When all was going well, please help if you can.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

When all was going well, please help if you can.

Postby Tb12 on March 8th, 2015, 3:49 am

Hey guys,
If anyone has followed my story they know I think highly of this board and the people on here, you help me and helped me get through and continue to get through the darkest days of my life. I am now onto my 3rd year of bfs/ALS fear/neuro and other symptoms and whilst still present after 3 years I'm feeling positive the nasty is behind me. I was feeling good I went away overseas and I made what I feel was a mistake and now I'm worried. I know this is not a std or hiv forum but I know people on here know what they are talking about so someone might have advice or point me in the right direction.

Whilst in Thailand about 7 days ago I slept with a Asian women of unknown status with protection and I realised I was exposed to her blood on my condom and some on skin. I quickly cleaned up and tried to put it behinds then bang the next morning I am so sick headache, sore throat, fever, muscle aches, sore eyes, I was bed ridden and opted to fly home after being bed ridden at home for a few days after I realised ok not getting better. I went to the dr and got a routine blood test and my platelets have dropped from 203 to 148 and I'm worried I was exposed to hiv or a nasty? But I was told you can't test for 3 months and now I am worried about hiv a std or even worse leukaemia.. I have had bleeding gums and petachie for years.

Anyone know chances of hiv if I had a condom on? Would I get sick symptoms this quick? Could it affect my platelets this early?

My dr doesn't seem concerned but I always find my dr to be lazy until something is looking at him in the face.

I still have all those symptoms coupled with anxiety over the wait and just as I was feeling good about things.

I know this is not a hiv board but any knowledge or pointers in the right direction would help me.
Tb12

Re: When all was going well, please help if you can.

Postby Yuliasir on March 8th, 2015, 4:02 am

first of all, HIV would not give you immune reaction right next day. Especially it does not give you symptomes of typical acute flu (rather it comes unnoticed or just some lymph nodes swelling).

Condome is unpermeable for blood so hardly you could get STD or HIV this way, skin without scratches also is practically safe even if you had a bit of blood on it. HIV would not decrease your platelet count in no way ( it affects CD cells, not trombocytes). Trombocytopenia (lack of trombocytes) is a symptom of many common viral infection like flu.

If you had petechia for years, this means you probably are easily go on low trombocytes as a reaction for any stress factor (infection etc.)/ Leukemia is not an infectous disease unless it is not a consequence of mononucleosis virus (sometimes it happens unfortunately).
I would like to suggest you to wait 3 month and then get HIV test just to find it is negative.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Tb12 on March 8th, 2015, 4:11 am

Your always such a amazing help, this is why I love this board, amazing people. My mononucleosis is negative and my result for low platelets was: borderline thrombocytopenia at level 148.

Could I have bleeding or anaemia? Without it being leukemia, as in a ulcer? Or what not? As I have a lot of digestive and stomach and urine issues currently under investigation. My ESR and CRP are also high out of range.

Could men get lupus?

You have really put my mind at ease I read google and it sent me straight to the hiv or leukemia death sentence pages.

I'm feeling like death tho, my dr gave me a letter to go to hospital because fever is 40 and been that wag for 4 days I'm just not getting better at all, should I visit? I don't know what other options to take? Thoughts?
Tb12

Postby Yuliasir on March 8th, 2015, 6:19 am

This year flu is extremely bad and many of my frineds had high fever for a few days in row, so it might be just this year flu version.

I would probably agree to go to hospital if you have an option becasue having so high fever for a long time might indicate severe acute infection.

All I know regarding neoplastic diseases in the filed of haemopoetic system rather indicates that they are associated mostly with long term subfebrile fever than with acute high figures (except mononucleosis, but you said it is negative for you), so I would not think about cancer etc. Bacterial or viral infection is much more probable. High ESR also is an indication of acute ifection, same for CRP. Probably you may have GIT or urine tract and this of course mucst be clarified.

At tis level of trombocytes I do not think you may have serious bleeding, just soem increased risk. If you took aspirin or some other NSAIDS, it also might be a temporary effect. I would advice to go to hospital as see where exactly your infection is. High fever means acute process, not chronic, so it is a good indication.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on March 8th, 2015, 2:04 pm

Hi,
Your HIV fear shows why we should all be reassured that what we are facing is a result of our high health anxiety...
I had HIV fear so many times in the past so i consider myself a veteran!
I agree with Yuliasir and her medical analysis. What i would add is that probably you got a flu like virus from Thailand and thats why you got fever. With regards to HIV if you want to clear yourself sooner you can take the PCR test. Its a bit more expensive but you can do it as early as 15 days after the dangerous "incident".
Get well soon and i hope that at least you enjoyed with this Asian woman :-)
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on March 8th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Greetings. May I introduce myself? You are about to hear from the one person on earth who has lived, breathed, and feared HIV every single day of his life for the last 2 years. I am pretty sure at this point I could qualify for an honorary doctorate in infectious disease if it came with an "HIV ONLY" designation :) Seriously .... I had an exposure 2.5 years ago and that's what started this entire nightmare for me with BFS. A huge part of it was my anxiety about HIV. No other stress or fear hits me like the fear of HIV for some reason, and I am heterosexual. It may be because I know two people who got it, and one has died from it. It may be that the 2nd girl I had sex with in my entire life gave me a couple STD's. Who knows.

Anyways, im saying all this because what i am about to tell you is after 2.5 years of almost daily research, reading, studies, etc. So my information is as current, and accurate as you are going to get anywhere. Don't ask me about BFS or any other topic though. Im clueless :)

I was feeling good I went away overseas and I made what I feel was a mistake and now I'm worried.

Same thing I did. Trip to Thailand. Cute girl in a nightclub. Looked healthy and happy. No condom. Sex twice. Woke up the next day and found out she had HIV. I brang "at home" HIV tests with me on the trip to "be safe". Turns out drugs and alcohol make you forget to do things ahead of time, sometimes...

the next morning I am so sick headache, sore throat, fever, muscle aches, sore eyes, I was bed ridden and opted to fly home after being bed ridden at home for a few days after I realised ok not getting better.

Same thing happened to me. Believe it or not. I got super, super, super sick from something. Might have been a bug bite. Might have been anything. One thing I can tell you based on all the current data out there on HIV from the CDC and even the MOST open minded progressive physicians out there: Its impossible for your symptoms to be related to HIV. It takes a lot longer than that to kick in.

But I was told you can't test for 3 months

This is nonsense. And my experience dealing with HIV exposure is why I no longer think Doctors should be given much credit. You can get something called an HIV QUALITATIVE RNA test. And you can get it tomorrow if you want. This test will clear you as of *SEVEN DAYS* post exposure. With the QUALITATIVE RNA test, the accuracy is 90% at seven days, and jumps to 99% at 10-12 days. After 12 days it is 100% accurate, but seven days is sufficient for most people. You can also get an HIV antibody test. The antibody tests these days are now 4th generation ELISA tests and they are accurate down to 22 days post-exposure. For those of us in the USA you can get this very test at Walgreens over the counter now. They are required to say "three months" because of the outliers. Those people who ALREADY have immune deficiencies, and don't generate antibodies in the normal amount of time. Trust me - I went psycho finding out exactly how many people that was!! :) Its about 1-3%. This means at 22-28 days you have nearly a 100% accuracy reading from a run of the mill antibody test that is 4th generation. And at 7 days you have a 90% accuracy with the RNA test. They recommend retesting at 3 months only as a precautionary move. If you have a negative RNA test at 12 days post exposure that is 100% confirmatory and you don't need to test at 3 months.

Anyone know chances of hiv if I had a condom on?

The chances of HIV with a condom on are zero. Unless you had an open, bleeding sore on your own skin outside of the condom at the time, you have zero risk of HIV from this exposure.
Lets put it this way: The chances of getting HIV with NO CONDOM on is 1 in 5-10,000. The chances of a woman getting it from a man unprotected is 1 in 1,000.

Would I get sick symptoms this quick? Could it affect my platelets this early?

Symptoms, if they are going to occur, do not tend to begin for 10-14 days, peaking at about 20 days, and resolving roughly at 27 days. Any symptoms you've experienced at Day 1-3 forward are not related to HIV. No matter how long they linger. So you can relax. Platelets are way too nonspecific to be an indicator of HIV.

My dr doesn't seem concerned but I always find my dr to be lazy until something is looking at him in the face.

Ah! I see you know doctors very well. :) He's probably not worried though because in his head the words: "One in 10,000 chance even without a condom" are repeating over and over. Condoms - even with blood all over them - stop HIV.

I still have all those symptoms coupled with anxiety over the wait and just as I was feeling good about things.

Please. Take it from me. Its the anxiety that's going to kill you. Not HIV. You can't let it fester. I am hoping and praying that my words are giving you true, genuine, deep sense of relief. That's why I babbled on above about my 'credentials'. So that you would put faith in my information. Not because I was trying to show off. I want you to take that very deep breath of relief, and let all your worries dissolve out your chest, arms, and out the top of your head. That's what it feels like to me when I have that moment of relief (after seeing HIV test results for example). Do that now, because you had no risk.

I ended up on this website because of the exact situation you are in. I caused damage to my body on a daily basis by intensely stressing. Intensely injecting stress hormones through my entire body on an hour by hour basis. My body put up with it for about 4 months before everything broke. And it broke bad. I was blaming the HIV medications (I went on post exposure prophylaxis) and it still may be a part of that. But if you already have BFS, this is just going to destroy you. So please ... take it from someone who has literally walked your path already. You have nothing to worry about.

Okay - i see you are 7 days post exposure. You *can* get a test that will eliminate this fear NOW, and put you at ease. I would put significant effort into doing this so that you do not prolong your exposure to stress hormones / cortisol which are just going to ruin your health. BFS only gets better in the complete absence of stress, if it gets better at all. Monday morning call your doctor again. Tell him you want him to order an HIV QUALITATIVE RNA test for you and you want to take the test Friday (thats day 12 for you and 100% accuracy). If you think you can't wait that long, feel free to take it Wednesday. 98% accuracy versus 100%. Make sure he confirms it is not the QUANTITATIVE, but the QUALITATIVE. He can easily order this test for you. If he gives you a hard time, refuses, or claims that its unnecessary, (which I am fully expecting he will do) .... then get on the phone to any local hospital - Emergency Room department. Tell them (very important) you have a recent exposure to HIV (feel free to lie to them because doctors rarely act unless something severe is on the table). Tell them you used no condom if you need to. Its a sick medical system where one has to lie to get the tests they want. But it has been necessary many times for me. So tell them recent exposure to HIV and you want the Quantitative RNA test. They very well may tell you its $400 or something. You may need to go into the ER. Dont worry. Its a legit reason to go to the ER. My childhood friend is an ER doc and he says these happen frequently. If one hospital says no, try a couple more. If you still can't get the test you want (im fully expecting this because the medical system tends to blow massive chunks) ... go online and search for: Online Lab Tests or Online STD testing HIV RNA. Here in the states these searches result in tons of online services where you pay cash, add the HIV test to cart, and check out. THen you drive to a local draw station and they pull the blood. Results are emailed. I dont know about where you are located, but im sure there's got to be at least one. Another option - find the local health clinic that does STD testing in your area, walk in there panicking like you just had unprotected sex with a prostitute in thailand, and ask them where you can get the HIV RNA test.

Please ignore Any and all misinformed fools who may tell you that the test is only for people with HIV, or that its too early to take it, blah blah blah. The hardest part about getting medical care you want / need is navigating the endless obstacles the medical system throws in your way. Trust me I know.

If you have any questions you can find me on skype under HLTGROUPINC ... im on most of the time. I will help you get past this as quickly as possible - because in my opinion - this is all about speed. The longer you stress, the more you will set yourself back with BFS .. and it can take months to recover.

Kevin
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics