Anyone have surgery? How (if at all) has it impacted BFS?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anyone have surgery? How (if at all) has it impacted BFS?

Postby emmie.s on January 21st, 2015, 6:17 pm

Hi all,
I am contemplating having an elective surgery next month. However, I am curious as to if it will impact my BFS, as I will be "put under" for about 2 hours. I'm worried that the anesthesia will make my symptoms worse...or maybe it will "reset" my nervous system and I will be BFS cured? That's always a nice thought. :)
I have had local anesthesia several times in the past at the dentist's office, and it did seem to make my twitching worse for a bit, but that could've just been a coincidence. Or it could've been the anxiety and stress of going to the dentist, since I HATE HATE HATE getting any dental work done.
Anyone who has had surgery since their BFS started, please let me know if you noticed a change. Thanks.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Re: Anyone have surgery? How (if at all) has it impacted BFS

Postby physerv24 on January 21st, 2015, 6:25 pm

I had septoplasty surgery in November. Was under for about 1.5 hours. There was no change in my BFS symptoms at all. My twitching is as vigorous as it has been from the start.

Vince
physerv24

Postby leaflea on January 21st, 2015, 9:27 pm

Oooooh good question! I have wondered this myself.

I think jebmd had a surgery and said it got worse. Might want to search her posts.

I had local anesthesia at the dentist a couple weeks ago and it took about 9 hours to wear off while it should only have taken 2-4 max. I also have been worse since. I don't fear or even dislike the dentist at all and this didn't occur to me until after I thought this should have worn off a long time ago. I was beginning to wonder if it ever would.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on January 23rd, 2015, 6:36 pm

leaflea wrote:I think jebmd had a surgery and said it got worse. Might want to search her posts.

Yep I went to an old post of hers and it looks like it did get worse for her :(
Hopefully that won't be the case with me, should I choose to go through with it. Thanks all for your input.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on January 23rd, 2015, 11:38 pm

Please be sure to update afterward. Really good question. I also encourage those with dental differences to mention it.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on January 24th, 2015, 4:28 am

My tongue started twitching after lower wisdom tooth extraction, and associated anesthesia or suspected errant needle.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on January 25th, 2015, 5:29 pm

misterjuanperalta wrote:My tongue started twitching after lower wisdom tooth extraction, and associated anesthesia or suspected errant needle.

This was the same thing that happened to me about 2 years ago: after a somewhat remission of BFS (I say "somewhat" because truth is I've been twitching to some degree since I was a teenager) I had dental work done. Namely, I had local anesthesia and my wisdom teeth extracted. Like you Leaflea, it took longer than expected for the anesthesia to wear off, and I remember calling the oral surgeon after hours at his home because I was freaking out that I was still pretty numb for a bit longer than I should've been...he told me not to worry at all, that I was still within the "normal" timeframe. My twitching noticeably increased after that, and then with time it died down again. Hmmm. I bet there is some sort of correlation! At least this lends credence to the fact that whatever it is, thankfully its not A**.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby emmie.s on February 11th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Update on my surger(ies):
So last tuesday I had a mini hernia taken care of (meaning I had an "outie" and some extra skin due to my kids being huge during pregnancy, and I got it taken care of for cosmetic purposes). It was outpatient done in the surgeon's office under local anesthesia. I noticed to change in my twitching at all. It was still there, no better and no worse.
Today I had general anesthesia again for cosmetic purposes, and the surgery lasted around 2 hours. I do notice a minor increase in twitching, but nothing that surprises me. I anticipate that once the anesthesia leaves my body and my swelling/inflammation subsides, so will the twitches.
The good news is that there are no "hotspots," just random flutters lasting a few seconds here, there, etc., which I have always had to some degree for years and years and years. :D
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics