Is this BFS?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is this BFS?

Postby worrier98 on January 12th, 2015, 11:35 am

Hi guys,

So, I've been having 'BFS like' symptoms for about 9 months now but I just want to ask if these kind of symptoms are defiantly associated with BFS as I've been to numerous doctors who will not refer me to a neuro and have not diagnosed me with BFS or anything else.

These symptoms include:

- random twitches all over the body that sometimes last a few hours (rarely) but mostly just last a few seconds and are normally very strong. It feels like a pumping under the skin which I can see. I've also had problems where my finger for example will literally be flicking from side to side which is very annoying. I do get the twitches which are like a buzzing deep in the muscle or feel like a kind of bubbling under the skin which I particularly get in the arches of my feet.
-Weakness in my arms and legs which feels really strange. It's not like a weakness where i can't do anything, I can use all my muscles fine but sometimes my arms and legs feels like jelly.
-tingling in arms and legs, sometimes itchy as well but not always.
-when my arms and legs are in a certain position they shake. - not always, but sometimes, for example, right now my left arm feels weak and when i put pressure on it, my hand and the muscles in my arm will shake. Also when I'm sat down and I go onto my toes my legs will shake.
- I get pops all over my face all the time and feelings of numbness to which doesn't feel numb to touch.
-sensitivity to bright light, (not sunlight) but when I'm watching tv or on my computer I've started having to squint as I'm finding it too bright to look at. This is a fairly new thing which I haven't mentioned to a doctor.

I'm starting to get increasingly worried and I really just want it all to go away. :(
I'm 17 and have been seeing a counselor for health anxiety for a year now which I think is where this has stemmed from, I'm not asking for any diagnosis but some advice would be really appreciated!
Thank-you
:)
worrier98

Re: Is this BFS?

Postby misterjuanperalta on January 12th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Very young. No worries. Enjoy life.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby kitras219 on January 12th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Yes probably BFS like me :)
I have the same symptoms like you.
Did you have a clinical exam?
Can you see some dents in your muscle like me (thats nothing to worry about as far as i know)?
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.
kitras219

Postby worrier98 on January 12th, 2015, 6:13 pm

kitras219 wrote:Yes probably BFS like me :)
I have the same symptoms like you.
Did you have a clinical exam?
Can you see some dents in your muscle like me (thats nothing to worry about as far as i know)?

I don't know what you would call a clinical exam haha but the doctor did the normal test like walking in a straight line, strength, so pushing against things and stuff like that. No, I don't see any dents.
worrier98

Postby leaflea on January 12th, 2015, 9:26 pm

It certainly sounds like bfs, every single thing you mention sounds like it and has been written about literally hundreds of times on this board if you search each of your key words you will see pages full of information. Health anxiety is common amongst us. Put yourself fully into your therapy. You are young, don't let this illness (anxiety) steal your life. The only thing you wrote about I have not seen a lot here is the squinting. But -- since you mention it...I have that problem also! I have seen an eye doctor a couple of times and told I have developed "monovision" which is not a bad thing...one eye nearsighted and one farsighted - do not need regular glasses or "cheaters" all doctors have told me "a lot of people pay a lot of money to have this done on purpose surgically" -- so maybe a blessing in disguise. I feel I am squinting all the time but just passed my driver's test. Plus, what you describe is a "clinical exam" All the best to you.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby worrier98 on January 13th, 2015, 12:39 pm

leaflea wrote:It certainly sounds like bfs, every single thing you mention sounds like it and has been written about literally hundreds of times on this board if you search each of your key words you will see pages full of information. Health anxiety is common amongst us. Put yourself fully into your therapy. You are young, don't let this illness (anxiety) steal your life. The only thing you wrote about I have not seen a lot here is the squinting. But -- since you mention it...I have that problem also! I have seen an eye doctor a couple of times and told I have developed "monovision" which is not a bad thing...one eye nearsighted and one farsighted - do not need regular glasses or "cheaters" all doctors have told me "a lot of people pay a lot of money to have this done on purpose surgically" -- so maybe a blessing in disguise. I feel I am squinting all the time but just passed my driver's test. Plus, what you describe is a "clinical exam" All the best to you.

Thank-you for the reply. Yeah, I went to an eye doctor back in september last year and they said that my vision is fine...although I wasn't having this problem back then. I think it's just a fleeting thing that's come up with all the health anxiety, I'm probably just imagining it! It is annoying having all this anxiety when I know I'm young and just want to enjoy life! But I'm getting through it and hopefully things will be on the up soon. :)
worrier98

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS