Does long term twitching become painful?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Does long term twitching become painful?

Postby Scboy on March 14th, 2015, 4:19 pm

I have this costant pain in legs. It's better some days than others but it is always there to some degree. I'm trying to figure out the source of the pain. It's not really a neuropathic pain and it seems to go away when I move around. It's like a warm ache type pain. Very hard to describe. My legs twitch constantly and was wondering if the simple twitching continuously could actually cause this type of pain? Anybody else feel this everyday?
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Does long term twitching become painful?

Postby crotwich on March 14th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Hi,

I also have a constant pain (and fatigue) but only in my right leg, which is the most affected limb with fasciculations. The pain is most pronounced when I stand or walk slowly. Two months ago I began to have strange pinching/tingling sensations in this leg. My neuro prescribed me Lyrica, but I didn't notice any improvement. I read from your previous posts you were on Tegretol. Did it help with the pain and fasics?
crotwich

Postby Scboy on March 14th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Nope. I've found nothing that helps this. Lyrica made it worse for me.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Scboy on March 14th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Actually Alpha Liporic Acid 400mg a day does help some for me, but far from 100% relief. I notice more pain if I miss a day.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby reanne2489 on March 16th, 2015, 8:49 am

I get what you're saying with this...although it may be worthwhile seeing a physio/ osteopath...i haven't come to any definitive conclusions, as I wouldn't be here if I didn't have own concerns about my health, but I had some EXTREME neck pain recently, and started seeing a physio, and almost immediately started feeling better...now this neck pain is postural, but the physio asked after examining me, whether I get muscle twitching, and she put this down to how tight my muscles were and the fact some are constantly tense when they should be relaxed...and I found this interesting, as when this neck pain was most pronounced, I was getting a lot of new twitching in the area it was sore/ tight.

Also, when my twitching kicked off back at the beginning of sept 2015, it was mostly in my calves and left foot. It has recently returned to the left food, which also gets sore in the arch [which I have had concerns of looking more pronounced than the right foot], and this has been since I started doing exercises again. And, I know for BFS sufferers, we can often trigger excess twitching from exercise, and in turn over active muscle fibers can cause pain in the muscles. I also cramp more after exercise- like the arches of my feet and calves tighten up.

I am presently trying to streamline my diet, and follow my Food Hospital book. There is nothing in there for ALS sufferers/ BFS sufferers but for Restless Legs it recommends foods rich in Magnesium and Vitamin B [anything involving nerve transmission can be supported here] and cutting out coffee/ tea and all stimulants, and regular stretching [yoga/pilates etc]
reanne2489

Postby crotwich on March 16th, 2015, 10:23 am

Scboy wrote:Actually Alpha Liporic Acid 400mg a day does help some for me, but far from 100% relief. I notice more pain if I miss a day.

Thanks for the information. I read some other members also noticed improvement from ALA, so it's definitely worth a shot. The only thing I found so far that helps with the pain is Aspirin (but only temporarily of course). Do you have any back problems (like radiculopathy)?
crotwich

Postby Christina91013 on March 19th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Scboy,
Yes! I have had muscle pain since November 2013 which was around one month after this mess started for me. Most of my pain is on my upper right arm and at the top of my right leg- on my back side below my gluteus. My primary neuro. Mentioned that pain is common for twitchers which makes sense because most of my twitching is in those areas. And I have twitched everywhere- tounge included. Three EMGs later, still in pain, still twitching and it has not stopped for a moment since October 2013. ibuprofen helps a little but not much- so tired of this. The worst part is that people who haven't gone through this have no comprehension of what this is and I get tired of people trying to explain it away as stress. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Take care,
Christina
Christina91013

Postby Buzznerd123 on March 20th, 2015, 7:51 am

Last edited by Buzznerd123 on May 1st, 2016, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzznerd123
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on March 23rd, 2015, 9:17 am

I was having some muscle pain and numerous aching spots all over my body at one point. A significant portion of my BFS symptoms evolved into muscle tissue pain and aching. This is why my bewildered neurologist surmised possibly Fibromyalgia. Mostly because he knew it wasn't ALS, but didn't know what it was. I did a lot of research, reading, and investigating. For months. Ultimately all my learning lead me to the possibility that my diet was playing a role in my symptoms, even though it had never seemed to play a role in the past. My muscle pain went away almost immediately when I stopped wheat / gluten products. I have no idea why. But it worked. And it has worked for several other people here.

If you're open to the possibility of trying something that might help, I would give this a shot and see how you feel after 2-3 weeks, without cheating: No breads. No pastas of any kind. No caffeine. No sugars.
The first two are the most important. The second two are extremely important.

Turmeric gives me worse symptoms / hives. So careful with that stuff. Its potent. If you notice the aching getting worse after taking it, do not continue. Supplements have for the most part only been a way to make BFS worse for a lot of us here. I have tried them all. I now only use 4 supplements and they have served me well. Just pay very close attention to your body after you take the Turmeric, if you do. Its highly inflammatory for me, which makes very little sense.

Despite having mostly recovered from BFS now, to this day if I begin sugar-containing foods (eat lots of ice cream. couple oreos a day for a week. soda on and off for a week, etc) or other inflammation-promoting foods, my calf muscle will begin to lock up and ache. My thighs will begin to hurt. Simply eliminating these foods was sufficient to stop it. No supplements needed. Every time. This is an important tenant to remember: Its not about continuing to eat poorly, and then pop a supplement. Your food ITSELF may be promoting inflammation. Eliminate the cause, and the inflammatory response may go away.

Also, consider mild dumbbell workout on the affected muscle. Often times I have found that working the muscles that are hurting, results in complete "calm" in the day or two after. Exercise, if not done too intensely, is extremely therapeutic for this disorder. Without it, I would be a complete mess still. It reduces immune overactivity, inflammation, and stress hormones. All of which I believe play a huge part in this.

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group