Non-celiac gluten sensitivity doesn't exist?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity doesn't exist?

Postby Xina535 on August 20th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Non-celiac gluten sensitivity doesn't exist?

Postby leroyb on August 20th, 2015, 4:05 pm

That paper will not be the most popular. The 'gluten free' industry is huge.
leroyb
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on August 20th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Yea, I got that.....but why am I on a gluten free diet again? We all talked about it and I got tips like "make sure you do it long enough, not just a few days". And more...

:?:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 20th, 2015, 8:16 pm

You can find scientific studies and papers that contradict each other on a great variety of controversial topics. Try and find a group of scientists from different organizations to agree on climate change and what causes it. I know for a fact that if I eat gluten by accident I feel like crap the next day. It isn't psychological. I don't need a scientific paper to tell me that I am sensitive to gluten because I know enough from experience that I am. Everything we do, every choice we make, has consequences whether intended or unintended. If you want to believe gluten sensitivity doesn't exist feel free to do so and eat gluten. You may or may not be having issues with it, but it is your life and you can do what you want. If you want to really give a gluten free diet a good run so that you can see if it makes a difference for you, go for it. Again, it is all up to you.

Knowing what sources to trust and what sources not to trust is overwhelming and frustrating. Like I said, if you research a topic long enough you will find people contradicting each other left and right, some with very impressive credentials behind their names. In the end we are all human beings and we all have our own unique belief systems and experiences we draw from. Everybody believes what they do for a reason. What maters most is that you find out what works for you and stick to it. Just my 2 cents, but when I was going through hell with BFS I wanted to try anything that was safe to do so if it meant I might get my life back. Diet modification worked for me. Acupuncture worked for me. Hypnosis worked for me. Meditation worked for me. Holistic medicine worked for me. If something worked, I stuck with it. Each of these may not work for you. We are all different. If you don't try something and try it well, you will never know though.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby guitarguy11 on August 21st, 2015, 7:41 am

To Secret Agent Man and other long term posters, bfsrecovery really wants all of us to join over there, especially the long term sufferers, to help with the knowledge base and to help with new posters that can't join here, but can join easily on that forum. And I totally agree with everything you said in your post.
guitarguy11

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 21st, 2015, 7:18 pm

Thanks, I just registered.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 27th, 2015, 4:10 am

I have registered over there and I will be posting new items over there. For some of my current posts, I will "finish" them on this site, if that is ok.

SecretAgentMan - I did not realize there were different opinions from different scientists about gluten sensitivity. It makes sense what you said, about trusting your own body. When I was on "the diet" for 8 days, I did not see or feel any differences, but, I have this ongoing diarrhea problem that I want to sort out first.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on September 1st, 2015, 12:09 pm

This is funny because the "sensitivity" is listed to be due to FODMAPs instead. One of them being Fructans.

Sources of fructans include wheat (though spelt contains comparatively low amounts),[6] rye, barley, onion, garlic, Jerusalem and globe artichoke, asparagus, beetroot, chicory, dandelion leaves, leek, radicchio, the white part of spring onion, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, fennel, chocolate and prebiotics such as fructooligosaccharides (FOS), oligofructose and inulin.[3][4][7]

So, really if you are sensitive to FODMAPs instead of gluten, you should still avoid gluten. On the foods that are okay on Wikipedia - all gluten free items are listed.

Bottom line, nothing changes.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics