Talk me down

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Talk me down

Postby RIno468 on January 26th, 2015, 11:17 am

Hello all --

So my story is basically this -- Very active 38 year old -- about June started noticing random leg twitches -- no weakness. Went to Dr Google - led me here -- and the *** forum. Obviously freaked out. I have a history of medical anxiety.

Went to the dr several times -- dismissed me no weakness nothing to worry about. Leg twitches started to come in less and I stopped worrying about it. Did very well.

Fast forward -- had to be out of our house temporarily due to some work being done on the house -- so my family and I slept on the floor of a friends house for 16 days. During this time my lower and upper shoulder / back area were getting hard jolting twitches -- I just assumed this was because of the floor and how I was laying on it -- so for Christmas I got a electronic pulse massager as a present (a TENS MACHINE) I used it on my shoulder and arms -- didn't do much for the twitching but it helped the pain in my shoulder and back - Then one day I decided to put it on my triceps -- and ever since then it has been twitching NON STOP. It has been going on for 19 days now. I went to my doctor about the 4th day in and she was unconcerned - said I just irritated the muscle / nerves with the TENS machine and that because of my hyperexciteability that a TENS machine would make my twitches worse so advised me not to use it.

I feel it mostly in the morning and then it sort of dies down during the day -- lately I can see most of them but feel less of them -- so I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. I lean towards bad thing but that's just me.

My anxiety is at an all time high right now which I know isn't helping things --

I'm just looking for encouraging words because I don't want to go to the Dr again....
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Talk me down

Postby Neville86 on January 26th, 2015, 2:53 pm

My neuro said this:

"Fasciculations, in the absence of clinical weakness, mean nothing regardless of duration or location."
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby misterjuanperalta on January 26th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Further, weakness present is not necessarily ***.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on January 26th, 2015, 4:41 pm

thanks you guys -- those short sentences really help.. its been a rough few weeks
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby wjjw on January 26th, 2015, 6:08 pm

RIno468 wrote:Hello all --

So my story is basically this -- Very active 38 year old -- about June started noticing random leg twitches -- no weakness. Went to Dr Google - led me here -- and the *** forum. Obviously freaked out. I have a history of medical anxiety.

Classic signs of someone who is fine, yet creating their own nightmare. Get away from here ASAP and get on with your life.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on January 27th, 2015, 3:25 pm

TENS machines can do that? I just ordered one for me and my husband - for our random back and neck pains...waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

And Rino - I fully understand. I am 34 and this has happened to me. Was fine many times, but got sucked back in somehow. Also have a life history of GAD (and Panic)...Looks like we also have back pains in common, which by the way, I am learning through several orthopedic and physiotherapy sessions are a big reason for twitching!

My short sentences to you will be that my (4th? or 5th? neuro) told me, "No lameness, no ***" and my husband told me "If you had ***, you'd have it by now" - meaning, I/we would know for sure after this amount of time has passed. You are and you will be OK! :)
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on January 27th, 2015, 5:19 pm

I agree with Bill (wjjw). I read a quote recently that sums it up nicely. Some people create their own storms and then get mad when it rains. Learn to master your own mind and nothing life can possibly throw at you will affect you this way again.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on January 27th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Xina -- that's what my doctor said -- it makes sense though -- youre running an electrical current in your muscles though -- so if youre hypersensitive it could just make the twitches worse, like in my case.

Good news though is that it helped with my back and neck pains :)

Again - thank you to everyone who has responded!
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group