Foot Atrophy

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Foot Atrophy

Postby guitarguy11 on November 23rd, 2014, 4:21 pm

If you have some sort of injury, say something like plantar fasciitis, which is basically tendonitis of the foot, it can take a really long time to heal - especially foot injuries because you use your feet constantly. So, here are my suggestions - never walk bare footed, do not wear flip-flops, get rid of your old shoes, get new stiffer shoes with good arch and forefoot support. Ice your foot down when you can and as much as you can. Injuries like these can be chronic and take a long time to heal. You must be patient and work on not letting it bother you. You also should try to see a physical therapist, if you can find one where you are. They have stretches and exercises that may help you. I know it sounds weird, but strengthening the hurt areas can actually help over time. I had weird hand, arm, shoulder and leg pain, that was constant, until about 6 weeks ago. Exercises that were given to me by my acupuncturist, my Neuro and some internet research are helping me. Good luck.
guitarguy11

Postby German2 on December 26th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Hi Reanne,

this is an older post, but I found in the archive and is exactly on of the problems I am facing since my twitching started. My feet looks exactly the same with the right foot cave is more curved and painful! I always had the same thoughts...Twitching started in feet and is still there. Followed by what I think is foot atrophy. But it's interesting that my left foot is twitching and my left cave is the concerned one with the pain. Meanwhile, after twitching 18 month, I think it is more likely an orthopeadic problem...The pain comes and goes under the foot. It is less strong when wearing special insoles...Meanwhile my left foot is buzzing and went numb quite often and feels s.t. a bit clumsier than the other. But the MND expert told me, if twitching started 18 month ago, it is definitely not in context...I have a degenerative spine syndrom. Maybe it really comes from the back...Though I don't have back pain, too, but more than one herniated dics and prolapses...On the other hand, I have similar muscle decline in hands, due to neuros coming from a sulcus ulnar nerve laesion..So these processes can have more than one reason.

And I agree with the latter post. I have done special foot exercises for a while and it helped. Now I haven't done it for a while and the pain came back..

How are you doing meanwhile, if you read this...?
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby reanne2489 on January 7th, 2015, 11:21 am

Hey

I've been off this forum for a while trying to contain my anxiety. I am overall, less stressed and learning to just deal with these constant twitches as there's not much can be done unless I start to experience real weakness.

Overall, I can say after I had the really bad foot pain for almost a month, it has stopped [mostly], then I ran again on my treadmill and could feel a twinge of it coming back, and on and off for a few days I get slight aches/ twinges in this foot. So I am hoping there has just been an injury to the foot somehow which I need to see a podiatrist about.

I still get twitches however, in the inner arch of this foot, which I can feel and see. But I can also see twitches in the other foot, I just don't feel them.

I now have twitching randomly all over. When it started it was haywire in my left calf and foot especially- my legs felt like they were popping constantly. I still get that, but less intensely, and barely noticeable at times. I'm more aware of twitching in my biceps and triceps now and in my back occasionally as well as my hands.

So I try to view this moving around as a good thing, and that it's less intense as a good thing.

I was worried recently as I did venture over to the ALS forum and was reading of a man who had twitching for 2 years sporadically all over and has some minor weakness he only identified in the clinical exam recently, and the EMG came up with positive sharp waves and fibrillations...but I am trying to remind myself I did not exhibit weakness and my first EMG, although after only a month of twitching, was clean.

