Emg Question

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Emg Question

Postby HonkeyKong on April 20th, 2015, 7:45 pm

At 8 months after onset of fasciculation, how reliable is a clean emg? I had an entire side of my body done, including my back, and it came back clean. That made me feel a little better, but the twitching and weakness feelings continue. Is 8 months enough time to wait to be sure im in the clear from ***?
HonkeyKong

Re: Emg Question

Postby Yuliasir on April 20th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Hi,
as you may see on the recent example of the fellow diagnosed with ALS, in 1 year he had a diagnosis and in 8 months he had enough clear clinical issues to be followed up with a serious suspicion that something is wrong. Unlike to two other fellows with this diagnosis, Vince did not left the forum right after diagnosis and if he would drop in, I am sure he would say the same in person.

If you have nothing more than twitches in 8 months and a clean EMG on affected side, then the chances for their benign nature are very high. EMG is not a therapeutic action, and it does not cure twitches and other symptoms, and the difference between feeling weak and being weak is huge.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby physerv24 on April 21st, 2015, 7:29 am

100% correct Yuliasir. I keep reading in so many posts about "feelings" of weakness. That is not weakness. Mine was there very early and only progressed. There was no way I could ever describe it as a feeling of weakness (although I often tried to tell myself that). The docs saw this, my second EMG of the affected hand picked up the abnormalities and unfortunately it just kept progressing. By 8 months in I had marked weakness in my left hand and had begun to slur my speech. Please, please get this disease out of your mind. Focus on the positive and helping others.

Vince
physerv24

Postby HonkeyKong on April 21st, 2015, 8:26 am

Thank you so much for the responses Yulisar and Vince.

Vince, I'm so sorry, I just read about your condition. I'll be sure to keep you and your family in my prayers as you continue your couragous fight and hope that it's a very slow progressing form to which treatment becomes available in the very near future.

I know you're both right, i just get discouraged when my hands and arms continue to feel weaker. They were still 5/5 on the clinical exam so i guess its perceived weakness. I just haven't been the same since the twitiching started 9 months ago. Sorry to bug yall... you just all seem so nice and seem to be pretty intelligent when it comes to BFS vs ***. I use this site to help build my confidence in my diagnosis, by read current and old posts and trying to tell myself that I'm not alone with my symptoms.

I just need to get a grip.
HonkeyKong

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS