It's Deja Vu all over again

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

It's Deja Vu all over again

Postby PHIL on August 23rd, 2015, 10:11 am

Well, it's been several years since I last visited this site during which I've been twitch free. Unfortunately, that changed about a month ago when the twitches came back with a vengeance accompanied by additional symptoms which give me great concern. So I'm hopeful some of you can provide some encouragement or insight into what I'm experiencing.

About a month ago, my left leg developed a sensation somewhere between a dull ache and tickle that ran from my groin to my feet plus a feeling like an electrical charge was running through the entire leg causing my muscles to feel jittery. Added to this was an "effervescent" sensation in my skin. This was accompanied by muscle fatigue in the leg whenever walking or climbing stairs. A few days after, the twitches began, starting in my left quad and calf and eventually migrating to my toes and glute.

Over the next few weeks, the twitches spread, in succession, to my right calf, back, shoulders and arms. My glutes continually feel like I've just finished 100 squats and my left calf/ankle feels tight. In the last week or so, I've developed mild cramps in my calves that come and go along with stiffness/soreness in the trap and lat muscles of my back. This morning, I went out to walk the dog and realized that both legs felt rather weak and "jelly like" so I decided to reach out.

I should also point out that I saw a neuro on Wednesday. All reflexes were normal with no clinical weakness. I also had a blood screen for lyme, vitamin D and B12 and a few other markers for which I'm awaiting the results. She said if symptoms don't improve and test results are normal, she may recommend a spinal MRI. In relaying her plan, she made a few statements which gave me concern, saying that my "symptoms were progressing" and " you can still do everything for now" which I interpreted as red flags.

Thanks everyone!
"Lately it occurs to me
What a long,strange trip it's been"
PHIL
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: It's Deja Vu all over again

Postby Yuliasir on August 23rd, 2015, 10:51 am

well, your symptoms of highly possible nerve compression (pain or unpleasant feeling coming from groin to foot, sensory symptoms (effervescent feeling, feeling of electrical zaps) are progressing of course becaue you may have highly possible mechanical damage process developing in its natural course. Doctor just admitted you have a process developing in your body but did not admitted it is necessarily MND. Finally, in the case of flu symptomes are also progressing...

When the doctor says "You could do everything for now", this does not mean "But I expect you will lost that soon" - NOPE, it means "For now I do not see any neurological deficite in your body, so supposedly this is not an MND". Where to put the accent - on "you could do everything" or on 'for now" - depends on your brain, and you could celarly see it works in a fear way (many fellows here try to treat twitches but not the root condition, whihc is an obsessive fear for many of us).

All the rest of your symptomes so far is the same as in any initial course of BFS flareup so probaby it is still our old BFS caused by initial nerve compression (or probably some blood circulation issue, becasue in this case also dull pain is possible, and ishemic mucles also twitch, feel sore, easily fatigued and weak, plus sensory issues are also possible). If neurological check would result in nothing special, I would recommend to look for flebologist and check vein status on this leg.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby PHIL on August 23rd, 2015, 12:08 pm

Thank you, Yuliasir, I had actually thought of ischemia or sciatica when the symptoms first appeared in my left leg. The neuro, however, poo pooed sciatica, saying my symptoms were not consistent with it. Unfortunately, I neglected to discuss ischemia with her but will do so. However, I'm not sure how that would coincide with the stiffness and soreness in my back. I do, however, agree that I'm probably focusing on the negative in interpreting the neuro's comments which, I realize, does me no good.
"Lately it occurs to me
What a long,strange trip it's been"
PHIL
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on August 23rd, 2015, 12:11 pm

well, you may have compression not necessarily on lumbar region, that is why doctor probably denies sciatica (and sciatica has more pain in the back usually). Anyway goos sign is you have normal reflexes and no clinical weakness - usually neurodegenerative processes show themselves quite early in the slight clinical changes too.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby pinprick on October 10th, 2015, 2:25 pm

About a month ago, my left leg developed a sensation somewhere between a dull ache and tickle ... feeling like an electrical charge was running through the entire leg causing my muscles to feel jittery. ... "effervescent" sensation in my skin. ... fatigue in the leg whenever walking or climbing stairs. A few days after, the twitches began, ....

Over the next few weeks, the twitches spread, ... My glutes continually feel like I've just finished 100 squats and my left calf/ankle feels tight.

Seems to be a new "flare up" ....... i.e. my story 7 years before.
... electrical charge was running ... "effervescent" sensation in my skin ... next few weeks, the twitches spread, ... etc. All point to SFN + long nerve to muscles flare up

Sensory symptoms are SFN ... C fibers and/or A delta fibers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_delta_fiber.
A delta sensations is more bee stings, sudden pain. electrical ... i.e. sensations that come/go suddenly (this is because A delta fiber are myelinated)
C fiber is more tingling, feeling clothes rough instead of smooth, burning ...etc (because they are unmyelinated and grouped in Remak bundle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_C_nerve_fiberso that one bad fiber can influence the other ones).

Anyway
Got 4 flare up since twitching started first time with added unpleasant sensory problems each time. Last time was like you described. Twitching that was more on legs spread all over.
All nerves have problems. Driving nerves that goes to muscle (type: myelinated so ... twitching) and C and A delta fibers.
Diagnosed by neuro.
Skin biopsy can be negative even with SFN (depend on the spot where the biopsy is done). Sweet gland test can diagnose it.

No solution. It's permanent.

Cut totally on caffeine (coffee,tea, chocolate) because it increases troubles (my finding ... no more tingling for example)
Use lyrica to cut on skin sensations ...
Still with some unpleasant problems.

Because of flare up it seems that an undiagnosed problem inside the body is acting ... we cannot win many time the big lot at the lotteries!!!

Good luck
Idiopathic SFN (head to toes) ... auto-immune related
pinprick
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group