Is abnormal ncv good

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is abnormal ncv good

Postby violetmom on August 12th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Is it generally true that abnormal ncv points away from als? Even abnormal motor? And normal sensory
violetmom

Re: Is abnormal ncv good

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 12th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Any disruption is bad.
Last edited by misterjuanperalta on August 17th, 2015, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on August 12th, 2015, 9:39 pm

nope it is not good it shows you have inflammation or your nerve is physically damaged (compressed), or you have neuropathy due to methabolic issues (chronic poisoning, diabetes), or autoimmune neuropathy (like Guienne-Barre).
Having the word 'motor' does not mean any sinistre however. It just mean you have neuropathy of motor nerves, not motor neuron disease.

Most often cause of motor neuropaties is still chronic compression (carpal and cubital syndrome), disk herniations, compression due to muscular tension (postural one, due to bad posture), etc.

So it is not good as it indicates you have problem, but not MND of course.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Capital H on August 17th, 2015, 5:37 pm

As Yuliasir says. Depends what you mean by good, I have after a number of years gone back to the hospital for further NCV tests and it's not really good, because it looks like my right hand definatly has a resurgence of Carpal Tunnel. It is only good if I am on a fairly fast track to having it operated on before my right hand goes the way that my left one did. That is my principal anxiety now. I lost a lot of muscle mass in my left hand because it took so long to recognise that I had Carpal Tunnel and Ulnar Neuropathy, for the most part I blame my GP at the time who pooh poohed my symptoms until it was too late.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics