New ALS Medication

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New ALS Medication

Postby JOHN1189KY on November 2nd, 2014, 7:22 pm

I know a lot of us on this forum are concerned about developing ALS. I myself, having been cleared by two different neurologist, still suffer from ALS related anxiety. However recently I was reading about medications that are currently in clinical trials for treatment of this disease, and stumbled upon a biopharmaceutical by the name of Genervon. They have a drug (GM604) which just completed phase 2a clinical trials with very encouraging results. The clinical data indicated that 7 out of 8 patients had their progression slowed or stopped at week 12 of the trial. There is a lot of positive news on their webite about this medication, which they are calling a Multi-Target Regulatory Peptide. GM604 controls over 4,000 genes, and modifies ALS disease progression by modulating 8 or more pathways involving up to 22 biologic functions concurrently and dynamically. The results of this trial are statistically significant. This may not be the case for everyone here, but after reading this information some of my anxiety actually improved. So in turn I thought I would share this information and encourage anyone seeking further information to google "genervon GM604" and follow the links to their website. I know all of us here suffer from BFS, as opposed to ALS, but ALS seems to be our common fear. So anything that could possibly ease our health anxiety is worth a shot. Stay safe my friends! Any comments???
JOHN1189KY

Re: New ALS Medication

Postby LKP1231 on November 2nd, 2014, 7:34 pm

I think it's encouraging. The sooner the better it's about time. I read that the second phase was for Parkinson's tho. Either way it's encouraging, but they need to test way more people before they can say it's actually helpful. I really wish something would happen but I think it's still a while away. Such a shame after all these years. If they could just slow it down significantly then at least there's some hope.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Pascal35 on November 3rd, 2014, 10:07 am

Hi John,

I have also checked that yesterday. It looks promising. In addition i found a few more promising treatments.
One is the drug Digoxin which is an existing heart drug and the other is the stem cell treatments.
After 12 months since the beginning of my existing symptoms (twitching), after so many more different symptoms that i "probably" imagined i had, after getting cleared by so many honorable neurologists i do agree with you.
In the long run i think finding a medication that could treat this horrible illness will be a God's gift to everyone who is currently suffering but it will also ease our fears and let us move on...
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby JOHN1189KY on November 5th, 2014, 1:25 am

Located another promising medication for the treatment of ALS: Tirasemtiv. Very positive results which will progress this drug to the final phase 3 trials. This is good news!
JOHN1189KY

Postby JOHN1189KY on November 5th, 2014, 1:29 am

LKP1231 wrote:I think it's encouraging. The sooner the better it's about time. I read that the second phase was for Parkinson's tho. Either way it's encouraging, but they need to test way more people before they can say it's actually helpful. I really wish something would happen but I think it's still a while away. Such a shame after all these years. If they could just slow it down significantly then at least there's some hope.

Regarding Genervons GM604, the trials for ALS and PD are running concurrently. They are going to follow the same protocol for phase 2b. For the PD trial they using "GM608".
JOHN1189KY

Postby LKP1231 on November 5th, 2014, 6:47 am

I wish something would be on the market right now. Great to hear things are moving forward at least. Please keep posting!
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby JOHN1189KY on November 5th, 2014, 9:24 pm

I looked in to the heart medication, "digoxin". Current test seem to indicate that this medicine blocks certain enzymes, and therefore motor nerve cells survive against degeneration. This is also good news. Though it will go through clinical trials to prove efficacy in humans, I assume Doctors could prescribe this medication to patients "off label" for someone diagnosed with ALS.
JOHN1189KY

Postby LKP1231 on November 5th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Very interesting.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Jayden on November 6th, 2014, 11:02 am

Awesome, I guess ice bucket challenge funds are at work.
great news, hope it gets approved ASAP.
Jayden

Postby leroyb on November 11th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Jayden wrote:Awesome, I guess ice bucket challenge funds are at work.
great news, hope it gets approved ASAP.

Fraid not and you'd hope IBC funds would be given to progress GM604 but that almost certainly won't happen either.
leroyb
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LKP1231 on November 11th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Yeah I'm not sure exactly about where all the IBC $ is going. These drugs are already in process of research. It takes a long time, especially if they only test small groups.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby JOHN1189KY on January 16th, 2015, 9:43 pm

More good news from Genervons ALS treatment:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... te-Results

Genervon Biopharmaceuticals LLC today announced that it has submitted results to the FDA of its single compassionate patient trial (GALS-C) following its Phase 2A (GALS001) double blinded, randomized, placebo controlled ALS clinical trial protocol NCT01854294 for its drug candidate GM6. The FDA approved this compassionate-use application for this patient (IND # 120052).

“Because of the tenacity in fighting ALS demonstrated by this patient over the past 10 years and his otherwise-robust health, we felt him to be a perfect candidate.”

"Based on the encouraging results coming in from our GALS Phase 2A trial we were interested in testing GM6 in a late-stage patient," said Dorothy Ko, COO of Genervon. "Because of the tenacity in fighting ALS demonstrated by this patient over the past 10 years and his otherwise-robust health, we felt him to be a perfect candidate." He is a 46 year old male ALS patient who was first diagnosed with the disease in Q1 2005 and by Q3 2008 was quadriplegic and on a ventilator. He has said: “Every waking moment is a fierce battle between iron determination and utter despair.”

CLINICAL OBSERVATIONS:
After a six-dose treatment of GM6 the clinical observation results of the GALS-C patient revealed small but significant improvements from baseline to week 12. At week 2 the patient’s speech video definitely showed clearer articulation than baseline. 2 Weeks after the final dose, patient’s swallow volume was increased 150%-200% to 25cc-30cc. The oral fluid consumption reported by the patient was improved, measuring 250cc total in 25cc increments without leakage. Mouth suction as measured by water column height was increased from 5-8cm to 10-15cm with both 1/8 and 1/4 inch drinking straws. Speech, swallowing, and suction were used as primary metrics based on the theory that the motor neurons servicing the tongue and lips, being some of the shortest, would show any improvement first. During the trial, no adverse side effects were noted.
JOHN1189KY

Postby leroyb on January 19th, 2015, 8:42 am

Yep it is good news. I can tell you there are neurologists in Mayo who are very excited about this drug but the small sample size (12) means not to get carried away yet.

If you want to help ALS patients and get this drug to the market faster please sign the petition below...

https://www.change.org/p/food-and-drug- ... use-in-als
leroyb
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby misterjuanperalta on January 19th, 2015, 10:52 am

NurOwn is another drug that shows promise.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21368&p=160737&hilit=Nurown#p160737
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 20th, 2015, 5:05 am

From the scientific point of view, GM6 is something really new and exciting, showing measurable objective improvements.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics