New tiny twitches not felt - reaching out for support

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New tiny twitches not felt - reaching out for support

Postby Xina535 on August 9th, 2015, 7:35 am

I had a relapse day like no other yesterday.

Ever since I started going back to the gym and riding my bike, like 2-3 weeks ago (and I've only been there/rode my bike a couple of times), I started to feel more twitches and activity in both calves. I thought, "well, this is a direct reaction to the exercise" and while I was on Cymbalta regularly (not missing a dose like recently), I didn't really care.

Yesterday, I looked at my feet and calves, and I had a meltdown! I could SEE my calves and feet moving in random spots, but I couldn't FEEL that happening! Some bigger twitches, I could feel, but there were way more twitches happening than I could feel. This has probably been going on since I first noticed my calves twitching more since exercising. First time for me to have twitches on or under my feet and those I can see but can't feel.

I freaked out so bad that I went to the ER and was seen by a neuro. He said the twitching was too unspecific, he gave me a clinical exam (without checking reflexes), and said he did not find any neurological deficits. About my left arm pain, he said he will put in his report for my primary care doctor to prescribe me Lyrica. Blood tests, including electrolytes, all normal.

(Side note - I don't understand why I am being given pain meds when no one know exactly what is causing the pain!?)

Anyway, back to the calves and feet. My father told me to take Flexeril, the muscle relaxer. I took 10 mg before bed and boom - I felt all activity stop, pretty much in my whole body. I stared at my feet, and no movements were seen or felt. When I woke up, everything was still, and then as I moved more, the twitching also all came back, those I can feel and those I can't. So my calves and feet are going full blown now.

My questions:

Are the tiny twitches that you can see, but can't feel the "bad" ones, or does it not matter?

Could this new kind of twitching in my legs/feet be caused by starting up exercise again - and that it could last days or weeks after exercise?

If Flexeril helped all twitches to stop for the night, is that a good sign?

My parents think that my muscles are just so tense, and after so long of not doing any activity, I start up exercising again, that my legs/feet got stimulated and the fibers are being "woken up". But again, would this last days or weeks after the exercise? Today, after the Flexeril last night, my arm pain is way less and so is the neck pain. My neck feels much more "moveable" - can look left and right without pain.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: New tiny twitches not felt - reaching out for support

Postby Yuliasir on August 9th, 2015, 11:22 am

I think your father had a real ratio saying that.

also many fellows complain for twitching they can see but not feel and that is not a bad sign therefore.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 9th, 2015, 11:35 am

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "real ratio"?

Rational reason of thinking exercise could have awoken the fibers? If so, could this be happening days and weeks after exercising? I will take the Flexeril again tonight to see if it's tops again.

Flexeril would not stop or slow ALS type twitches? right? I've read they do get relief from muscle relaxers.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on August 10th, 2015, 12:39 am

He is right that your muscles are overtensed and were not trained enough for a while so they react in a twitching way.

Flexeril is a myorelaxant. Whatever causes muscle tension, it just makes it insensitive to the neural signals and therefore muscles are relaxed. It just quenches neurotransmission cascades in your synapses, so for the drug itsef there is no matter if you have twitches or muscle tension caused by ALS or due to strained muscle, or your muscle tension is caused by other reasons. By the fact you feel your muscles reacting on flexeril you can not decide if you have this or that reason for twitching, and of course you can not tell if you have them due to ALS or not.

As for the length of respond - I really do not know what to say. If you continue to load your muscles, then probably twitches may last for days and weeks. I do not know really.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 10th, 2015, 4:53 am

Ok thank you, again.

I had thought that nothing could help twitching if it were due to denervation. I thought the Flexeril in ALS patients would help more with cramps, not twitching. I have not had any cramps in the 2+ years I have been twitching (just the feeling of "about to cramp" that came and went). I hope that is a good thing.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on August 11th, 2015, 10:20 pm

I remember someone putting out some study about how random participants had electrodes put on the soles of their feet and the great majority of them had twitches but didnt even realize it. I wish I could find the thread; if I do I will post it.
If I looked at my calves and my feet I'm pretty sure I would find some twitches that I had no idea were there. In fact i think in the height of my paranoia I posted something about this exact topic and had several responses (back when this forum was full of activity and members).
The other day my mom was talking to me as we were walking outside and her bottom eyelid twitched like crazy for a few seconds. i asked her if she knew and she said she didnt even feel it.
So in short nothing to worry about.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Xina535 on August 12th, 2015, 5:56 am

Thank you, Emmie!

It does seem the board activity is dying down a bit.

The twitches on my feet that I could not feel, but could see, have died down. My overall twitching died down since I posted this. I am thinking what helped was a combo of these things:

Flexeril
Cortisone (I took 50mg yesterday when I had the burning pain in my arm)
A session of progressive muscle relaxation and stretching
Being back on my Cymbalta for a good couple of days since missing 2 days
Better sleep, due to Flexeril and Cymbalta

I have to say though, before and after my progressive muscle relaxation session, I saw a big difference in the amount of twitching. I will make sure to repeat that today.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group