Relieving the anxiety of ALS ...

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Relieving the anxiety of ALS ...

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 11th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Fasciculations occur in hereditary and non-hereditary diseases. Among the hereditary diseases, fasciculations are most frequently reported in familial MND, and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). Among the non-hereditary diseases, fasciculations occur most frequently in peripheral nerve hyperexcitability syndromes (Isaac's syndrome, voltage-gated potassium channelopathy, cramp fasciculation syndrome, Morvan syndrome). If the cause of fasciculations remains unknown, they are called benign.

Source: http://www.pubfacts.com/detail/25073774 ... ry-disease

Fasciculation potentials (FPs) may arise proximally or distally within the peripheral nervous system. We recorded FPs in the tibialis anterior using 2 concentric needle electrodes, ensuring by slight voluntary contraction and electrical nerve stimulation that each electrode recorded motor unit potentials innervated by different axons. Time-locked FPs recorded from both electrodes, suggesting a spinal origin (as in radiculopathies), were most frequent in benign fasciculation syndrome (44%) and MND without reinnervation (27%). Fewer time-locked FPs were found (14%) in the reinnervated tibialis anterior in MND. We conclude that in chronic partial denervation FPs are more likely to arise distally and that FPs in benign fasciculation syndrome more frequently arise proximally.

Source: http://www.pubfacts.com/detail/24145758 ... n-syndrome

This study suggests that, in addition to the lack of neurological deficits and the absence of abnormalities on electromyography, a history of psychiatric disorders and psychosomatic illnesses in persons experiencing increased burden of life stressors could be viewed as evidence supporting the diagnosis of BFS.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812734/
Last edited by misterjuanperalta on August 31st, 2015, 8:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Relieving the anxiety of ALS ...

Postby Xina535 on August 12th, 2015, 6:28 am

Ok, here is the full text - since it was not that long:

Fasciculation potentials (FPs) may arise proximally or distally within the peripheral nervous system. We recorded FPs in the tibialis anterior using 2 concentric needle electrodes, ensuring by slight voluntary contraction and electrical nerve stimulation that each electrode recorded motor unit potentials innervated by different axons.
Time-locked FPs recorded from both electrodes, suggesting a spinal origin, were most frequent in benign fasciculation syndrome (44%) (P < .001) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis without reinnervation (27%). Fewer time-locked FPs were found (14%) in the reinnervated tibialis anterior in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (P < .001).
We conclude that in chronic partial denervation FPs are more likely to arise distally and that FPs in benign fasciculation syndrome more frequently arise proximally.

I thought distally meant hands and feet - areas further away from the center of the body, and proximally meant shoulder, hips - areas closer to the center of the body.

The rest, confuses me really. The blue sentence tells me that FPs are found in the calves of both BFS and ALS, but then the sentence after that says to me that in ALS, the calves twitched less. ??
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 12th, 2015, 6:49 am

Proximal = closer and Distal = further. I think we both have a similar understanding.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics