Calf Twitches just talking it out..

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Calf Twitches just talking it out..

Postby RIno468 on July 28th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Just talking it out -- not looking for a response but if you want too - positive reinforcement is always helpful.

I changed my workout routine on my legs -- I went way lighter than I usually do but I did twice as many reps. Ever since then my left calf has been twitching. Not so much non stop but "pops" more times than it usually does. I need to remind myself this is because I changed a workout routine and put a different load on them than I normally do. My calves do not twitch normally.

I somehow at some point during the last month or so hurt my foot because the bottom of my foot aches when I walk (goes away the longer I walk though) - so though Im not walking funny yet -- I need to force the thoughts out of my head that it is because my leg muscles are weakening and putting undue stress on other muscles causing it to hurt.

And my hands are acting a little funny (painful, I "FEEL" like my grip is weakening, but I have no evidence to support) -- I also sleep with my wrists curled inward and sometimes on my stomach for added pressure - which will explain the hands. I need to remind myself that all of these things are explainable. I need to remind myself that I am not making excuses, but that these are real tangible reasons.

My twitching started about a year ago, and aside from the above, I have been, am, and will always be fine. This is nothing, thinking, and dwelling on it more only worsens the sensations.

I am fine.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Calf Twitches just talking it out..

Postby emmie.s on July 31st, 2015, 2:22 pm

Make sure you're drinking a sports drink with electrolytes after every workout, as I have noticed a direct correlation between post workout twitches and dehydration. It seems that people with BFS are more sensitive as well to vitamin deficiencies, so maybe a good idea to amp up the magnesium, potassium and calcium.
As for your calves not normally twitching...well I would say that the legs and arches of the feet are among the most common twitchy spots for many BFS (and non-bfs) people. So really no surprise there, it was just a matter of time. Next month you'll have a hotspot on your shoulder blade, then the month after it will be your thumb, and then your tongue, etc etc. That is typically how BFS works, but you've had this for a year so I'm sure you know that already. :D
As for your foot hurting, you would notice actual PROGRESSIVE weakness--not pain if you had something bad going on. Weakness as in falling down, tripping several times a day, etc. Not pain that goes away after you walk on it more. Same with your hands. If you use handheld devices like an iphone a lot that could also cause a "funny" feeling, plus as you stated so could sleeping on them. I got into a habit of sleeping weird on my right side and for a week I had an odd tired feeling in my shoulder. It went away after I changed pillows, so you may want to try altering your sleeping position.
Yes, you are fine. Remember that with something sinister there are no "weird feelings" and generally no pain, and that weakness itself doesnt feel like anything, rather it is just a state of being. Actually, no need to remember anything because it is just a waste of your time to worry about something that you clearly don't have. I hope you can enjoy your weekend and dont second guess yourself!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Xina535 on August 12th, 2015, 6:17 am

Same thing happened to me, as you may know. After exercise, calves (and my feet) started popping like popcorn, when they normally did not do that before. I trust they have died down, unless you continued to work them out, that would probably make them continue to twitch, I would think.

And just as you told me I don't have ALS because of the twitches and how long I've been twitching, the same goes to you. I may have been twitching longer, but you have twitched long enough I would say, and you don't have anything NOT working. Congrats!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group