I hope you are well! :D
reanne2489

Postby veryworried123 on January 7th, 2015, 3:44 pm

there is nothing concerning here
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby kitras219 on January 7th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Hi.
I have the same dent/hole in my left foot. My twitches began there.
I was concenred about this few days ago.
As far as i remember ive had this since twitches started.
I can feel that my skin is more tensed there. But Im still able to walk or play football.
I think that its normal.
Keep calm and PM me (if you can ;)) if you get know something about that feet arches :)
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.
kitras219

Postby Ghayes420 on January 7th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Hi Reanne,

Probably best not to go to the ALS forum unless you have ALS. There are folks that have ALS that have twitched before their dx. However that is just a small part of a larger problem that they experience. In the case you mentioned the person had "minor weakness he only identified In the clinical exam." After having had about a dozen neurological exams, I can tell you that you would notice something daily if you had weakness detected on a clinical exam. It would absolutely be noticeable in your life somewhere. Maybe he/she waited a while before a visit. If he/she had a clinical exam earlier, surely they would have shown findings. Why was he in the care of a neuro to begin with? For sporadic twitching or a problem? There are always many variables to these stories that won't be answered so it's best not to go there and do irreparable damage to your psyche.
Your sx seem mild compared to many of us, stay positive and keep your chin up! You don't have MND.
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby kitras219 on January 7th, 2015, 7:55 pm

So i looked one more time on my feet arches.
And I have one note... In my opinion your arches exactly the same.
Difference in your pic is caused by lightning and point of view.
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.
kitras219

Postby Ghayes420 on January 7th, 2015, 9:11 pm

I just wanted to add, re: the arches of your feet...I twitch daily in my left foot arch. Like everyday for over three years it was one of my original hotspots.

I had a freak out session about 1 year in because when I was walking I would get this clicking feeling in my left arch and I swore it was weakness. Well, it wasn't and this issue resolved itself over the period of a few months.
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Postby reanne2489 on January 26th, 2015, 9:26 am

Hi all,

I've been trying to keep away somewhat from this forum as life goes on...and i've been finding that has either calmed my twitching/ calmed me which in turn has calmed the twitching.

I still, of course, twitch, but I no longer experience constant popping in my calves or the buzzing sensation in my left calf and foot.

I do still get concerned about my entire left leg being so noticeably thinner than my right, especially at the knee [with it's strange inward curve] and the top of my thigh and also my left arch does have a dent in it.

I am reassuring myself that 1. there is nothing i can do if it is ALS and 2. that it has been 5 months and my twitching is less and finally 3. that according to most neurological studies, patients who present with twitching first and then go on to get an ALS diagnosis, have typically presented clinical weakness by [average] 7.2 months. Now I know I also had some twitches which were fairly regular before the big onset in September, so I could say I've been twitching longer...and I also reassure myself it would be unlikely for such "atrophy" of my left leg to present without weakness also.

So I am now in a better place...still working on ignoring this altogether, so hopefully come summer that's where I'll be.

If anyone ever wants to just offload on worry feel free to message me. I have learned over the past few months to not let the anxiety overwhelm you...it is of course terrifying and natural to worry about the worst case scenario, but for something like ALS, worrying won't change things, and until clinical weakness presents and a dirty emg we are just benign twitchers, and hopefully/ probably that's all it ever was.

I for one, have found for the past year or so, i've been the most unwell i've ever been, and I hope/ believe my twitching may well be down to that. However, I have coped really badly initially with these symptoms...it put me behind at work, i am still now trying to catch up and be more effective at my job, and i made stupid decisions in my relationship which i paid the price for. So really, I do hope anyone else going through that initial stage of fear-stricken worry, will go see a psychologist to help them through it, or use this forum to reach out to others for support. Life goes on, and you don't want to add extra stress on top of yourself when you are already anxious about your health!
reanne2489

Postby Nytviolet on June 11th, 2015, 11:18 am

My feet look almost identical. I've felt that my left foot, leg and arm are weaker (left calf is almost an inch thinner) and I've had widespread twitching for over 18 years. I've never had an EMG but have seen multiple docs and when I mention MND they roll their eyes. I do have SFN which often includes larger fibers too (and can cause limb fatigue). Like you, I've had lumbar issues most of my life, and just because it's not actively painful right now doesn't mean you don't have disc impingement. I'm sure you're fine (your feet look perfectly normal to me). Be well
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Questions About BFS