Thenar hotspot

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thenar hotspot

Postby thequestion1 on May 16th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Really frustrated that my left thenar intensely twitches sporadically throughout the day. My whole thumb moves when this happens. Very scary and bothersome. Trying to ignore but it's difficult to ignore twitches I can see. The twitches on my legs and calves are invisible to me, so I can ignore easier. I really hope this twitch fades away because it is happening a lot, not nonstop, but frequently.

I've been twitching for 1.5 years. Had clean clinical exams and clean emg last December, but always worried about exacerbations and what it could mean.
thequestion1

Re: Thenar hotspot

Postby leaflea on May 16th, 2015, 4:49 pm

I hear you. It is annoying but 99.99% sure it means exactly nothing :-) I had this the very day after a clean EMG and clinical. It does go away, only to reappear a few weeks later in the other thenar.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby thequestion1 on May 17th, 2015, 12:36 pm

I am trying to think the same although this is probably the worst focal twitch I have had (out of the blue) and my thenar feels tired. Not weak, but just tired, I assume from all the twitching
thequestion1

Postby leaflea on May 17th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Sometimes it will get sore, and I didn't even know I'd been twitching there though that one is hard to ignore. Do a search on this and you will find more information. Not at all rare around here.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby thequestion1 on May 20th, 2015, 7:08 am

I am hoping this hotspot will go away! This one is the worst I have had. Twitches are induced by movement and since it's a thumb, I am moving it a lot!
thequestion1

Postby emmie.s on May 20th, 2015, 12:06 pm

I had a thenar hotspot last about three months once. I had to go to one (or maybe two or three, I honestly forget) acupuncture sessions to relieve it. It may have just been a placebo affect though. It is seriously nothing to worry about, so many of us here get it. yes it does get tired because its getting an involuntary workout.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby thequestion1 on May 22nd, 2015, 3:15 pm

emmie.s wrote:I had a thenar hotspot last about three months once. I had to go to one (or maybe two or three, I honestly forget) acupuncture sessions to relieve it. It may have just been a placebo affect though. It is seriously nothing to worry about, so many of us here get it. yes it does get tired because its getting an involuntary workout.

Good to know. The twitching is annoying, but the fatigue at the sight of the twitch is a bit unnerving. Since I am typing this on my phone it can't be weakness, but I would like the hotspot to go away!
thequestion1

Postby emmie.s on May 24th, 2015, 4:19 pm

The funny thing is that to this day, almost two years later I can still induce twitches on my two thumbs, if I hit the fleshy part of my thenar hard enough (or if I slap something/someone LOL). Go figure, its just hyper excitable nerves. I showed neurologists a few times and they don't seem to care. If I had something more sinister I would be dead by now, since my twitching and symptoms first appeared before Obama was in office.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management