Bulbar anxiety

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Bulbar anxiety

Postby NeedAssurance on May 4th, 2015, 12:48 pm

joycecaroll wrote:I'm so sick of this anxiety! I would like to just post what's happened the last 6 months and maybe get some thoughts on it from you guys? I allways feel better after getting some rational pointers from you.

Anyway, here it goes. Daily twitches in tongue started in September -14. Before then I'd had some tongue twitches, but not much. From September until now I've basically been having daily twitches in my tongue. Sometimes a lot, sometimes just a handfull. Some weeks I haven't been feeling them at all, but I haven't been looking either so I don't know if I have silent ones.
Had an EMG of tongue, trapezius, arm, hand and leg done this month, about 6 months after fasciculation onset. This was clean. The neuro saw my tongue and could not see any twitches. He checked bulbar reflexes and everything was fine.

So. I feel like I've done everything I can do. I've done EMG (actually two, I din one in August as well) and there doesn't seem to be any progression so far. The tongue twitches remain, and everytime I feel a twitch there my heart breaks.

What do you guys think? A clean EMG after 6 months - am I in the clear?

Thank you so much for reading! <3

I've been twitching all over my body for nearly 10 years, and never noticed tongue fasics until last week!
NeedAssurance
Interested
Interested

Postby Pascal35 on May 4th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Hi there,

I have just read this thread and actually is not a good moment for me too.
I am dealing with this fear for around 1.5 years now.
During this time i too had tongue twitches and had EMGs in bulbar areas. Actually luckily i never had so much twitching in any muscle but randomly i would have a few twitches somewhere on my body on a daily basis...

Reading statistics and about EMGs and other people's stories have made me face serious psychological problems.
I created "new" symptoms every day (weakness, bulbar, legs, thenar, etc) and i check my body on a daily basis, make strength tests, check my tongue etc...Actually i think i have also injured some tendons on my left index finger and i have a terrible pain (I'm afraid that this will turn up to weakness!!!)

YOU DONT WANT TO END UP LIKE THAT.
You are only 25. I am also young (37) but you must stop reading any information about ALS and neurological conditions. We will all die at some point so if i were you i would go out and enjoy my life. People like us, with high level of anxiety, should not really read and get more information as we cannot deal with it properly. This creates panic.
Good luck and stay away from anything that is BFS or Neurological related.
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on May 5th, 2015, 12:04 pm

NeedAssurance wrote:
joycecaroll wrote:I'm so sick of this anxiety! I would like to just post what's happened the last 6 months and maybe get some thoughts on it from you guys? I allways feel better after getting some rational pointers from you.

Anyway, here it goes. Daily twitches in tongue started in September -14. Before then I'd had some tongue twitches, but not much. From September until now I've basically been having daily twitches in my tongue. Sometimes a lot, sometimes just a handfull. Some weeks I haven't been feeling them at all, but I haven't been looking either so I don't know if I have silent ones.
Had an EMG of tongue, trapezius, arm, hand and leg done this month, about 6 months after fasciculation onset. This was clean. The neuro saw my tongue and could not see any twitches. He checked bulbar reflexes and everything was fine.

So. I feel like I've done everything I can do. I've done EMG (actually two, I din one in August as well) and there doesn't seem to be any progression so far. The tongue twitches remain, and everytime I feel a twitch there my heart breaks.

What do you guys think? A clean EMG after 6 months - am I in the clear?

Thank you so much for reading! <3

I've been twitching all over my body for nearly 10 years, and never noticed tongue fasics until last week!

Really?? How often do you have them?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on May 5th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Pascal35 wrote:Hi there,

I have just read this thread and actually is not a good moment for me too.
I am dealing with this fear for around 1.5 years now.
During this time i too had tongue twitches and had EMGs in bulbar areas. Actually luckily i never had so much twitching in any muscle but randomly i would have a few twitches somewhere on my body on a daily basis...

Reading statistics and about EMGs and other people's stories have made me face serious psychological problems.
I created "new" symptoms every day (weakness, bulbar, legs, thenar, etc) and i check my body on a daily basis, make strength tests, check my tongue etc...Actually i think i have also injured some tendons on my left index finger and i have a terrible pain (I'm afraid that this will turn up to weakness!!!)

YOU DONT WANT TO END UP LIKE THAT.
You are only 25. I am also young (37) but you must stop reading any information about ALS and neurological conditions. We will all die at some point so if i were you i would go out and enjoy my life. People like us, with high level of anxiety, should not really read and get more information as we cannot deal with it properly. This creates panic.
Good luck and stay away from anything that is BFS or Neurological related.

Thank you for sharing that Pascal. How often did you get the tongue twitches?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby misterjuanperalta on May 6th, 2015, 7:42 am

Read this post. It could apply to you.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16107

Regards
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint