Somehing I've been dealing with

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Somehing I've been dealing with

Postby misterjuanperalta on July 24th, 2015, 6:44 am

My twitching began around the same time as my closest partner's of twenty years. For years, she suffered from one type of migraine with auras and floaters that over time evolved to a second type with pains and/or cervicalgia, plus temporary vision loss. That led her to re-visit a neurologist, as per her previous neurologist's recommendations, if her migraines changed, which they did. The neurologist told her that her brain MRI showed the same white spots shown in her previous MRI years earlier, which was observed with certain migraines and in MS as well. But because there was no change with normal reflexes, the neurologist determined that her neurological exam was unremarkable.

She also had an MRI of her cervical spine which was pretty normal, except for some straightening and aging deformity in some areas that were not significant. This MRI was prescribed by the neurologist in response to symptoms of numbness of her upper back or cervical dermatome. This part of the evaluation did not result in much of an explanation, except to improve posture, stretch, mobilize and stabilize her upper back. So, at that point, the visit was over and she went home.

Fast forward just over a year later. At her dental appointment, the hygienist kept telling her to stop moving her tongue even though she was not moving it. Her upper limbs are very weak and seemingly atrophied, secondary to what she claims is tennis elbow or cubital tunnel, which is suspicious. She has a hard time opening bottles and tremors after over-usage. Her legs are also getting smaller, seemingly atrophied and also displaying ankle symptoms and tripping once in a while. Along with all of this, she is also experiencing paresthesias, coughing, drooling and the like. She does not want to see a doctor because she believes it's nothing sinister.

Any thoughts?
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Somehing I've been dealing with

Postby emmie.s on July 24th, 2015, 5:05 pm

The only thoughts I have is that it is likely something to do with the spine, like a disk herniation or the like. However she really ought to get an EMG and see a neurologist, because of the possibility that it is something that can be treated with medication, surgery, or therapy, so the longer she ignores her symptoms the worse her condition will get.
If it is real clinical weakness, MS and autoimmune conditions are also a possibility. I am sorry she is having such strange symptoms, I hope she finds answers soon.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby misterjuanperalta on July 24th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Thank you.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor