Worried about something stupid. A little help?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Worried about something stupid. A little help?

Postby Arkansan on April 26th, 2015, 1:17 pm

Hi all! Long time no see!

So I have been doing a lot better for some time now. I mean the bfs is still there but for the most part I don't stress too awfully bad about it.

However I did have a little incident a few minutes ago. We have a water cooler in my house that has a little catch tray in it, you know to catch anything that doesn't make it from the spigot to the cup.

I caught my son playing in it (he's 16 months) there was this gunky brown stuff floating in the water that had collected in the catch tray. I'm terrified that this could have been some of the algae that has been implicated in ALS. Now I know that a few days ago the little one put some of his hot wheels cars over in the tray, so maybe it's dirt from those? I mean the stuff in the water wasn't a blue-green color like the algae that is supposed to be a problem.

Am I freaking out for nothing here?
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Worried about something stupid. A little help?

Postby nickston on April 26th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I wouldn't sweat it. I have some algae growing on my backyard fence and had a toxic cleanup guy come out to take a look and tell me if it was the cyanobacteria. He said no, it's plain jane, cyanobacteria usually requires some type of odd contaminant to cause growth in the first place.
nickston
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arkansan on April 26th, 2015, 5:00 pm

That's good to hear. I had my mother look at it and she said it just looked like dirt to her. I mean the dangerous stuff is typically that blue green color right? This was a sandy color if it even was algae. I didn't know the bad stuff usually needed some sort of contaminant, I can't think of what would have been in the catch tray, other than my son sticking his toy cars in there every chance he gets, lol.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on April 26th, 2015, 9:49 pm

my friend, you are really thinking far too much about safety.

first of all, cyanobacteria, even if they live on your back yard in a pool, would not harm you just by touch. Not all of them contain (possibly) neurotoxins, and in order to get (assumingly) harm from those (not always occuring) neurotoxins, you may need eating something which was on the top of food chain based on cyanobacter, for well a decade. For example, have exclusively fish diet, i mean really EXCLUSIVELY fish and sea food diet. Or eat bats which eat sap, in which cyanobacters are growing.

Of course you have bio slime in your water cooler tray, which does not do much harm neither to you nor to your child, but it is better to be regularly removed anyway in terms of plain cleaning, not becasue it could be a cyanobacter which assumnigly could cause neurodegenerative disease.
Algae become your BOO, and for me personally it seems a BOO of very little relevance.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group