excitotoxicity ?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

excitotoxicity ?

Postby Kevo5684 on May 20th, 2015, 7:29 am

Ok this is by far.the most scared I have ever been any and all replies to this will be greatly appreciated I am not educated with all this but I have stumbled on some information about excess glutamate causing a reaction known as excitotoxicity and it's pretty scary to Google because it says it causes *** and other things so now I'm thinking ok so bfs just a process is that why all my muscles are twitching like this ! I hope to God not but I'm nit sure please help.mw with this topic should I cut out all gluten I would also like.to get some info on this leaky gut ? Please help
Kevo5684

Re: excitotoxicity ?

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 20th, 2015, 12:00 pm

Going gluten free has never been easier than it is today. Millions are doing it and are living perfectly happy and normal lives. I would recommend everyone with neurological symptoms like BFS at least try going gluten free for an extended period of time to see how they feel. It is not a magic bullet or cure but it can help alleviate a multitude of chronic health problem symptoms. you won't know until you try. It made a big difference for myself and several others here. Others claim it made know difference. It's easy low hanging fruit to try though so why not? Your call. I also recommend looking into leaky gut because treating G for that was key in my recovery. again, not all here are like me though so you'll just have to see for yourself.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Kevo5684 on May 20th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Is it real is it an actual diodnosable thing
Kevo5684

Postby mwagner on May 20th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Excitotoxicity is caused by an excess of glutamate not gluten. I hope you're not confusing the two.

Glutamate exists in such things as Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), Whey Protein, many supplements (such things as glutathione, Glutamic Acid, etc.).

I have to watch my glutamate intake because I have an anxiety disorder, and anxiety is also related to excess glutamate in the brain.

Google GABA and Glutamate to learn more about it.

Going on a gluten free diet has nothing to do with glutamate.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on May 20th, 2015, 12:50 pm

PS: But, I agree with SAM that Gluten is often a culprit of neurological problems, so wise to give a GF diet a shot.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on May 20th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Kevo
first of all you messed up gluten and glutamate.
Glutamate (sodium glutamate ) is a salt like our regular kitchen salt, just the acid meoty is different - common salt is made of hydrochloric acid (chloride) and glutamate is made of glutamic acid (that is why it is called glutamate).

Gluten is a protein, specific for wheat and rye, and in about 20 % of caucasian population it could cause some kind of allergic reaction, fom slight one till pretty bad (this one is called celiacia, and it accompanied with specific stool, loss of weight, retarded physical and mental development, edemas etc.) There is still no 100 % certain if gluten is a direct cause of what is called IBS, but many people feel better cutting off what and rye products - less gases, less bloating, less diarrhoea or bowel cramps.

You can cut off gluten - no wheat/rye prpducts and no beer is not a big deal since we have rice, cinoa, corn, buckwheat and potatoes, and vine and vodka :))) But you never could cut off glutamate - unless you would refuse to use meat, fish, dairy, nuts, mushrooms and legumes. After that you must live on greens like cucumbers (no tomatoes - they contain alot of substances easily converting into glutamate, that is why they are so tasty), salad and apples.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Kevo5684 on May 20th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Ok so I tally don't understand

1. Does glutamate have anything to do with bfs or *** ? I have saw some Web sites that kindoff said it does

2.does excitotoxicity have anything to do with bfs or ***

3.are either of these things something I should take out of diet
Kevo5684

Postby misterjuanperalta on May 20th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Glutamate is necessary. Gluten is not. Neurotoxicity is possible when not metabolized properly in either. Too much causes hyperexcitation or damage.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on May 21st, 2015, 12:35 am

1. No. No solid proofs, just speculations. I had also seen cyanobacteria were blamed for ALS. NO SOLID PROOFS. Moreover, BFS and ALS are absolutely different conditions.

2. Not clear. There is some understanding that ALS could involve some excitotoxicicty but what is the immediate cause - we still do not know. Considering how essential is sodium glutamate and how rare is ALS - hardly it could be glutamate itself, without supporting metabolic changes for example. If this is a question of metabolic changes, then nothing could help, there almost no such thing as a glutamate free diet, moreover, glutamate is an essential neuromediator, and your body produce it and need it so it just could not fucntion without it.
As for BFS, it is still an umbrella diagnosis without clear mechanism, so the amount of speculation is even higher here.

3. You COULD NOT physically take glutamate out of your diet unless you want to live on apples and water. Also, if you do not have metabolic issues (suspected) which support glutamate uptake inhibition, there is no danger you may damage your nerves with excessive glutamate, and if you do have them - nothing till now could help you.

you could cut off gluten (which is different thing) - and this is a good way to eat more healthy, tasty and diverse food (no burgers, cookies, pastr, bread and beer) - this would not harm you in any way (exccept after a few years on such diet you would be extremely bloating after eating even a bit of wheat/rye based products like bread or pasta).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 21st, 2015, 8:22 am

Yuliasir wrote:you could cut off gluten (which is different thing) - and this is a good way to eat more healthy, tasty and diverse food (no burgers, cookies, pastr, bread and beer) - this would not harm you in any way (exccept after a few years on such diet you would be extremely bloating after eating even a bit of wheat/rye based products like bread or pasta).

I agree with pretty much everything Yuliasir said in her comment but want to make a minor clarification regarding the "no burgers, cookies, pasta, bread and beer" part. All of these foods are still available in a gluten free form, even beer, and they are being perfected to the point that you won't know the difference. they are harder to come by than their gluten containing counterparts, but they are easier to come by than they have ever been. This trend is continuing to grow. For example, you can get a gluten free burger bun at Red Robin now. More pizza places offer gluten free pizza dough and bread. My wife buys a gluten free pasta that is indistinguishable in taste from the old brand we used to buy. Good times ahead for us gluten free folks.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on May 21st, 2015, 9:15 am

Yep, SAM, thanks for update. I just meant - no regular goods like that :)))

we here (In Kiev for example) have gluten-free cookies and pasta in a supermarkets just at the corner but I still did not see gluten free beer, suppose it should be rice based (regular beer also contins some rice for the strongest sorts but Inever heard about 100 % rye free or barley free beer :))) should be funny stuff I think.

anyway gluten free diet is a nice and pleasant thing. A lot of tasty veggies, grains etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on May 21st, 2015, 10:53 am

Rice flour is higher in *beep*. Consumer beware.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 21st, 2015, 6:55 pm

I honestly have not tried gluten free beer yet. I was a home brewer and don't really want to go there. Wine of course is gluten free along with just about any other kind of alcoholic beverage. :)
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics