Hyperexcitability phase

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Hyperexcitability phase

Postby TwitchyDoc on April 8th, 2015, 1:49 am

As Yulia and I mentioned, what about reflux disease, any signs of that? Burning behind the sternum, regurgitation of stomach content, excessive burping? Occassional coughing when you lay down?
Anyway, if you cough on daily basis, do get it checked to know the cause.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on April 8th, 2015, 4:20 am

Yes I have some reflux issues. My diafragm does not close completly. But I don't cough more than a few times a day.

I'm more anxious about my finger at the moment. I did some strenght tests, and I know that's stupid. Anyway, my pinkie in my dominant hand is a bit "weaker" than the other. This is the same that is a bit "crocked". Not a lot of difference though. Since it's my domniant hand I feel it should be stronger.

Anyway, they did an EMG on that hand, by the thumb. It showed nothing. Can I stop worrying about this hand stuff?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on April 8th, 2015, 6:19 am

Actually, it is the same for me, when I do the simple "paper slip" test, I am able to hold it a bit more tight with my non-dominant hand. PS: I did that test 2 years ago and apparently, it has not progressed since then. You certainly can stop worrying...
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on April 8th, 2015, 6:52 am

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 @twitchyDoc
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on April 9th, 2015, 10:54 am

The muscles in my dominant hand has been twitching for like a week now... I'm so scared. Right near the thumb. Nothing in my other hand. The knee on the same side has been twitching non stop for two weeks. I mean, these are the excact same body parts that was checked with EMG just 3 weeks ago. It's just so ironic.

Anyway... do you guys think it's just because I'm focused on this hand that it's started twitching? Do you think something would have showed on the emg if something was going on in that hand?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby nickston on April 9th, 2015, 1:42 pm

It is probably your incredible amount of anxiety that is triggering the twitching, and your focus on the hand. If your EMG was clear SO RECENTLY, then why are you worrying about it?

I was once at a drug store drive through. The pharmacist was taking a long time to fill the order, and it was their fault that I was waiting in line. They asked me to just hang on, and that there was no need for me to pull around and come back later so that other customers could get through. They were close to finishing the order. So I waited. And this crazy lady from New York (unmistakable accent) behind me gets out of her car, walks up to me in a fit of rage, squeezes herself between my car and the pharmacist's window, and starts berating me for something that was not my fault. Now I'm pretty hot tempered myself, and it took everything for me to restrain myself, but after she walked away, I was so livid. But what I remember most distinctly about that moment is the CRAZY twitching that just took over. I was pretty much twitchless for a long time, and this happened, and I was twitching like mad.

Stress can play a huge role in this. Find something relaxing to do.
nickston
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on May 3rd, 2015, 11:15 pm

Here I go again with another question. So I read that according to Eisen 8 months without clinical signs is enough to exclude als. It's been 8 months for me this week.

Does clinical signs mean sigbs that show on a clinical, or does it mean emg?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on May 3rd, 2015, 11:48 pm

Clinical means signs found during exam. This includes impaired grip or walking ability, loss of reflexes or their asymmetry, speech problems, other clinicaly notable weakness etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on May 4th, 2015, 12:39 am

So in bulbar clinical signs would probably be slurred speach noticable by others?

Yesterday as I drifted of to sleep I started coughing after swallowing down the wrong pipe. It scared me. This morning I drank my coffee without any oroblems though. I'm thinking the choking spells in bulbar would be more frequent?

Thank you Yulia <3
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on May 4th, 2015, 12:54 am

Joyse, sorry for being a kind of dark prophet, but looks like 8 months would mean nothing for you. Your problem is not MND but fear of having MND, and this fear, on my point of view and on my experience, takes about 2-3 years to relieve without any external and strong help (with the proper help it takes about 3 months to get initial reief and up to 1 years or so for getting practically stable remission). I prognose this on the basis of almost 4 years of being on this site and on my lifelong GAD experience (both in treated and untreated version).

From your posts it looks like you did not develop any symproms of neurological deficiency, either of MND origin or due to other neurological problems (like neuritis etc.). This is of course excellent and expected result, but I personally do not expect you could be free of fears in a next few weeks or even months, becasue fears are just a part, a top part of iceberg :) Be prepared it will take much more time for it to melt.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on May 6th, 2015, 7:43 am

Read this post. It could apply to you.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16107

Regards
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint