyond that a bigger house, nicer car, and bigger bank account do nothing for your fulfillment in life. I know because I lived it. I hated that job and it is partly what helped kick off my downward spiral that led to me developing BFS. I am not saying this was all it, but it was definitely a factor. I can't help but wonder how my life would have turned out differently had I took the job in Colorado doing something I would have really enjoyed.

Again, we need money to do things in life. It is how we buy food, water, clothes, pay for housing, utilities, and it allows us to do the things we enjoy. Without it you really cannot live a life. But once you have enough to sustain yourself we really do get caught up in our own egos and this false illusion that is reinforced by celebrities, pop culture, TV, movies, and media. We equate lots of money with lots of happiness but it just isn't so. When it comes down to it happiness is always a choice. Some people have next to nothing and are truly genuinely happy. Some people are billionaires and they are miserable people with a seeming black hole in their center always wanting more, more, more. No matter how much it is never enough. That is because they are looking in the wrong place for their fulfillment. If you can learn that lesson, let it truly sink in, and live your life in a new way because of it, then you will realize just how close happiness was to you all this time and you never allowed yourself to have it. The conditions we place on our happiness are always up to us. I would be happy if... (insert condition here).

In the end we can't take any of our stuff with us, no matter how much power and wealth we amass. I have a close friend who had a near death experience. He came back a changed man. Before the incident he was all about career, money, status. After all of those things dropped off his list to the bottom. He cared about friends, family, relationships, and helping people. Even a smile to a stranger can change their whole day for the better. We can get caught up on what we perceive to be the injustices of life, but realize while doing it that you are just keeping yourself from doing something productive or working on your own happiness. Everything we occupy ourselves with is a choice. Every choice determines the person we are going to be. It can always be turned around though.

When I look in the mirror, I realize I really only have power over one person and their happiness and that is me. When I ask myself if I am prosperous, money is not at the heart of the question. I guess you could say the heart of the question is my heart. Yes, I live comfortably now, but I haven't always. I was happy then when I had very little. I guess you could say I was the least happiest when I was caught up in the game of haves and have nots. I got caught up in wanting a nicer car, a bigger house, and status. I was always looking at what others had and what I did not. No wonder I was so unhappy. There will always be someone with more. I don't focus on that now though. I don't ignore it, but I don't make it a priority. I focus on people and relationships. All of that other stuff just comes with it and it is a much happier experience.

Prosperity for everyone is closer than we realize. Here is the trick. It isn't something that can be given to you. It is something that you have to realize for yourself and claim, simply by becoming it. Those are my thoughts on the matter. Again, it is just my take.

I agree, brother.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)