Tongue, throat, and angioedema

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tongue, throat, and angioedema

Postby lostinneverwhere on January 18th, 2015, 8:37 pm

So a few days ago I was walking home in the cold and my throat got this sudden swelling sensation. Felt a bit hard to breathe and hard to swallow. Fast forward two days I go to the doc for the issue and she believes it's an allergic reaction to my blood pressure medicine (angioedema, facial swelling that can effect the tongue and throat).
So it's been 36 hours since the incident and my tongue and throat still have the sensation at times.

I have trouble (or what seems trouble) swallowing saliva on occasion, but never choke. Food and drink aren't a problem. Occasionally, I have an pressure feeling behind my jaw on both sides and the underside of my tongue feels fatigued or tense.

I will say I have anxiety (just moved and mother recently diagnosed with cancer). And it's been a tumultuous last few weeks.

Is this all in my head kinda thing? I was planning on seeing the doc again if it doesn't subside in a few days.

I've been twitching for over 8 months and was getting my thoughts under control and was hoping to break this thought cycle. Never had a EMG, family doc said sometimes people are just twitchy, and didn't think it was necessary.

I know this isn't a substitute for a doctor but maybe for piece of mind until I get in.
lostinneverwhere
Interested
Interested

Re: Tongue, throat, and angioedema

Postby Little Lost on January 18th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Autoimmune urticaria and angiodema has been reported in some bfs sufferes. Therefore check this out for an explanation and try the IceCube test. If positive you may have to carry an epipen, I do.

Hx

Cold-dependent disorders

Idiopathic cold urticaria is characterized by the rapid onset of pruritus, erythema, and swelling after exposure to a cold stimulus.

The location of the swelling is confined to those parts of the body that have been exposed ( face, neck, hands). When suspected, an ice-cube test can be performed in which an ice cube is placed on the subject's forearm for 4-5 minutes. A positive reaction leads to formation of a hive ( or swelling ) in the shape of the ice cube within 10 minutes after the stimulus is removed . The time course of this reaction (i.e., cold challenge followed by hive formation as the area returns to body temperature) demonstrates that a two-step reaction has occurred in which exposure to cold is a prerequisite, but hive formation actually occurs as the temperature increases.

One proposal to explain this phenomenon is that patients have an IgE autoantibody to a cold-induced skin antigen. Passive transfer (PK-testing) has been reported. Thus, sensitization might occur in the cold, and release of mediators proceeds as the cells warm. Studies to test this hypothesis have thus far been negative. High levels of IgM and IgG antibodies directed against the Fc portion of IgE have been found in patients with cold urticaria, although the clinical significance of such autoantibodies is questionable.

Localized cold urticaria, in which only certain areas of the body urticate with cold contact, has been reported after predisposing conditions such as cold injury; it has also been reported at sites of intracutaneous allergen injections, ragweed immunotherapy, or insect bites.

Systemic cold urticaria yields severe generalized hive formation resulting from systemic cold challenge occurring over covered or uncovered parts of the body. Symptoms are unrelated to exercise or other activities, and the ice-cube test is negative.

Cold-dependent dermatographism demonstrates prominent hive formation if the skin is scratched and then chilled.

http://www.worldallergy.org/professiona ... nopsis.php
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby lostinneverwhere on January 18th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Thanks for the input Lost and I'll check into that. Crazy never heard of that.
lostinneverwhere
Interested
Interested

Postby Yuliasir on January 19th, 2015, 12:33 am

I had something I can report as angioedema after severe stress and it was lasting for 3 days gradually decreasing. No antihystamie had helped of course (becasue there is a different mechanism under this swelling). I also have cold swelling (I remember for about a year or two ago I was writing somwhere here about that - I was holding a cold door frame for a few seconds, maybe for a munite - and for the rest of the day my hand was swollen as a hell. So this type of reaction is quite possible on anxious people (or on hypermobile maybe, I read that cold swelling is more common for hypermobiles, and I am both hypermobile and swelling, and anxious :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 19th, 2015, 1:19 am

I had angioedema at the start of this, just before twitching was noticed. There may be a correlation? Mine is thought to have been a reaction to rosemary in a high quality skin product, took a bit of trial and error to figure it out, but it was miserable! I hadn't been allergic to it in years before. Dermatologist said he does not alike that plant based product. He said "remember, poison ivy is a plant."
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby lostinneverwhere on January 28th, 2015, 9:55 pm

So it's been almost to weeks since I had my first bout with these sensations and some things have changed.

So currently this is what's happening and would appreciate any input.

So I'm having difficulty swallowing saliva and sometimes drier foods. Liquids don't pose an issue. Sometimes when I'm swallowing my throat clicks. My mouth seems to get dry very quick (I'm always drinking water and usually have a piece of candy in my mouth to combat this.)

When I have trouble swallowing saliva and food my throat closes shut and hangs for a moment this opens. It hurts sometimes. I believe because I'm unconsciously trying to force food down my throat. Occasionally it feels like there is a lump below my Adam's apple, sometimes about.

I feel some irritation and discomfort on the left jawline. Maybe TMJ area? And my left ear aches and itches (Doc checked for an ear infection, but didn't see anything).

Today was great. This morning I felt wonderful and all afternoon. When I got home the symptoms returned. And usually if I'm relaxed, like I'm reading a book or watching a movie I never feel a thing.

I've got an appointment on February 27th (it's a ways off, I know) but I'm trying to combat my hypochondriasis and not see the doc till then. I know much of this can be anxiety related.
lostinneverwhere
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group