Article: Ammonia Neurotoxicity causes ALS ??

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Article: Ammonia Neurotoxicity causes ALS ??

Postby Xina535 on August 2nd, 2015, 1:07 pm

http://f1000research.com/articles/4-119/v1

Anyone seen this? It's a bit over my head, but I thought I would post. I searched for "ammonia" before posting, and did not see anything related. What bothers me most about this article is that it states

"hyperammonia frequently leads to corticospinal hyperexcitability, myelopathy and spasticity—features strikingly reminiscent of neurophysiological phenotypes of ALS symptoms."

and this; "Moreover, ammonia toxicity explains a key neurophysiological feature of ALS: neuronal hyperexcitability17. Finally and most importantly, ammonia toxicity explains why ALS is mainly a motor neuron disease."

Is this "corticospinal" and "neuronal hyperexcitability" the same "hyperexcitability" we have used on this page? I've been told I have cervical myleopathy AND inflammation of my nerves (also mentioned in this article).

So, since reading this, I've been searching for "ammonia detox" stuff on the web. I found this blog, part 1, and I don't think he made a part 2 though.
http://nutristart.com/ammonia-toxicity-part-1/

Also, I read somewhere that wheat gluten contains a lot of ammonia. Am I going too far with this, trying to now detox from ammonia? Anyone have any insight on this? Is there a way to find out what levels your ammonia is?

I don't see a date on the article, but it was recently posted by an ALS facebook page that I am following.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Article: Ammonia Neurotoxicity causes ALS ??

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 2nd, 2015, 7:08 pm

Part 2 can be found here: http://nutristart.com/ammonia-toxicity-part-2/

I suggest that you get bloodwork to check for ammonia level. If normal and your liver is working well, your risk is low for toxic levels. If you're thinking about detoxification, control carbohydrate consumption, monitor cholesterol ratio (<=5) and care for your liver.

Recommended reading: http://www.drhoffman.com/article/21-way ... our-liver/
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on August 3rd, 2015, 11:14 am

oh no Xina you can have hyerammonia only in case of severe lack of kidney and liver function.

Any protein in your body is practically decomposed to ammonia. But kidneys should efficiently remove it from the blood, and moreover normal methabolism should convert it from ammonia form to various salts and nitrogen containing organics, like urea etc. Having free ammoina in the blood is a serious health problem, so if you have that, the least problem might be ALS - much more serious issues are on the way.

Fortunately, practically hyperammonihemia (high level of NH3 in the blood) is inherited disease and it develops usually at the first days of life abnd could not be missed. It is often fatal, and impacts overall development etc. So since you are still alive and realitvely well developed person, hardly you can have that kind of disorder.

I do not know what the article is talking about and how generally healthy people can get elevated ammonia to develop ALS - becasue ammonia 'window' is extremely low - only 2 times above average norm is practically a VERY BAD sign and person vomits, suffers from other issues and quite quickly gets into coma and dies.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 4th, 2015, 5:12 am

misterjuanperalta wrote:Part 2 can be found here: http://nutristart.com/ammonia-toxicity-part-2/

I suggest that you get bloodwork to check for ammonia level. If normal and your liver is working well, your risk is low for toxic levels. If you're thinking about detoxification, control carbohydrate consumption, monitor cholesterol ratio (<=5) and care for your liver.

Recommended reading: http://www.drhoffman.com/article/21-way ... our-liver/

Thanks for the Part 2 and the liver link and tips! I have this volcano powder detox stuff I bought awhile ago and never used. It was expensive and is supposed to suck leftover meds, metals, etc out of the body. It's called "Panaceo" (http://www.panaceo.com/en/home/) and is all natural and supports the liver, kidneys and intestines. Since I already have it, I'm just going to use it up. See what happens.

I am due for another blood test soon. My liver levels were high last time, but my psychologist thinks it was from the starting of Cymbalta or something like that. I am going to ask for the normal levels, then some more.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 4th, 2015, 5:17 am

Yuliasir wrote:oh no Xina you can have hyerammonia only in case of severe lack of kidney and liver function.

Any protein in your body is practically decomposed to ammonia. But kidneys should efficiently remove it from the blood, and moreover normal methabolism should convert it from ammonia form to various salts and nitrogen containing organics, like urea etc. Having free ammoina in the blood is a serious health problem, so if you have that, the least problem might be ALS - much more serious issues are on the way.

Fortunately, practically hyperammonihemia (high level of NH3 in the blood) is inherited disease and it develops usually at the first days of life abnd could not be missed. It is often fatal, and impacts overall development etc. So since you are still alive and realitvely well developed person, hardly you can have that kind of disorder.

I do not know what the article is talking about and how generally healthy people can get elevated ammonia to develop ALS - becasue ammonia 'window' is extremely low - only 2 times above average norm is practically a VERY BAD sign and person vomits, suffers from other issues and quite quickly gets into coma and dies.

Ok, so the article then is referring about people mainly who have bad livers and kidneys? It was quite over my head. Many people on the ALS page that I follow said that this is just another opinion, but of course they all hope it leads somewhere. I do too. This has gone long enough, an effective medicine is beyond overdue!!

FYI - For some reason, I was not notified by e-mail when you both replied to me, when that is usually what happened before and my settings are set that way.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on August 4th, 2015, 7:05 am

Xina, I really do not know what the article means (and do not want to waste time to dig it out, really). The only thing I can tell positively is that the window between 'slightly elevated' and 'deadly high' levels in case of ammonia is so narrow hat I do not think it is practically reasonable to consider ammonia poisoning as a reason for ALS. I mean ammonia is a bit like sugar - you do not need to have to too high to feel bad soon. Your liver indices should be rised 5 times from norm for a long time to indicate you have initial stage of chronic liver disease, but your ammonia has to be only twice higher than a norm and you are already candidate for coma and severe functional deficites. Hope you see the difference: Not slightly elevated enzymes becasue you take a lot of drugs, but severe condition, at which people usually feel really bad bad bad. Like poisoned, not like slightly bad.

I'm afraid you are going again on the same way of GAD/obsession, and really should talk to doctros about relapse, especially considering you are taking specific meds. Suppose the story with the hospital may be a root cause - in our condition every relatively or seemingly low stimulus might have wide consequences.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 7th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Yuliasir wrote:
I'm afraid you are going again on the same way of GAD/obsession, and really should talk to doctros about relapse, especially considering you are taking specific meds. Suppose the story with the hospital may be a root cause - in our condition every relatively or seemingly low stimulus might have wide consequences.

I do understand what you mean about the difference between ammonia and ammonia poisoning. I wonder why the person linked ammonia then. I can only hope that it will help science further and not DISTRACT and waste researcher's valuable time and even more valuable donor money for research.

For a relapse, this is very possible. I feel like the hospital and all of those doctors stabbed me in the back. I am still working on the letter to send to the top administration over here. So right now, I don't have a doctor. Just a hospital that will continue to write me my prescriptions.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics