Benign twitches and hot baths?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Benign twitches and hot baths?

Postby Xina535 on December 27th, 2014, 3:12 pm

May be a stupid question or post, but has anyone on here sat in a hot bath and their twitching either stopped or was barely noticeable?

This happens to me, and I am just guessing that this is a good way to tell that the twitching is benign, right? Or can people with sinister twitches also find relief from twitching in a hot bath? I don't want to search that in *** forums.

Tried searching on here before posting, mostly found posts how baths will help with anxiety (also true).

Bad news is, after the bath, I decided to stretch while my muscles were warm and while stretching I was shaky and after stretching my entire body was Twitch City! (Does that happen to anyone, after activity, twitches are worse?)
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Benign twitches and hot baths?

Postby misterjuanperalta on December 27th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Intermittent is not progressive. What you describe is intermittence. *** is progressive.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on December 28th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Ok this is a good thing to know. I think I read somewhere before that twitching can die down and come back in ALS patients. Does anyone know about that or does that sound unusual?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on January 2nd, 2015, 6:00 am

Xina535 wrote:May be a stupid question or post, but has anyone on here sat in a hot bath and their twitching either stopped or was barely noticeable?

This happens to me, and I am just guessing that this is a good way to tell that the twitching is benign, right? Or can people with sinister twitches also find relief from twitching in a hot bath? I don't want to search that in *** forums.

Tried searching on here before posting, mostly found posts how baths will help with anxiety (also true).

Bad news is, after the bath, I decided to stretch while my muscles were warm and while stretching I was shaky and after stretching my entire body was Twitch City! (Does that happen to anyone, after activity, twitches are worse?)

Yeah standing in the shower with warm water constantly running down my body is a great tonic

After sex my legs are like world war 3 has broken out :twisted: but worth every minute :mrgreen:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on January 2nd, 2015, 8:42 am

haha - well yes, sex is indeed an activity! Same happens to me, even with other things like needing to sprint to catch a subway, or moving not-so-heavy furniture, etc. Just anything strenuous. Before BFS, I would be able to do it, without any side effects. Now, it takes my limbs to intense twitching levels and dies back down after awhile. BFS is rude and annoying, but I will gladly take it, a million times over, rather than something else....

Man. There's gotta be a cure or something of significance in the world of ALS medicine coming soon - just has to be! I am not up to date on the trials, but please please please let us hear some amazing news soon!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on February 4th, 2015, 11:19 am

Your twitching is being reduced during your bath because you are relaxing your system in a big way.

Baths are huge for treating BFS. Especially if you use Dead Sea Salt. I encourage you to buy some and give it a try. Right before bed. You'll be blown away by how you feel for hours after.

The hot bath relaxes the nervous system and this is exactly how BFS is treated. Repeated episodes of doing anything and everything you can to create this environment for your body.

Trust me. It works. If you stay with it for several months.

You twitch again when you stretch because you've exerted those muscles a bit and shaken things up :) BFS really is just a "current physical state" disorder. You get to create what state your body is in. Calm, or agitation.

The great thing about whole body muscle workouts (mild) is that they do the same thing. You exert your muscles, and you'll twitch more after, but the next day, everything will be so calm, that you'll notice a drastic drop in all symptoms.

You've created a calm, and BFS begins to evaporate. Repeat 3x a week with ample rest, and keep the exercise mild. You will start to see improvement over all with each iteration.

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Rainyjane on October 11th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Hot baths...so hot I could barely get in...really worked wonders for me. I had BFS ten or 11 years. I'm now recovered (about five years). If your doctor tells you you don't have ALS, believe him! They'd have too many lawsuits if they got stuff like that wrong. It just takes time. One day it WILL go away. Xxx
Rainyjane

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management