Alpha-Ketoglutarate could treat BFS

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Alpha-Ketoglutarate could treat BFS

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 12th, 2015, 3:00 pm

If it helps with ALS, it can help with BFS.

Abstract:

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a neurodegenerative disorder of motor neurons causing progressive muscle weakness, paralysis, and eventual death from respiratory failure. There is currently no cure or effective treatment for ALS. Besides motor neuron degeneration, ALS is associated with impaired energy metabolism, which is pathophysiologically linked to mitochondrial dysfunction and glutamate excitotoxicity. The Deanna Protocol (DP) is a metabolic therapy that has been reported to alleviate symptoms in patients with ALS. In this study we hypothesized that alternative fuels in the form of TCA cycle intermediates, specifically arginine-alpha-ketoglutarate (AAKG), the main ingredient of the DP, and the ketogenic diet (KD), would increase motor function and survival in a mouse model of ALS (SOD1-G93A). ALS mice were fed standard rodent diet (SD), KD, or either diets containing a metabolic therapy of the primary ingredients of the DP consisting of AAKG, gamma-aminobutyric acid, Coenzyme Q10, and medium chain triglyceride high in caprylic triglyceride. Assessment of ALS-like pathology was performed using a pre-defined criteria for neurological score, accelerated rotarod test, paw grip endurance test, and grip strength test. Blood glucose, blood beta-hydroxybutyrate, and body weight were also monitored. SD+DP-fed mice exhibited improved neurological score from age 116 to 136 days compared to control mice. KD-fed mice exhibited better motor performance on all motor function tests at 15 and 16 weeks of age compared to controls. SD+DP and KD+DP therapies significantly extended survival time of SOD1-G93A mice by 7.5% (p = 0.001) and 4.2% (p = 0.006), respectively. Sixty-three percent of mice in the KD+DP and 72.7% of the SD+DP group lived past 125 days, while only 9% of the control animals survived past that point. Targeting energy metabolism with metabolic therapy produces a therapeutic effect in ALS mice which may prolong survival and quality of life in ALS patients.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25061944

Abstract:

Alpha-Ketoglutarate (AKG) is a biological substance that plays important roles in cell metabolism and physiology. AKG is synthesized from glucose or oxaloacetate plus pyruvate. As an intermediate of the tricarboxylic acid cycle, AKG is essential for the oxidation of fatty acids, amino acids, and glucose. Extracellular AKG is a significant source of energy for cells of the gastrointestinal tract. As a precursor for the synthesis of glutamate and glutamine in multiple tissues (including liver, skeletal muscle, heart, brain, and white adipose tissue), AKG bridges carbohydrate and nitrogen metabolism for both conservation of amino acids and ammonia detoxification. Additionally, emerging evidence shows that AKG is a regulator of gene expression and cell signaling pathways (including the mammalian target of rapamycin and AMP-activated protein kinase). Thus, AKG is an attractive dietary supplement in animal and human nutrition to improve cellular energy status, immunity, and health.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26122777

Note again, how sugar is a common denominator. Sugar information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21688&p=162826#p162826
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Alpha-Ketoglutarate could treat BFS

Postby Xina535 on August 13th, 2015, 5:17 am

thanks for posting this - I am missing how much of this supplement one should take daily? I googled it - is this the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Primaforce-Argini ... B003Y5DSAW
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 13th, 2015, 5:32 am

That's the same one I found. I'd ask your doctor to make sure it's the same. I think it is.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 13th, 2015, 5:42 am

Thanks!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 15th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Ok - my supplement shopping list was this:

Alpha Lipoic Acid (600mg a day)
CoQ10
acetyl-L carnitine

niacin-amide
riboflavin
methylcobalamin
thiamine
Phosphotidyl serine

Ginkgo Biloba
vitamin B12
folate
magnesium
Vitamin K
Alpha-Ketoglutarate

and I found a multivitamin that had this stuff in it:

100% daily value:
A (800 ug RE), B1 (1.1mg), B2 (1.4mg), B6 (1.4mg), B12 (2.5ug), C (80mg), D3 (5ug), E (12mg a-TE), K1 (75ug), Biotin (B7? - 50ug), Chrome (40ug), Fluor (3.5mg), Folic acid (200ug), Iodine (150ug), Iron (14mg), Niacin (B3? - 16mg NE), Pantothenic acid (B5? - 6mg), Copper (1000ug), Manganese (2mg), Molybdenum (50ug), Selenium (55ug), Zinc (10mg)

15% daily value:
Calcium (120mg), Magnesium (56mg)

Other:
Ginkgo biloba extract - 50mg
Lutein - 500ug

So I think I am only missing the ones in my list which I put in bold. ?
Now - this is 100% of the daily recommendation. When they mention using these supplements as treatment, are they talking way high doses?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics