Finger pain question

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Finger pain question

Postby anxietysucks on January 3rd, 2015, 3:55 pm

Just wondering if the is BFS related or something else. My index finger hurts pretty bad whenever I pinch my index finger and thumb together (pinch grip). It's making things like clipping my finger nails painful. It's isolated to just that finger. Of course I have had some minor twitching in this hand as well. It's my left hand. So not one I use as much. This rules out repetitive stress, and really carpal tunnel. of course I googled and found a story at the top of the page about a women who had the nasty disease and she noticed pain in her index finger when doing things like clipping here nails. I've had this for two weeks. It's not muscle pain since there are no muscles in your fingers. It has to either be nerve, tendon, or joint pain.

Any ideas?
anxietysucks
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Finger pain question

Postby leaflea on January 3rd, 2015, 6:02 pm

When you google what search words do you use?
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Scboy on January 3rd, 2015, 10:47 pm

You can find plenty of horror stories online if you google anything to do with the body. It's probably nothing to worry about but go see a doctor if you are concerned. FWIW I have lots of aches and pains and they are magnified when I am hyperaware of symptoms. It sucks getting old.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietysucks on January 4th, 2015, 7:41 am

What's tough with this situation is there was no injury or overuse. I've tried resting it, and it's not getting better. There is no apparent weakness. Haven't dropped anything, can lift the dining room chair with just my index finger. It's literally just my pinch grip that hurts. I wouldn't say its a cramp like feeling either. It feels like a sore muscle, but there are no muscles in your fingers. So it can't be that.

I googled finger pain and twitching and found the bad article.
anxietysucks
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietysucks on January 5th, 2015, 1:12 pm

So this morning was the first time I have worn a button up shirt since this started. I didn't have trouble doing it per se, but it was painful. I have also had more and more twitching in my thumb and index finger since this started. I have had bfs for almost 5 years now, so you would think this wouldn't bother me, but it is starting to. I really don't think it could be carpal tunnel because I don't have a job that has makes me use that hand and I haven't injured it.
anxietysucks
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jwb33w on January 5th, 2015, 5:44 pm

Multiple causes of carpal tunnel besides repedative use in work. Leaning wrist/elbows on hard surfaces or even laying or sleeping on it wrong can cause nerve damage over time
jwb33w

Postby Yuliasir on January 6th, 2015, 2:26 am

well, finger does not have motor muscles but still has some soft tissues :)
Pain in the isolated finger most probably is related to benign cyst in the finger joint or in the soft tissue. It is very common (I have two of them or so), sometimes VERY painful and you even could feel hardened piece of something close to nail.

People who got ALS finally are the same human beings, and some of them also will tend to see prodromal signs in every strange issue they had before they were diagnosed. But post hoc not est propter hoc, and, especially becasue fingers do not have motoric musculature and vice versa have a lot of nocireceptors (pain receptors), hardly ALS could manifest with the pain in the nails region where nothing exists to cause neither motoric damage, nor reflex arch disruption (which usually causes pain in case of prevalence of upper morot neuron damage).
Last edited by Yuliasir on January 7th, 2015, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby anxietysucks on January 7th, 2015, 7:43 am

Sometimes I wish you could unlearn all those things you read. Like that movie "Men in Black" just flashy thing yourself, and forget it all.

On a bright side it's feeling better the last couple of days. I talk to a doctor about it (I have a friend who is a doctor) and she felt it was most likely an injury or inflammation of the nerve. She felt it would resolve on it's own over the next couple of weeks.
anxietysucks
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS