Hyperexcitability phase

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Hyperexcitability phase

Postby leaflea on January 19th, 2015, 7:16 pm

LittleLost -- I love it! You always say things so well...I didn't go looking for bfs. It found me. I know this is not a matter of noticing it more, though as you say there may be an element of that. Just had to tell you again. and the rocking chairs and long tailed cats I can just see it. Love it!! Love your humor!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on January 21st, 2015, 5:31 pm

garym wrote:
raindog wrote:Just want you all to know if ever i progress on to ALS you'll all be the first to know......I promise!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Just want you all to know if ever I progress on to ALS, it will have had nothing to do with my bfs......I promise!! :D

Correct Gary :wink:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on January 23rd, 2015, 6:36 am

Though not necessarily to the extent of hypoglossal palsy, this study suggests that neck injury can cause tongue symptoms.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9431532
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on January 28th, 2015, 2:55 am

I'm sorry for spamming, but this is really causing major panic. I've been crying this whole night. Please help.

Yesterday I was self testing. I stuck out my tongue and then used my finger to press the sides of my tongue. I tried really hard to push my tongue to the left against the resistence, and then to the right.

The left side was weaker then the right. Not percieved weakness - it was really weaker. Could this be normal? Does anyone notice the same thing?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on January 28th, 2015, 3:55 am

Joyce, as far as I know, normally doctors do not test the tongue in this way. So I believe you were far too over any normal practice. That is what I think about idea to test the tongue in a way like doctors test a hand push strength... Then, regarding the fact that you can not push the finger to the left in the same way as to the right - fascial muslces and all related muscle system, including tongue, has the same asymmetry as the hand and leg muscles, so no wonder you cannot PUSH your tonge to the left in a same way as to the right.

the only tests you can do with your tongue is whether you can exert it out long enough, if you can keep it stick out deliberately and if you can move it from side to side (not pushing anything) in a swift and smooth way. If you can do it, it is enough.

I hope I would never read here something like "I dedcide to lift a brick with my tongue and I failed. I am sure this is a real weakness" :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on January 28th, 2015, 6:27 am

Thank you Yulia.

There's a difference in ability to reach my teeth to. On the left side I can't reach all the way back with my tongue, but on the right side I can.
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on January 28th, 2015, 7:09 am

Joyce,
I do not know how else to explain...
Well, you chew mostly on one side. Those side muscles are stronger of course. This is the same muscular and motor asymmetry as you have over the whole body. Each and every ortodentis can tell you that. That is why we have occlusion problems by the way.

The problem with tongue due to its innervation will manifest not in the fact that you can not reach teeth on one side so far as on another. Poorly innervated tongue would betray you in much more simple and easy actions, like just move from side to side. Not HOW FAR, but just to move right and left.
Those kinds of self-testing really resemble me one of our fellow ladies who shared her bad experience with moving a heavy flower barrel with two fingers in order to test hand strength. She was very close to a serious wrist injury.

Neuros, when the do clinical test. NEVER ask you to count your side teeth with the tongue. They do not need that. they ask you to stick it out and see, if it is straight or deviated. Then may as to lift it up. They may ask to move it slightly from left to right, or roll it up and down (to make a 'pipe'). Tht is ALL tests you need to be sure you are healthy.

Joyce, I do not know if it will help to easy your mind, but I re-started my vocal lessons few weeks ago. this time I practive with a teacher in person and one of our excercises involves pushing a cheek with the tongue.
How do you think? me and my teacher do have this difference in how far we can pudh the tongue on the left and on the right?
YES WE DO!
And my teacher told me: "try to push more on the other side, practice and you would reach the same degree on both sides"

I do not want you to practice. I just would like you to know it is normal motoric difference due to asymmetry of face and body, and could not be used as a neurologcial test. No way.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on January 28th, 2015, 7:46 am

Would deviation show with only slight weakness?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on January 28th, 2015, 9:03 am

Do not know. Ask your doctor :) some people normally could have a bit of deviation, more to the end, but please ask the doctor in case of doubts. They had seen tons of tongues and know for sure which deviation is due to denervation and which is just a physiological one.
I personally could expect some deviation at your tongue becasue of excessive and unusual testing (I do not joke, it could be strained as any other muscle).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on January 29th, 2015, 5:00 am

My OCD is going crazy! For three days now I've just been in my bed shaking. I have to go to school now and I don't know how to get through it.

Someone said to me that in bulbar, when you swallow the water will go through your nose. Now I'm scared to swallow! And evertime I do, I feel like a lttle bit of water comes through my nose. Would it be more obvious in bulbar?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on January 29th, 2015, 5:04 am

God I'm so sick right now... In my head. I'm so ashamed to keep posting here, but I have nowhere else to turn.
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on January 29th, 2015, 7:47 am

Joyce,
is there anybody in your closest circle to whom you could speak with full confidence about your current condition? It is really alarming but of course not becasue of ALS. School counselor? Priest? Your persoanl doctor dealing with OCD&? Anybody who is trained to listen cafeully I mean. You need to speak and cry, speak and cry, that is all.

Nope, what you feel is a common illusion (I had it too). In the bulbar palsy water goes out of the nose if soft palate is paralysed and could not be a natural gatewat between mouth and nose. Harly one could miss this state, believe me. Bulbar palsy usually is quite violent so if you feel 'a bit' - it is not the case.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on January 29th, 2015, 8:18 am

Yuliasir wrote:Joyce,
is there anybody in your closest circle to whom you could speak with full confidence about your current condition? It is really alarming but of course not becasue of ALS. School counselor? Priest? Your persoanl doctor dealing with OCD&? Anybody who is trained to listen cafeully I mean. You need to speak and cry, speak and cry, that is all.

Nope, what you feel is a common illusion (I had it too). In the bulbar palsy water goes out of the nose if soft palate is paralysed and could not be a natural gatewat between mouth and nose. Harly one could miss this state, believe me. Bulbar palsy usually is quite violent so if you feel 'a bit' - it is not the case.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer Yulia.

Yes I'm in CBT and can call my psychologist at any time. I've done that today. At this point I've let the anxiety get such a strong grip of me though. ANd I've been to scared to swallow the last few days, so I haven't been able to take my medications.

But you're sure this condition would not come subtle? Like just a little liquid getting through?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on January 29th, 2015, 9:16 am

I am quite sure about that. Joyce, if you are taking antidepressants, the most dangerous would be an idea of quit taking them because you afraid of swalloving. They are not designed for abrupt quitting and probably that is why you feel so bad. So I would advice to take your prescribed meds (as long as you are nor drooling as a baby, your swallowing is fine, believe me).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 29th, 2015, 10:14 am

Yulia is SO right about this! Thank you, Yulia, for being here. Joyce get up and take those medications, it is absolutely a reason you are feeling worse and worse. Swallow. Drink plenty of water today, you are probably dehydrated also. Perceived perceived perceived swallowing difficulties are common with bfs also. Get to class and try to have a good day - tell yourself you have all the time you need to worry about this after class IF you still think you need to.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to The Support Group