Thenar Muscle??

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thenar Muscle??

Postby Jenna on January 4th, 2015, 9:28 pm

I read the thread about dents and atrophy. It made me feel better. I guess not reassured enough since I'm still posting this. Ha! Was wondering, my thenar area on my hand, specifically a little above the palm area is more indented in my left hand versus the right hand.

Was wondering, is this normal that one thenar muscle area would be more indented than the other?
Jenna

Re: Thenar Muscle??

Postby Xina535 on January 5th, 2015, 7:17 am

Yes - normal. The hands (and other parts) are not symmetrical, especially because of being right or left dominate. My left thenar is more flat than my chunkier right thenar.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby seanrblock on January 5th, 2015, 11:26 am

Hey! You know this was my freakout for the past three weeks =) I was looking at my right vs left. If I look at my left with my palm relaxed, once you go over the hump of the thenar muscle (toward your index finger), there are two smaller dents right at the edge of the muscle. My left looks nice and no dents. I am guessing mine is because I always hold my steering wheel with my left, and over time it made them look different.
seanrblock
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenna on January 6th, 2015, 12:07 am

I thought it was normal but had to ask. I have no doubts the more we examine our bodies, the more asymmetries, dents, etc we will find. It made me feel better to read that if you really have atrophy, you won't have to place or position the affected body part in certain positions or special lighting to see it. :)
Thanks for the replies.
Jenna

Postby Xina535 on January 6th, 2015, 5:02 am

yes, plus, weakness should preceed atrophy, so you should have some sort of weakness going on if there is true atrophy.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on January 6th, 2015, 7:54 pm

what helped me a lot with my fascination of dents and whatnot was to look at other peoples hands and feet - and not so much notice their difference in their hands and mine, but the common things with their hands -- ligaments showing, dents, etc,,,
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on January 7th, 2015, 4:28 am

Hi Rino - same here. I looked at that too. What helped me also was good old fashioned TIME. The more time went by and the dents or whatever I saw didn't change, the less I focused on them. Then if I were to find something else, it didn't phase me. I am only worried now if something shows significant and progressive change, combined with weakness or some other symptom.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group