Wet voice after drinking, doctor is concerned

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Wet voice after drinking, doctor is concerned

Postby Little Lost on January 30th, 2015, 9:17 am

Just drank 10 gulps of water and f..k mine does that too. Honestly my whole mouth feels wet, as expected.
Observed ( very scientificz)

If I say ffffff sounds doesnt sound too wet but anything with a ttttttt sound does.

If I make tut tut sounds directly after drinking it is like my words are splashing in a puddle, though not aware of over moisture.

Takes about 5 normal ( non rushed) empty swallows afterwards for my mouth to feel dry.

Lastly tried twice more and I discovered drinking slow doesn't produce same strength or duration of effect, but fast gulping does.

To test a little volume control, if I fill my mouth to full with water it takes 3 gulps to swallow it all.

Kind of makes sense as the swallow effect is obviously going to activate saliva glands. So perhaps some of the residual fluid is very dilute saliva.
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Little Lost on January 30th, 2015, 9:22 am

Oh and ps ....be aware if your wife catches you with tissue up your nose it might just push her over the edge....be warned
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 30th, 2015, 9:44 am

Thanks Helen. Just a note, the moisture and wetness I feel is in the throat (vocal cords). The voice is just more hoarse, not as clean as it was before drinking.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Little Lost on January 30th, 2015, 9:56 am

If there was a delay in swallowing you would feel excess fluid it in your mouth as well. For example if someone were reducing fluid flow lower down in a pipe, it wouldn't just affect that area but flow further upstream. Also if you had true weakness you would have other effects in that area such as increased infections. The throat is so sensitive to changes and it is the main portal of pathogens into our body. As soon as it starts to be off balance you start getting resp and throat infections due to the bacteria present in every swallow, etc.

Take care and talk good thoughts to yourself.

Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby d4twitch on January 30th, 2015, 7:35 pm

TwitchyDoc,

If you've been on this board for 4+ years, I really wouldn't be worried that this is *** :P. This is almost guaranteed to be something quite minor, if anything at all. I have a very similar problem since October where my voice goes hoarse after eating/drinking and I get that tickle-y feeling right around the vocal chords and have to nonstop clear my throat throughout the day or my voice is hoarse...and I can never actually get rid of that feeling as it comes back within 10 seconds of clearing. I've also choked more often, likely due to the fact that I probably have excess mucus in the throat. It's probably the same thing you're experiencing and is either anxiety or LPR caused by so much worry over the years.
d4twitch

Postby TwitchyDoc on February 2nd, 2015, 2:29 am

d4twitch, that is exactly what I have - hoarseness, tickling..feeling something small got in there.

In addition, I have lost my closest family member 2 days ago (and another one 2 months ago)...now it is just me and my wife on this world...and I feel desperate, alone, hopeless..but that is another story.
Last edited by TwitchyDoc on February 2nd, 2015, 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on February 2nd, 2015, 4:14 am

Hi....I am also very sorry to see you in this spot.

I wanted to quote what you wrote to me when I was freaking out....in hopes this may bring any comfort:

"As for your question about slurring, dysphagia is 8 times less common than dysarthria at the onset of MND, also slurring is typically first in majority of cases. The chances hence would be extraordinarily small."

I did not read anywhere that you are slurring...
Please hang in there. Sending strength and hugs!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on February 2nd, 2015, 6:03 am

Docen, so sorry about your family losses. Surely it does not improve your mood :(
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on February 2nd, 2015, 9:14 am

Docen,

Do you have cervical spine issues? They can be associated with dysphagia.

Sorry about your circumstances.

Juan
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Little Lost on February 3rd, 2015, 5:51 pm

TD,

So sorry for your loss. I lost my mum and dad when I was a teenager. I thought I would never see them again....began to forget how they looked, how they acted, how they spoke. ....every year I lost a bit more of them. When my children were born I was naturally sad they never got to meet them, but then something began to change. As the kids grew from babies into little people I began to see my parents again, in the kids looks, their mannerisms, their features. So many missing memories were all there in them.

The dead have ways of coming back to us.

This is a hard time for you TD, grief is such a high price to pay for love, but it is a deal we can't opt out of.

Thoughts are with you and your wife.

Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ghayes420 on February 7th, 2015, 10:22 am

Sorry for your recent loses Docen. Thoughts are with you during this time.

I know this may not give you much comfort but each sx you describe I described in detail at Mayo three weeks ago. They did every exam on clinical they could think of along with EMG of the tongue and trapezius which has recently shown to be even more accurate for bulbar prediction. Both clean and negative. So I am sure yours would be the same if you were there as well. Hang in there!
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby Ghayes420 on February 7th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Docen, I also get a hoarse voice constantly, to the point my voice can't project and I have to clear my throat. Since I just went and had both a tongue and trapezius EMG show clean, it can't be due to weakness and therefore I am chalking my sx up to constant sinus drainage, occasional smoking and reflux. They certainly can mimic each other.
PS- sorry for the recent losses.
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on April 1st, 2015, 12:28 am

Hi Twitchy

My current issue seems to be similar to yours. If I'm understanding right. I personally have very inflamed lungs that the doctor suspects is from acid etc splashing into the airways and causing irritation. Or back up from the esophagus doing the same. I constantly swallow "down the wrong pipe" if I'm not careful. And this cough that has developed has had me worried for at least 3 weeks.

But ALS never even crossed my mind. GERD has as a common symptom, this sort of manifestation. Apparently even more common in ppl who DONT have typical GERD symptoms. For whatever reason.

I guess my next step is an endoscopy. I really don't want to do it bc of the general anesthesia. But like everyone here, I'm assuming something extreme (something other than ALS) and if I don't check, then I become a possible statistic of non-proactivity I guess. An ENT did the scope up my nose and down my throat a month ago and said it "looked really bad down there" and put me on Proton Pump Inhibitors. They haven't helped.

Want to know what I think? I think we all sit here and drive ourselves insane with anxiety, which creates absurdly high amounts of stomach acid, and we end up with all this crap in our stomach, throat, and sinuses. It only stands to reason that people like us are going to have the worst stomach acid problems imaginable. At least that's what I'm banking on.

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Buzznerd123 on April 1st, 2015, 3:38 am

Last edited by Buzznerd123 on May 1st, 2016, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzznerd123
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on April 1st, 2015, 11:56 am

You know what doesn't make sense to me? Why isn't the esophagus protected like the stomach? I mean talk about an evolutionary fail.

Youve got the most acidic, destructive chemicals in the body right next to sensitive tissues that can't handle it. If anything there should be a gradual tapering of protection layers starting at the stomach, and moving away in both directions.

Or at least - the entire intestinal system having such protection. But as it stands, our esophgus is this tender, easily damaged tissue.

I would guess as a society our diet has gone to sh*t. And probably heavily promotes digestive abnormalities. I know you're sick of hearing this, but exactly how much acid do you think you're going to be dealing with if you do a diet of fresh vegetables, fresh meats, and some safe starches with water? (Modified paleo)

As opposed to what the typical person eats on a daily basis. Fast food, burgers, pastrami sandwiches, coffee? Soda? Add in tons of stress… It's no mystery to me.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group