General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Buzznerd123 on March 30th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Last edited by Buzznerd123 on May 1st, 2016, 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buzznerd123
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Post-infectious widespread twitching

Postby BFSBurger on April 10th, 2015, 12:21 am

Holy cow!

(PS: notice how absolutely nobody responded and has nothing to say even though this article is ****insane**** ? See?)

Okay where was i.

Holy cow!

"We present a 37-year-old male subject who presented with burning sensations in his hands and feet
with generalised twitching of his limbs, trunk and face. His symptoms developed 2 weeks after an
upper respiratory tract infection. There was associated facial flushing and disturbed night sleep but no
memory impairment or generalised sweating. Examination showed generalised myokymia and
fasciculations and electromyography revealed widespread continuous semi-rhythmic doublets and
triplets of low frequency with interspersed silent periods. Anti voltage gated potassium channel
antibodies, antinuclear antibodies, anti-acetylcholine receptor antibodies and the anti-neuronal
antibodies anti Hu, anti Yo and anti Ri were all negative. His symptoms improved slightly on
lamotrigine and amitriptyline."

Mirror anyone?

That's incredible. I have read so many things about post-viral infection disorders that last years. Over and over I run across situations where someone had an infection and something "broke" in the immune system (i assume) and they dealt with ongoing problems for months/years. The simple fact is that they know very little about the immune system, just like they know very little about the brain.

But this is an amazing find, and I hope everyone here will read it.

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby crotwich on April 10th, 2015, 6:15 am

Many thanks for this link Buzznerd123, this is indeed very interesting.

Recently I have talked to Prof. S. Vucic (a leading MND expert from Australia) about the differentiation between PNH/BFS/CFS/Neuromyotonia/Isaacs'.

Here is a part of his response:

The terminology in this disorder is all over the place. Some people call it Benign fasiculation syndrome (BFS) while others refer it to acquired neuromyotonia. Isaacs syndrome is a variant of this with some non-neurological features such as sweating. So its a matter of degrees rather than an absolute difference. The frequency of fasiculations can vary from person to person and cramps may not occur. Voltage gated K+ channels are poorly sensitive and if absent don't really mean much.

So BFS might be just a milder version of (acquired) neuromyotonia, without doublet or multiplet (myokymic) motor unit discharges (i.e. a group B in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12135978).

As I mentioned in my eariler post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21492, a few weeks before I noticed fascicualtions, I have had a terrible pressure feeling behind my eyes combined with dizziness and nausea, which lasted for 2-3 weeks. During that time I have done brain MRI and just recently I noticed it probably revealed a sinus inflammation. Since I assume there are many similar stories around here, can you please write down your initial symptoms in the thread mentioned above. Thanks, Cro.
crotwich

Postby Buzznerd123 on April 10th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Last edited by Buzznerd123 on May 1st, 2016, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzznerd123
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby DKM on April 13th, 2015, 7:58 am

I was working in the north west Australian outback and got bitten a lot my mosquitoes one particular week after some rain.
Within a couple of days I felt horrible, fatigued, and just a general feeling of being run down. Within a week I developed twitching in my calves which spread all over my body in random bursts. Been twitching on and off for 14 months now with other on/off symptoms such as TMJ
DKM

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics