New Research

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Research

Postby BFSBurger on March 10th, 2015, 7:08 pm

For those of you who scoffed (and still scoff), and for those of you who are willing to listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e44HxVUOyzM

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: New Research

Postby Buzznerd123 on March 11th, 2015, 9:55 am

Last edited by Buzznerd123 on May 1st, 2016, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzznerd123
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on March 11th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Very true. Like he says in the audio clip - this whole area of research is brand new. Less than 2 years old. The gut is as big of a mystery as the brain right now.

This podcast actually went live right when i was in the thick of my worst BFS days. I landed on a lot of this research back then (2012) and came running here to share the new data with everyone, but got ridiculed, mocked, and sometimes flat out insulted by some folks. So there's some level of "suck it" in my tone right now towards those who fly jets, and those who hang out in chat rooms.

In any case, the fact that I noticed my gut status / diet / stress levels were significantly affecting my cognitive / neuromuscular / nervous system symptoms lent more credibility to the ideas. So its good to see its being looked into. There are a number of people here with severe digestive disorders of unknown origin, but unfortunately those individuals were not interested in this information either. Strange.

-B-

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Buzznerd123 on March 11th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Buzznerd123
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on March 16th, 2015, 9:40 pm

Isn't that how it always goes?

How many things have I heard only in the "alternative medicine" world for 10+ years that are now getting acknowledged by the medical community?

There's a definite lack of ability to think outside the box in the medical world. They live and breathe studies, but they can't seem to grasp the concept of also acknowledging personal experience, or even group-based experiences. I understand why, but the simple fact is that "pseudoscience" folks are superior for one reason: They live and breathe studies, and they also listen to their patients. They cross reference multitudes of experiences, and (here's the key) even if the information they get doesn't agree with the published studies, they entertain it as a possibility. That's where medical doctors throw their hands up and scream fraud. And that's where medical doctors render themselves utterly useless. Anyone who actually believes that we know everything there is to know, is a complete idiot. And that is where most doctors fit in. Obviously baseless conjecture and irrational stupidity are not good. But the ability to know the studies in-depth and yet stare at an "exception to the rule" without copping a sh*t attidue and sending the person home as a hypochonriac, is unfortunately a skill 99% of doctors can't learn.

The whole heart disease is inflammation theory is gaining major ground now. Started in "pseudoscience". Article after article acknowledging that cholesterol isn't the true cause, are everywhere.
The whole gut / brain axis connection / intestinal permeability / autoimmune trigger theory has opened up entire new fields of study now. Started in "pseudoscience".
The whole "Adrenal Fatigue" thing started in pseudoscience and now it has a name "Hypothalamic Pituitary Axis Dysfunction".
Ulcers were caused by stress for how many years? Pseudoscience claimed it was a bacteria. The guy who published it got mocked out of the room by the "old boys club". Turns out he was right.

As with everything: Moderation in everything is the wisest approach.
Know the studies. Be critical. Learn to identify idiocy and ignore it. But be willing to entertain new concepts. See something that doesn't fit, and find out why. Explore. Research. Admit that you don't know everything, and always be hungry to learn something new. Eliminate the word "hypochondria" from your vocabulary because until Medicine knows everything (never), nobody can ever claim that anyone is just "imagining things".

Fibromyalgia and Multiple Sclerosis were both pseudoscience hypochondria / mental health disorders. Now they have names, treatments, and legit patients.
Doctors love to completely reject something that isn't in their little book, or isn't verified by PubMed.
The idiocy of that mentality drives me absolutely crazy. What ... do they actually think they know everything there is to know?
Therefore if there isnt a published study about it, .... it simply can't exist?

Idiots.

Bottom line? Humans love extremes. One camp too far to the right. Another camp too far to the left. Let both camps (in this case) hash it out.
The only reason the medical camp is going to come forward with actual treatments is because they've got the funds and the tools. They definitely have a crippling handicap: The inability to think outside the box.
I can say one thing for sure: Out of 15 doctors I saw, none of them gave me 1 ounce of advice that helped my BFS.
But listening to a friggen accupuncturist named Chris Kresser who doubles as an integrative medicine clinician ..... completely transformed my world. Because of him, and because of my own research, my BFS is 100% gone as long as I stick to my regimen. So doctors don't impress me. At all. "Pseudoscience' (which also by the way is being given legit names now: D.O. ... integrative medicine ... etc) has given me more tools that lead to recovery than "doctors" ever did.

-B-

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Buzznerd123 on March 17th, 2015, 5:46 am

Buzznerd123
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on March 17th, 2015, 5:59 pm

I really enjoy reading both your posts and agree with all of the above. With how busy the docs are, there is no way they can stay on top of all the newest research since they were in med school in the required 20 or so hours per year of continuing education to renew their licenses. This is why a really good physician will LISTEN to the patient, admit if they don't know, and acknowledge when something is strange and not refer to it as hypochondria, and especially to be willing to investigate and learn.

Remember when eggs were evil? Turns out eggs whites are a best sourcre of albumin, low fat, low calorie and the yolks full of vitamins. That was when cholesterol was the demon.

Yes - right now gluten-free seems to be a "fad" and gluten the demon. However, the internal medicine doctor I saw a few weeks ago at Mayo had written as one of his impressions "suspect gluten intolerance." Now, this is a smart doctor. Floored me becausew we had barely discussed it. Tests at Mayo add disclaimer if celiac labs are negative that "20% of those who have a gluten sensitivity will test negative while still having gluten sensitivity, and more so if they have been following a gluten free diet." What they are saying is they have not developed the perfect test yet. I have been gluten free now for 2.5 months. Whereas I used to cramp a few times per day and so easily induce a cramp (pulling on socks, sneezing, typing, sheets on the foot), I now haven't had a single cramp for about six weeks! My twitching is also down about 85%. Coinkydink? Maybe...I just believe there is more that we do not know, and there is a reason gluten is suspect in many mysterious things. I have heard it said that gluten is just hard to digest. Now, if you are in stellar health - keep eating the gluten. But, if your health is failing in some way without clear cause or cure, a trial of gluten free living won't hurt - might help. Plus, I've lost ten pounds.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics